The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Palladium Trim “Frosting”?!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:38

In short my pen came to me with minimal use (it is a single chick black plastic and silver paint crown, M605 Dark blue) in late April and the trim rings were shiny and beautiful. In the past couple of weeks I have noticed it is quickly frosting over. It sees very careful use and lives in a Pelikan brand leather case with two other pens neither of which show any sign of frosting or brassing. What could be causing this and what can I do to fix it? I do not care about resale value, I just care about my pens. :(

Attached Images

• CFA4A820-F929-4B06-BF26-FEC7F852860C.jpeg

Gobblecup ~

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,208 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:19

Take a silver/gold Sunshine polish cloth to it.

I have a 605, bought years ago at the Galereia Kaufhause for E-99 on sale. **

I don't have that problem. You had me grabbing it out of the pen cup and looking.

Loaded with MB Diamond.

Francis stubbed it down to 1.0 for a fat BB. It is 'butter smooth'. I'd swapped nibs from an M, to a BB, in I knew someday, I'd get it made into a stub or CI and wanted enough tipping to do it to a B.

I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't 'polish it falsely and take away the plating.

**I then being new and ignorant, didn't know how good a 200's nib was, thinking a 200 less than a gold nibbed 400; so was a dumb gold snob also. I could have gotten a yellow 200 for E37, :( :doh: :crybaby:

Still haven't gotten a yellow pen, much less Yellow 200. How was I to know how rare yellow was. :wallbash:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 22 July 2019 - 08:20.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#3 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• 26,856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 14:25

I stopped using Pelikan leather cases. For me, they seemed to always cause corrosion on my pen trim.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#4 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,881 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 16:13

I stopped using Pelikan leather cases. For me, they seemed to always cause corrosion on my pen trim.

Seems like a fallacy on Pelikans part but maybe there is merit to this. I wonder if others have also experienced this?
Gobblecup ~

#5 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,881 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 16:19

I have been reading on palladium, it seems that it is sensitive to acidity. I wonder if the pen cases are treated to be ph neutral. If not, Hannover... what are you doing?
Gobblecup ~

#6 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,232 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 18:11

It could be that the leather is chrome-tanned.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#7 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,208 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 20:51

I haven't put mine in any of my cases, but I normally use just a shirt pocket.

Hopefully a polish cloth will bring it back to normal.

:doh: I have no idea how to test my pen cases....outside of putting a pen in it and leaving it a while. I think I'll make it a habit of using a pen case as little as possible.

Hurray for the pen cup!!! :happyberet:

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#8 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2019 - 18:00

That is not normal behavior and not anything my birds have experienced.  Sorry that you're having trouble.  I do not let my flock live in a case like that for fear of issues such as this.  I can only suspect that that is the main culprit for the discoloration.  Not sure that there is any remedy for it.  I don't know how Pelikan manufactures their cases but would refrain from storing pens in them in the future.  Certainly worth an inquiry to Pelikan though and see what they have to say about the matter.  Good luck.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#9 Zdenek

Zdenek

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2019 - 14:06

Something from the leather? Chromium salts???

BTW, the trims on my M1000 shine like new after fifteen years of storage in the Pelican single case. 

Edited by Zdenek, 29 July 2019 - 14:25.

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” W. Churchill

#10 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,384 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2019 - 15:17

Now I'm going to have to look at the M405 Anthracite Stresemann and the M405 Striated Blue.... :huh: 

Well, I have the Anthracite at hand and it seems fine (the blue one is upstairs on my desk).  And the Anthracite has been in a 12 pen Girologio case for a couple of weeks.  Not sure it it's actually leather, but if it is it's been vegetable tanned -- chrome tanned leather does not hold stamped/tooled designs in it, and can ONLY be painted/dyed or the edges physically cut in some way if you want to decorate it.

I have carried those pens in the 2 pen Parker sleeve at times (although now I'm thinking that *it* must also be vegetable tanned, because of the Parker logo).  

But thanks for the heads up -- I'm going to pay more attention to that in future, especially since those two M405s are, by far, my most expensive pens....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Oh wait -- I'm mistaking "rhodium plating for "palladium, aren't I....?

Edited by inkstainedruth, 29 July 2019 - 15:18.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#11 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,881 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 21:37

The nibs are rhodium plated and the rest of the pens trim is palladium plated from my understanding. The only thing making me think it may not be from the case is that my other pens have been in them and are fine, also it is only the two trim rings frosting. It is not the trim rings on the piston, the crown, or the clip frosting on this pen. My only other supposition is that I have brought this pen into the lab with me some days (I already marked that as a bad idea) and I do work with several things that could have been highly acidic or basic.
Gobblecup ~

Sponsored Content

|