Imperial Pen and Pencil Company, Nassau, NY

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

This is an Imperial Reserve fountain pen in black c. 1952-1954. Its selling feature is the spare interchangeable gold plated stainless steel point housed in a clear container at the end of the barrel. One nib is a medium and the other is a fine. They are stamped SMOOTHLINE over the nib grade over U.S.A. The replaceable nib units are threaded the same as and will fit an Esterbrook pen. Newspaper advertisements show this pen offered primarily by drugstores. They were made by the Imperial Pen and Pencil Company of Nassau, New York, founded in 1945 and operated until bankruptcy in 1956. It's a 5 3/8 inches long lever fill fountain pen that has a short ink sac in order to make space for the spare nib at the end of the barrel. The clip is stamped USA over a crown over IMPERIAL and the lever is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. The trim is lightly gold plated and shows typical plating loss. The barrel is stamped PATENT PENDING, which is also mentioned in advertisements. A search of patents from the period shows no mention of this type of pen. They sold for $1 and came in six colors, including black, blue, and maroon.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ImperialReserveBlack_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by PenHero
Updated company information

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• spacecoastpenny

• ScarletWoodland

• jchch1950

Hello All,

Here is a Imperial I have, not sure if it is the same company or not. I don't see reserve on it. The warranty paper has no name on it.

Pen measures 5.5 inches long capped. It is a piston filler.

post-97431-0-73401000-1563900726_thumb.jpg

post-97431-0-12645900-1563900747_thumb.jpg

post-97431-0-56831200-1563900760_thumb.jpg

spacecoastbanner_FP.png

Hello All,

Here is a Imperial I have, not sure if it is the same company or not. I don't see reserve on it. The warranty paper has no name on it.

Pen measures 5.5 inches long capped. It is a piston filler.

The Imperial Reserve pen above was made in Nassau, New York by the Imperial Pen and Pencil Company. They did not make piston fillers.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Imperial fountain pen in blue and gray molded plastic c. 1945-1956. It copies the long tapered section and small nib from the Waterman Taperite pens introduced in 1945. It was made by the Imperial Pen and Pencil Company of Nassau, New York, founded in 1945 and operated until bankruptcy in 1956. It's a 5 3/16 inches long lever fill fountain pen with a short gold plated stainless steel nib. The clip is stamped USA over a crown over IMPERIAL and the lever is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. The cap and barrel ends are gold plated metal. The 1/4 inch wide cap band has four rows of coin edge decoration. The trim is lightly gold plated. The barrel has no imprint. It was sold in sets with a matching twist action pencil.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ImperialBlueGray_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Imperial fountain pen with a gold plated cap and gray molded plastic barrel c. 1945-1956. It copies the long tapered section and small nib from the Waterman Taperite pens introduced in 1945. It was made by the Imperial Pen and Pencil Company of Nassau, New York, founded in 1945 and operated until bankruptcy in 1956. It's a 5 3/16 inches long lever fill fountain pen with a short gold plated stainless steel nib. The clip is stamped USA over a crown over IMPERIAL and the lever is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. The barrel end is gold plated metal. The trim is lightly gold plated. The barrel has no imprint. It was sold in sets with a matching twist action pencil, as shown.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ImperialGoldCapGray_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Imperial Reserve fountain pen in brown c. 1952-1954. Its selling feature is the spare interchangeable gold plated stainless steel point housed in a clear container at the end of the barrel. One nib is a medium and the other is a fine. They are stamped SMOOTHLINE over the nib grade over U.S.A. The replaceable nib units are threaded the same as and will fit an Esterbrook pen. Newspaper advertisements show this pen offered primarily by drugstores. They were made by the Imperial Pen and Pencil Company of Nassau, New York, founded in 1945 and operated until bankruptcy in 1956. It's a 5 3/8 inches long lever fill fountain pen that has a short ink sac in order to make space for the spare nib at the end of the barrel. The clip is stamped USA over a crown over IMPERIAL and the lever is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. The trim is lightly gold plated and shows typical plating loss. The barrel is stamped PATENT PENDING, which is also mentioned in advertisements. A search of patents from the period shows no mention of this type of pen. They sold for $1 and came in six colors, including black, blue, and maroon.

http://penhero.com/Temp/ImperialReserveBrown_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Love this pen.Maybe it was a little messy but useful. The simple alternative to carry two pens

specially if you can have a fine and a stub nibs.

Hi, Folks!

A set of three pens made by the Imperial Pen and Pencil Company of Nassau, New York, founded in 1945 and operated until bankruptcy in 1956. A dark brown Imperial Reserve fountain pen c. 1952-1954, a black Imperial Reserve fountain pen, and a dark blue and gray molded plastic Imperial c. 1945-1956. These lever fill pens are 5 3/8 and 5 3/16 inches long. The Imperial Reserve’s selling feature is the spare interchangeable gold plated stainless steel point housed in a clear container at the end of the barrel. One nib is a medium and the other is a fine. They are stamped SMOOTHLINE over the nib grade over U.S.A. The replaceable nib units are threaded the same as and will fit an Esterbrook pen. Note the barrel is stamped PATENT PENDING, which is also mentioned in advertisements. The other Imperial features a long tapered section and small nib similar to the Waterman Taperite pens introduced in 1945. The clips are stamped USA over a crown over IMPERIAL and the levers are stamped MADE IN U.S.A. The trim is lightly gold plated and subject to plating loss.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ImperialReservePens_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Woo hoo! I may not have fixed it but I have narrowed down the problem (too wet mostly) and found the perfect ink.

I've called it the pen whisperer and by god it's earned its name: Diamine Honey Burst is liquid magic and my Lamy 2000 now works on every paper I can throw at it. I'm upgrading to a vat of this ink.

How in the heck did that post end up here? I'd never even seen this thread so sorry to derail... somehow?

• 4 months later...

Hi, Folks!

Another one!

This is an Imperial Reserve fountain pen in green c. 1952-1954. Note the cap and barrel are different shades of green. Its selling feature is the spare interchangeable gold plated stainless steel point housed in a clear container at the end of the barrel. One nib is a medium and the other is a fine. They are stamped SMOOTHLINE over the nib grade over U.S.A. The replaceable nib units are threaded the same as and will fit an Esterbrook pen. Newspaper advertisements show this pen offered primarily by drugstores. They were made by the Imperial Pen and Pencil Company of Nassau, New York, founded in 1945 and operated until bankruptcy in 1956. It's a 5 3/8 inches long lever fill fountain pen that has a short ink sac in order to make space for the spare nib at the end of the barrel. The clip is stamped USA over a crown over IMPERIAL and the lever is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. The trim is lightly gold plated and shows typical plating loss. The barrel is stamped PATENT PENDING, which is also mentioned in advertisements. A search of patents from the period shows no mention of this type of pen. They sold for $1 and came in six colors, including black, blue, green and maroon.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ImperialReserveGreen_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!