Bought A New Lamy 2000 Barrel From China Taobao.

tanjialee333

As following up the topic, I have 2 Lamy2000, both have encountered piston damage due to inapporiate usage. Because I never do this in my life sending a pen to oversea for a repair, I opted to sending one my Lamy2000 to Germany for a repair, currently still on the way.

And another one, instead watiting repair from Lamy, I bought a new piston from Taobao seller for just 20 USD, yes completely new set of barrel.the problem now is the color is unmatched to the lower section. They do still many spareparts of Lamy 2000 including the nibs and lower section, but they do not sell it in the upfront store, which you cannnot found on search. rather you've to message him for a request, because I've bought some pens from there, so I was charge 20 USD for a new barrel. Prior to that, he also tell me, there many request buying a seperately nibs demands, that why he has a lot of unsold barrel.

Shop link:https://010leimei.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.1000126.3.1f53713c4djirQ

Any trick to match my new barrel color in a faster way?

post-151526-0-97761800-1563861409_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tanjialee333

• dennis_f

• Glenn-SC

• Intensity

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Lamy original barrel? B)

This was my question also. Who was the seller? Lamy dont make Lamy 2000 parts available to the general public.

Instagram @inkysloth

This was my question also. Who was the seller? Lamy dont make Lamy 2000 parts available to the general public.

They sold seperately of a new pen, I got new barrel from new lamy 2000, the clips, lower section will be sold to somebody else, they dissemble the pen and sell for replacements for the buyers who need

In some respects it's not surprising that the two bodies would vary in colour. When Lamy constructs the 2000, they assemble each indidividual piece and buff the entire body/section/piston knob as a unit, so that the brushing is uniform across the entirety of that individual pen. Thus, if you disassemble one body and sell it in pieces, there could very well be slight but obvious differences in colour from one piece to the next.

Also: the Lamy 2000 makrolon changes colour/tone/shininess over time. If well used the pen becomes more polished, but even without use an older pen will look darker than a newer one. This change in colour can happen quite quickly, even within the space of a few months; a pen bought today may look noticeably lighter than a pen bought a few months ago (and that's not even allowing for the time a pen may have spent in a store and/or warehouse waiting to be sold).

That said, it may not be easy to get the new piece to match the old. Googling "aging a lamy 2000" doesn't give many responses... however, one can find a few videos on how to polish an older pen so that it looks newer. Goulet has at least one video posted where he suggests "polishing" a 2000 (very very gently) using... I can't remember what he suggests using... but you can probably find this video online (try "goulet polishing lamy 2000".... or "removing scratches lamy 2000").

Perhaps "polishing/buffing" the older pen will give you better results than attempting to age the newer one. All of that said, understand that you are probably NOT going to get the two units to match, given the qualities of the material. And there's a very very good chance that you will damage your original piece, or make the two pieces even more unmatched.

It might be in your best interest to cut your losses and just assume that the 20 dollars you spent on the new body has been lost. This might be a safer option than tampering with the pen and risking damage to it.

In some respects it's not surprising that the two bodies would vary in colour. When Lamy constructs the 2000, they assemble each indidividual piece and buff the entire body/section/piston knob as a unit, so that the brushing is uniform across the entirety of that individual pen. Thus, if you disassemble one body and sell it in pieces, there could very well be slight but obvious differences in colour from one piece to the next.

Also: the Lamy 2000 makrolon changes colour/tone/shininess over time. If well used the pen becomes more polished, but even without use an older pen will look darker than a newer one. This change in colour can happen quite quickly, even within the space of a few months; a pen bought today may look noticeably lighter than a pen bought a few months ago (and that's not even allowing for the time a pen may have spent in a store and/or warehouse waiting to be sold).

That said, it may not be easy to get the new piece to match the old. Googling "aging a lamy 2000" doesn't give many responses... however, one can find a few videos on how to polish an older pen so that it looks newer. Goulet has at least one video posted where he suggests "polishing" a 2000 (very very gently) using... I can't remember what he suggests using... but you can probably find this video online (try "goulet polishing lamy 2000".... or "removing scratches lamy 2000").

Perhaps "polishing/buffing" the older pen will give you better results than attempting to age the newer one. All of that said, understand that you are probably NOT going to get the two units to match, given the qualities of the material. And there's a very very good chance that you will damage your original piece, or make the two pieces even more unmatched.

It might be in your best interest to cut your losses and just assume that the 20 dollars you spent on the new body has been lost. This might be a safer option than tampering with the pen and risking damage to it.

thanks bro, you're very professional about pen and the lamy 2000.

and yes i can confirm with here, I bought an original lamy 2000 new with 20 bucks, stop thinking all goods from China are couterfeit, it's living in 50- 70's chairman mao era

Any trick to match my new barrel color in a faster way?

Body oil might work. Rub your fingers on your nose and then rub the pen barrel. Works on Ebonite.

Add lightness and simplicate.

stop thinking all goods from China are couterfeit, it's living in 50- 70's chairman mao era

That's a bit prejudicial.

Not EVERYONE thinks that EVERYTHING from CHINA are counterfeit.

I am amazed that you got a Lamy 2000 for $20, the gold in the nib is worth more than that.

Edited by Glenn-SC

and yes i can confirm with here, I bought an original lamy 2000 new with 20 bucks, stop thinking all goods from China are couterfeit, it's living in 50- 70's chairman mao era

;) :thumbup:

That's a bit prejudicial.

Not EVERYONE thinks that EVERYTHING from CHINA are counterfeit.

I am amazed that you got a Lamy 2000 for $20, the gold in the nib is worth more than that.

He didn't buy the whole pen for $20. He wrote it was the barrel/piston parts. No nib.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

and yes i can confirm with here, I bought an original lamy 2000 new with 20 bucks

?!

You can say that there is a language issue here and that what was meant was "I bought a part of a new original Lamy 2000 for $20".

OK

And if that is the correct intent of the statement, that would still mean that Lamy sold a model 2000 (including raw materials, labor, machining costs, overheads costs, packaging, and shipping) to someone in a remote location so that that someone in that location could then resell just the barrel portion, with the piston mechanism (including thier labor, overheads costs, packaging, and shipping) for $20. That is incredible to me.

Edited by Glenn-SC

Just putting that together with the first post, where the OP clearly states he/she got part of the pen for exactly $20, dont think it was the whole pen that cost $20. The OP describes that they seller splits the pens into parts and sells them separately. The later post was likely a miscommunication. Even budget Chinese gold nib pens cost more than $20.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

It wasnt because it was from China that made me question its authenticity, it was the price & that Lamy 2000 parts arent commonly available.

Once you said it was from someone who breaks down old pens, that made more sense. It still seems surprisingly cheap, but I only see prices for 2nd hand pens on Ebay so I dont know how much the seller is paying wherever theyre finding them.

Instagram @inkysloth

What percentage (in terms of value) does the barrel and filler comprise of a complete 2000?

Considering the price of the materials and labor needed to fabricate?
25%? With the nib, feed and Section, and cap being an additional 25% each?

If you "part out" a pen and sell each 1/4 of it for $20 means that the Seller "resold" the entire pen is for $80.

And for $80 to include profit, the Seller had to be able to buy it for less than that.

(What is the lowest price Lamy charges for a 2000?)

How much would one have to "overpay" for the nib to cover the original cost of a complete 2000 pen from Lamy and be able to make money selling the remaining 3/4 of the parts at $20 each?

I would like to see the reseller's prices because the math doesn't work for me.

Edited by Glenn-SC

What percentage (in terms of value) does the barrel and filler comprise of a complete 2000?

Considering the price of the materials and labor needed to fabricate?

25%? With the nib, feed and Section, and cap being an additional 25% each?

If you "part out" a pen and sell each 1/4 of it for $20 means that the Seller "resold" the entire pen is for $80.

And for $80 to include profit, the Seller had to be able to buy it for less than that.

(What is the lowest price Lamy charges for a 2000?)

How much would one have to "overpay" for the nib to cover the original cost of a complete 2000 pen from Lamy and be able to make money selling the remaining 3/4 of the parts at $20 each?

I would like to see the reseller's prices because the math doesn't work for me.

In Canada, the cheapest you can find a nib and feed (not including the aluminum portion of the barrel) is approx 158$ (cdn). The cheapest (reputable) Lamy 2000 is approx 220$. So, by that math, the nib and section make up about 72% of the cost of the pen. If we're conducting an exercise in determining the relative value of each portion of the pen itself, and if the seller's cost of the nib and feed is based on relative value of that portion of the pen, then the body, the piston, the cap, and the aluminum section make up the remaining 28% of the pen's value, or about 62$ (cdn).

I don't know how they break down the remaining value of the pen, but using the above math and subdividing the remaining 62$ across those four pieces of the pen, and adjusting for the fact that maybe the piston and body cost more than the cap and/or the section, (and then factoring in the exchange value of CDN to US dollars), you can see how maybe, just maybe, 20$ for the body and piston makes sense in that scenario.

This is just a fun exercise of course, because I don't know how Lamy or any reseller might value each part of the pen... but if 62$ canadian = 47$ us, and if you divide that 47 by the 4 remaining pieces of the pen (if each of those pieces is relatively equal in value), you get 11.25us. Multiply by 2 (pen body + piston) and you get 22$ us... so by that very rough and tumble sense of the relative value of each part of the pen, an authentic Lamy body and piston could very well cost about 20$ us. Maybe.

It seems to me that people cannot trust me I bought a genuine Lamy2000 for just 20$ USD. Here I upload the picture again, as the saying goes, a pic win thousands word

And as an experienced buyer in China Taobao, I can confident to tell you that currently, I don't find any fake Lamy 2000 at the moment, the only similar I can find is called Lamy 2000 prototype, as pic attached below

post-151526-0-10363400-1564541222_thumb.jpg

which handcraft by themselves, from another seller, the reason they don't clone lamy 2000 because this pen required sophisticated of process and procedure, technolog plus the relevant materials to produce this pen, unlike the safari, they can clone Safari for 100 percent alike, they do make a similar model like Lamy 2000, but normally they are model of inspiration but different design andentirely different which you can know this is not Lamy 2k on the spot.

Notice that seller do not sell any replacement of 2000 on the market nor in their store in Taobao, you must contact him directly, he might reject to sell you unless you have bought something from him.

Selling in China can be difficult, so who can able offer a lower price will triumph, this seller import Lamy pens directly from Lamy Germany factory as he advertised in his shope main page, and they able to sell it at a very low price, you can get a genuine Lamy 2000 for 100 USD. In taobao you can find a real Lamy safari for 10 USD (yes orignal), the products review will validated this if you're able to read some chinese, as for that they are lazy to deal with warranty things, as they don't speak English or German nicely, not mention buyers know how to send the pen back to Factory for repair, that's why they keep some Lamy 2000s as spare parts for those who will need it, yes they dissembled it for sale, I guess they are some demands buyers who want to try different nibs. But those spare parts are in small quantity and not in stock from time to time.

Btw, Taobao has review and rating for the customer, you can see the review before making any purchases if you have fake Lamy product buyers will leave a bad rating in there and henceforth you know this is not a legit Lamy 2000. and Taobao is strictly prohitbited courterfeit products which they will take down the shop if caught selling fake products.

To best things is I found a place to buy a new 2000 spare parts, because I live Asian region, eBay is real pain to be particularly when it comes to shipping costs, and also I lazy to deal to Lamy service counter.

Prior to that I asked him the price of the other spare part of 2000

Upper section: 150 chines yuan =20 USD (as I bought )

Lower section nib not include 180 chinese yuan

Nibs: 500 Chinese yuan

Clip: didn't ask him
Edited by tanjialee333

Tanjialee,

Have you tried the body-oil approach? Or found any other methods?

Have you tried anything yet?

Tanjialee,

Have you tried the body-oil approach? Or found any other methods?

Have you tried anything yet?

not yet, the color diffrent is obvious between the cap, but gradually match the lower section

https://prnt.sc/om9vek