Balance Lever Fill Disassembly Question

Addertooth

I recently purchased a pair of Sheaffer pens. They are Balance models which are lever filll. Both are white dot, one with a lifetime nib, the other with a feather nib.

Is the Section a friction fit with the body on these models, or do they screw in like the Triumph nib versions of the pens?

Pictures:

Edited by Addertooth

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addertooth

• kestrel

• Yarchak1013

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently purchased a pair of Sheaffer pens. They are Balance models which are lever filll. Both are white dot, one with a lifetime nib, the other with a feather nib.

Is the Section a friction fit with the body on these models, or do they screw in like the Triumph nib versions of the pens?

Pictures:

Nice find! I too have acquired a Balance 875 which am in the process of getting it back to it’s former glory. I have learned on the forum from a very nice member that the section is removable. It is most likely a tight friction fit / shellacked together for durability, which would need to dissolved to loosen the shellack and very carefully remove the section with section removal pliers. I consider myself a newbie so I am not sure for other models. However, I have seen some online where Balance Fountain Pens have the “piston filler” or the top part that is threaded. I am not exactly the correct terminology for that particular filling system. I hope this helps! Good luck and enjoy your pen restoration!

Friction fit for the lever fillers. I haven't seen one with shellac or sealant holding the section in place in 50+ resacs. Gentle heat when removing and replacing the section is a really good idea but not too much heat lest that lovely Balance become a sparkler. I hold the pen with both hands, using fingers both to gauge heat and shield parts of the pen I don't want to heat. Between my fingers is the part of the barrel I want warmer. Most Balance pens I worked on came apart with fingers. Use caution with the section pliers so you don't overdo it and crack the barrel. I think Ron Zorn is the pro who advocates hearing with the fingers. The pen will communicate with you as you work the pieces apart.

As you might guess, I really like the Balance series. Few things in pendom are prettier than a carmine striated Balance with good color. Enjoy your pens.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

They came apart without too much fuss. I ended up going with #16 sacs on them due to their small barrel size. The Lifetime white dot model has a stiff nib which would poke a hole in a diamond. The feather nib has a very slight amount of flex, perhaps about 4X the narrow line with reasonable pressure.