The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Balance Lever Fill Disassembly Question

balance lever disassembly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2019 - 15:58

I snagged a couple Balance pens which are lever fill. Both are white dot, one with Feather nib, the other with Lifetime nib.

The quick question is whether the Section is a friction fit in the barrel, or a threaded assembly like some of the later pens which are piston fill (which have Triumph nib).

Pictures of pens:

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2019 - 19:47

Friction fit as far as I can remember.  Nice sturdy pens, but you're in the wrong forum, all the Waterman people are going '' :yikes: . Best of luck.

Edited by pen lady, 27 July 2019 - 19:50.

#3 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:38

Yes, my bad, I had too many windows open in different groups, and lost track.  First world problems... collecting too many brands of fountain pens ;)

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,648 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:35

All lever fill Sheaffers are slip fit.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2019 - 14:03

Thank you for the confirmation Ron Z.  I am mid-restore on a desk pen Sheaffer Vacu fill pen, and after looking at these lever fill pens, I had a "it can't possibly be that easy on a Sheaffer" moment.

Picture of the vacu pen carnage... waiting on seals. 

#6 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:59

This is a better picture of the pens.  They are actually green striated, from the seller's photo, I thought they were brown striated.  

The original picture was a bit unclear, I was glad to see they had the translucent sections.

In the picture left to right, lever pen with Lifetime nib, Lever pen with the Feather nib, Tuckaway Mechanical pencil in striated brown, and Tuckaway Vacu fill pen with Triumph nib.

The two new lever filled pens are only slightly bigger than the Tuckaway pencil and pen.  

(Pictures make every story better, except perhaps C-Section stories). 

Edited by Addertooth, 30 July 2019 - 02:04.

#7 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:11

With the use of a hair dryer to heat the body/section junction, both pens came apart.  I fabricated a feed punch with a 3/16th wooden dowel, which was shaved down about 20 thousandths.  Then a groove was cut out of the wooden punch so the tube extending from the feed would not be damaged.  The feed was tapped out after a brief soak of the section/feed/nib.  Those last three parts were put in the ultrasonic cleaner to prepare them for being put back into service.  A new number 16 sac was fitted to each of the sections, and will cure overnight before being assembled into a complete pen in the morning.  Post Edit Note: A number 18 sac would have fit too. 

Pictures:

Edited by Addertooth, 31 July 2019 - 13:33.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: balance, lever, disassembly

Sponsored Content

|