The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Recommendations Please. Wet Writer, Broad Nib, Slow Dry

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MTHALL720

MTHALL720

Mike

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2019 - 15:00

I use ordinary paper like heavy weight ink jet, or composition notebooks printed in Brazil, with Noodler's ink. Looking for a broad nib, wet writing pen which doesn't tend to dry out quickly. Oddly enough my best writing and never drying out nib is my Lamy Safari.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Content

#2 MTHALL720

MTHALL720

Mike

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2019 - 15:01

I'm sorry about the accidental double post.

#3 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,031 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2019 - 16:02

You posted this in the TWSBI subforum, but my wettest broad pen is a platinum 3776 Chartres Blue with a B nib. Pelikan cartridge pens (school pens, really) also tend to be garden hoses.

Good luck.

#4 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2019 - 03:06

Right out of the box, without any tweaking, Pelikan’s are generally wet writers.

#5 MTHALL720

MTHALL720

Mike

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:25

Thank you Old Sakt

#6 MTHALL720

MTHALL720

Mike

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:25

I meant Old Salt

#7 Twister292

Twister292

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:37

My wettest pen is a Lamy 2000 steel with an M nib. But that seems a bit of an outlier, as my Makrolon Lamy 2000 with M nib is a bit less wet. My Lamy Imporium is also extremely wet, and so are all 4 of my Pelikans

#8 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2019 - 18:03

Years ago i wrestled with using fountain pens in meetings where you take a note, the pen sits, take another note. In those settings, i found that for most pens, Ink and Pen handling seem to be key to keep nibs from drying up.
Even in hooded nibs like the P-51 which are pretty resistant to drying up, I found that two things worked for me: Each time i wrote a note, I would slip the section back into the cap. this helped a lot. You dont’ have to thread the cap onto the pen or snap it on firmly with a slip on cap. Just having it inside the cap will reduce dry out until you take your next note. If it’s going to be a while, then by all means secure the cap fully.
Some inks dry up faster than others, some are more likely to crud up a tip then most. You say that you use Noodler’s. I wouldn’t single out Noodler’s alone, in almost all brands there is an ink or two in the line that dry or crud up a nib. Some will do it in one pen and not another. No rhyme or reason to it. I’ve never seen any data on it, but have always suspected that climate enters into the equation. Hot, cold, dry, humid, even altitude all play a part.
There is something to be said for matching pen to ink, and environment. For me there is no set rule. Every pen has a personality of its own. Identical pens can have totally different writing characteristics with the same ink. I generally try to let the pen tell me which ink it likes the best(with a little encouragement from me).

#9 almoore

almoore

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 23:18

I would suggest a Platinum 3776 with a music nib. Great fun to use and definitely a wet writer, mine is loaded with Diamine Sapphire Blue.

If you go Twsbi I'd suggest the Vac700R with a broad nib. I have an Eco with a broad nib, again a wet writer.

Let us know what you decide.

Al

Sponsored Content

|