The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Free Esty To Newbie Collector, Be New To Hobby And The 1St To Contact Me

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Dmact

Dmact

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 21:41

@LobsterRoll Im actually relearning how to write using spencerian as my starting point. Calligraphy is more drawing meaning i can learn a new script in a day or two, but handwriting is a more automatic movement and relearning that is fuuuuun (not) lol

Sponsored Content

#22 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:41

@Lobster Roll
I just put off purchasing the italic nib. I bid for a pen with that nib, and got it for close to what the nib might cost alone.

As for lever filling, dip pen in ink, lift lever, release lever. Lever squeezes the sac, then when released ink is drawn into the sac. Wait a few seconds, remove pen from ink source. I bought an Ink Miser in clear, and it lets you see the ink level going down.

Is this my first enabling? Well team enabling? It might be! I hope you like the pen.

Edited to add that I love italic and stub nibs. They make handwriting look better. Now if you write small, then these nibs might not be for you. I tend to write the size of the lines, but I have proven to myself I can write small with a 1.1mm italic nib.

Edited by Misfit, 22 August 2019 - 08:47.

Posted Image

#23 LobsterRoll

LobsterRoll

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:19

@LobsterRoll Im actually relearning how to write using spencerian as my starting point. Calligraphy is more drawing meaning i can learn a new script in a day or two, but handwriting is a more automatic movement and relearning that is fuuuuun (not) lol

Ohh. I've been trying to improve my handwriting, but not systematically, so it has not progressed far. Spencerian is beautiful. Can hardly imagine the effort involved in relearning your handwriting. Good luck :D

#24 LobsterRoll

LobsterRoll

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:21

@Lobster Roll
I just put off purchasing the italic nib. I bid for a pen with that nib, and got it for close to what the nib might cost alone.

As for lever filling, dip pen in ink, lift lever, release lever. Lever squeezes the sac, then when released ink is drawn into the sac. Wait a few seconds, remove pen from ink source. I bought an Ink Miser in clear, and it lets you see the ink level going down.

Is this my first enabling? Well team enabling? It might be! I hope you like the pen.

Edited to add that I love italic and stub nibs. They make handwriting look better. Now if you write small, then these nibs might not be for you. I tend to write the size of the lines, but I have proven to myself I can write small with a 1.1mm italic nib.

Sounds like a good deal on the italic nib. Experiences like that make me appreciate my purchases more. I've been venturing and trying some stub nibs! They do not seem to make my handwriting look better. But I like using them, and if I adjust, I can make my handwriting look acceptable.

Thank you for the lever filling info. Filling mechanisms... another rabbithole to fall into, yay.

#25 Misfit

Misfit

• Member - Gold

• 1,941 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 18:53

Yes filling mechanisms. Probably why I had to get an Opus 88, that different filling.
Posted Image

#26 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2019 - 20:13

To all the members who posted above, thanks for encouraging  new writers..

Actually it took a while for pen #1 to be claimed.

Since then another request came in, so I sent one to him as well

That said I suppose  I will keep the door open for newbies.

You get to decide if you qualify

Tom

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#27 Misfit

Misfit

• Member - Gold

• 1,941 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:30

You are so nice @ Tom Heath to give away the Esterbrook pens.
Posted Image

#28 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,013 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2019 - 20:58

Looks like another Estie will be in the mail tomorrow

lever fillers are about as problem free as you might expect

assuming the sac is in good working order

Simply immerse in ink  gently pull the lever ,(pressure bar) down  and return to closed position, count to 10  the pen should be completely filled, wipe are with a soft tissue or cloth  and you are good to go

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#29 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• 2,871 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 17:41

Tom, you should get some kind of "slippery slope" award for enabling new addictions!  :D

Heh, heh, heh. The first one is free, doncha' know. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#30 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,013 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:12

On this topic the door remains open ! :yikes: