The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Good Pen And Nib For Enjoying Platinum Lavender Black (Copied From First Stop)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnnie-T

Johnnie-T

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 21:19

I originally posted this at First Stop, but some of us thought it should really be here:

I have been fascinated with the Lavender Black IG ink since I first saw it mentioned. I'd love to make it one of my everyday inks. However, I'm having some trouble getting it to consistently work the way that I like.

The writing in the first picture used a simple dip pen with a fairly broad nib. Not surprisingly, it thins out after a few words, as I didn't re-dip. But it was so great for those first few letters!

I've also tried it with different Preppy nibs. The second picture shows some unusually good results at the top, then fading quickly. I don't know just what's going on.

In another test (not shown) I got pretty good results from 0.2mm and 0.3mm Preppy nibs, but lighter than I like.

Any ideas? 

Attached Images

• Lavender Black from Preppy 0.5 mm.jpg
  • Lavender Black from Dip Pen.jpg

Edited by Johnnie-T, 23 July 2019 - 00:01.

Sponsored Content

#2 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 21:41

What's the ink? Krishna? Where are the pictures?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#3 Johnnie-T

Johnnie-T

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 22:08

I can't post the pictures this minute, but they are in the other thread in First Stop.

I'm referring to Platinum Classic Lavender Black, not Krishna.

#4 Intensity

Intensity

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 23:14

Platinum Classic IG inks are pretty low saturation, requiring a very very wet writing pen to get dark result. You can try some vintage pens with simple ebonite feeds. I’ve not tried them, but I’ve read that TWSBI VAC 700 pens can put down a lot of ink, particularly with the stub nib option. Fountain Pen Revolution pens with ebonite feed will be great for your purpose too, such as FPR Himalaya.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#5 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:31

The writing in the first picture used a simple dip pen with a fairly broad nib. Not surprisingly, it thins out after a few words, as I didn't re-dip. But it was so great for those first few letters!

I've also tried it with different Preppy nibs. The second picture shows some unusually good results at the top, then fading quickly. I don't know just what's going on.

In another test (not shown) I got pretty good results from 0.2mm and 0.3mm Preppy nibs, but lighter than I like.

Any ideas? 

Let's begin with: don't use a dip pen, and don't use a fountain pen only dipped without filling its ink reservoir behind the feed, if you intend to use the ink in a fountain pen and want to experiment with what would give you consistent results.

I had it in a Monteverde Rodeo Drive with a steel Stub nib – yes, it's not gold, and supposedly steel nibs are more susceptible to corrosion from iron-gall inks, but at the price I paid for the pen, frankly I don't care — and it worked great. I have it now in a Pilot Namiki Falcon with a 14K gold SF nib, and it works great there too.

fpn_1563855194__platinum_lavender_black_

Edited by A Smug Dill, 23 July 2019 - 04:14.

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. I believe we're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but no shared values and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking', we're friends

'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

#6 Johnnie-T

Johnnie-T

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2019 - 13:19

That is beautiful! Thank you for taking the picture!

I use a dip pen, along with a Q-tip, to get an idea of ink color. I have seen that it looks very different from how the fountain pen writing ultimately looks. As you said, that's even true when you dip the same pen that you want to write with. But I think it gives you an idea of what you could do with an ink. (The "Pen Plans" picture was written with an 0.5mm nib, not dipped, but coming out of a cartridge filled by me.)

Edited by Johnnie-T, 23 July 2019 - 13:19.

#7 sharonspens

sharonspens

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:22

I haven't tried lavender black, but I do have citrus black. I generally use it in my Platinum 3776 Yamanaka, with a fine nib. I can quickly see the color change with that ink. I tested all fo the ink sat the DC Show a couple of years ago, and this was the one with the most dramatic change, to my mind. I don't think I've had it in a broader nabbed pen, nor have I had it in a vintage pen.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Sponsored Content

|