What Makes The Montblanc 149 Special Other Than Its Size?

jvr

With time, patience, and a little luck a used 149 can be acquired for far less than you might think. I have heard or estate sale finds and local sales ads in places ypu would never imagine a pen would be found. That's a way almost 70 years of production can work in your favor.

Thank you for the advice. Yes, this is should be the route for me to get this pen. If u happen to run into one of these good deals, and you r not interested in it, let me know. I am in the bay area as well :)

I have to admit my last post was a bit tongue in cheek (wrt status and stature part), but the truth of the matter is, I would definitely be interested in getting a used 149, if one of these deals you mentioned comes along.

Edited by salmasry

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samasry

• jvr

• Uncial

• A Smug Dill

Head to the SF pen show in about a month in Redwood City. You can get a lot of hand time with a wide variety of pens. But you are unlikely to find a bargain 149 there. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Head to the SF pen show in about a month in Redwood City. You can get a lot of hand time with a wide variety of pens. But you are unlikely to find a bargain 149 there. :)

Interesting, I will check that pen show out for sure.

For the 149, it is not really urgent or anything close to that,I can wait till the right deal comes along. Thanks again for the pointers my friend. :thumbup:

Edited by salmasry

I'm not sure what you mean by that, unless to you personally there is value in others recognising what a 'good', prestigious, luxurious and/or expensive pen you are using and/or holding. A pen is a consumer good to me, not an asset intended to be resold, so how much my used pens would fetch in the secondhand market is not any part of their value to me, even if you'd argue they're 'worth' such and such to some other prospective buyer/owner. Now, on the other hand, if basking in the reflected 'glory' or prestige in being seen owning and/or using a highly recognisable pen is what I'm after, then that would be value, although in that case I'd choose something like a x-hundred-units-only limited edition Sailor, Platinum, Pilot or Aurora fountain pen any day.

I've posted this video before, but it's always fun to re-watch. This might explain better than I can what I mean by value in relation to Montblanc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny1aC1T8G20

Edited by max dog

As for the M1000, amazon uk store sells the M1000 "B" nib for $350 on amazon.com.

Mind u, it is limited to B nib only, other nib are $200 more.

I did not use them nor can I vouch for them though

Ooh! Thanks for the tip! I was looking for a broad!

Ooh! Thanks for the tip! I was looking for a broad!

U r welcome

Just keep in mind some reviews in amazon, amd Amazon Europe indicate the following

1. u might not get the box, paper, they just send u the pen in a sleeve.

2. Some indicated that the pen with the green stripes pant/body ( i am not sure what else to call it) appeared to be less transparent than what they expected or thought or whatever, so they accused the pen of being the pens who did not make the cut in Pelican QC.

For me, these two issues are not important, because I do not care about the paper box, and u could pay full retail and still get a pen with the second issue, but just wanted to make sure u r aware of these issues.

I've posted this video before, but it's always fun to re-watch. This might explain better than I can what I mean by value in relation to Montblanc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny1aC1T8G20

I expect this video to be a polarizing video.

For some people, It will affirm their choices, their way of life and the value system that they have been living with.

For others, it will definitely be the catalyst that pushes them to avoid montblanc pens like the plague so as not even remotely be identified in any way shape or form, with the person who stars in this video.

Is the person in the video for real? He actually think he is qualified to dispense fashion and class advice? He has followers who agree? Oh the humanity!!!

I am in neither camp wr t the 149, I will still consider a 149 if it is a really great deal, don't get me wrong :lticaptd:

"What makes the Montblanc 149 special other than its size?"

How about, "Generates a page a day no matter how often it was discussed before."?

:)

X

How about, "Generates a page a day no matter how often it was discussed before."?

:notworthy1:

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Pens are used by people. People live in hierarchies. Hierarchies manifest through symbols that are shared with other people.

Any luxury item serves the purpose of symbolizing a high hyerarchy, because it is hard to get (I.e. costs a lot of money). The way it works is by demonstrating that you are capable through your resources (be it ability, or ability to get cash, etc) to obtain this damn thing that is hard to get.

Collector's items give you status inside the community where such items are valuable. Luxury items are symbols of wealth and are recognized by the wider society.

Taking this as precedent, I suppose that a 149 plays a double symbolic position. One in the open community which values wealth, and another in the fp community which values pens.

As a wealthy person I would pay full retail price. As a pen user, I would search one for a bargain. (A wealthy pen collector may pay full price and not complain)

I don't have one, but I like the looks. If I had the resources I would buy one no questions asked.

Tadeo

Pens are used by people. People live in hierarchies. Hierarchies manifest through symbols that are shared with other people.

Any luxury item serves the purpose of symbolizing a high hyerarchy, because it is hard to get (I.e. costs a lot of money). The way it works is by demonstrating that you are capable through your resources (be it ability, or ability to get cash, etc) to obtain this damn thing that is hard to get.

Collector's items give you status inside the community where such items are valuable. Luxury items are symbols of wealth and are recognized by the wider society.

Taking this as precedent, I suppose that a 149 plays a double symbolic position. One in the open community which values wealth, and another in the fp community which values pens.

As a wealthy person I would pay full retail price. As a pen user, I would search one for a bargain. (A wealthy pen collector may pay full price and not complain)

I don't have one, but I like the looks. If I had the resources I would buy one no questions asked.

Tadeo

If by owning this pen, a person seeks status and respect, ...etc, then getting a great deal on the pen can only help that person (by saving some quids) satisfy the need to raise his stature even further. I would call it, stretch your stature by stretching your quid.

If on the other hand the person seeks the pen for the pleasure of writing with it, then getting a great deal on the pen , can help that person also get more pens and get more writing pleasure. I would call that: fill your pen-drawer by stretching your quid.

in either case, getting a good deal is good and getting a great deal is great.

"I would call it, stretch your stature by stretching your quid"

"in either case, getting a good deal is good and getting a great deal is great"

First, thus is a fine statement, second, I couldn't agree more.

True that, I’m amazed this is still running...

No signature. I'm boring that way.

I used to be a middle-aged man, with a bit of a belly, droopy eyes and a squeeky voice. I went about my business, unnoticed by anyone, and when I voiced my opinion, nobody listened or cared. Women did not pay any attention to me. I was a dull, grey squirrel.

Then I purchased a Montblanc pen, and it all changed....

People turn as I pass them by, and then whisper to each other: "Oh my, he's special"! When I order a particular type of coffee to go, men change their orders immediately and ask for the same. Pretty young women blush, giggle coyly and slip their phone numbers to me, everywhere I go. When I speak, no matter where I am and no matter what I say, all around me fall silent and listen intently.

When I drive too fast, and get pulled over by the police, I only need to open the window and look at them to make them apologize for their mistake, and they will clear the highway so I can continue, driving even faster to compensate for the time lost for being stopped.

I could go on and on, but I am a very modest person, don't want to sound my trumpet too loudly. Will leave that for other people to do...

And why is all that? Because it is clear to all: THIS MAN OWNS A MONTBLANC!!!

And you ask, what makes a Montblanc special? Well, now you know...

Is there not a pen meeting/club or show coming up near you - so you can try one out - alternatively, you could go to a MB dealer - they'll let you try the pens in store and that'll give you a feel for it. You don't have to buy.

Having tried a 146 & the Pelikan 600/800/1000 - there's not a huge difference between the two brands from a writing experience. The balance is a little different, but to be honest, I couldn't see much difference between the two.

I tried the 149 at an MB store, but I've got smaller hands, so I went for a 146 instead.

Back in the 80''s/90's in the UK the MB149 was the signature pen for big wigs. They were handed out as gifts or bought as totems of success. They were hardly used - signed a few charity cheques and such like - and many of them are on the UK market now, and they're hardly used.

There's a lot of fakes out there, but a good condition 2nd hand pen will save you money - but make sure it is good condition - an MB repair starts at roughly £90.

I used to be a middle-aged man, with a bit of a belly, droopy eyes and a squeeky voice. I went about my business, unnoticed by anyone, and when I voiced my opinion, nobody listened or cared. Women did not pay any attention to me. I was a dull, grey squirrel.

Then I purchased a Montblanc pen, and it all changed....

People turn as I pass them by, and then whisper to each other: "Oh my, he's special"! When I order a particular type of coffee to go, men change their orders immediately and ask for the same. Pretty young women blush, giggle coyly and slip their phone numbers to me, everywhere I go. When I speak, no matter where I am and no matter what I say, all around me fall silent and listen intently.

When I drive too fast, and get pulled over by the police, I only need to open the window and look at them to make them apologize for their mistake, and they will clear the highway so I can continue, driving even faster to compensate for the time lost for being stopped.

I could go on and on, but I am a very modest person, don't want to sound my trumpet too loudly. Will leave that for other people to do...

And why is all that? Because it is clear to all: THIS MAN OWNS A MONTBLANC!!!

And you ask, what makes a Montblanc special? Well, now you know...

Gold watch, diamond ring,

I ain't missin' not a single thing

Cufflinks, fountain pen,

When I step out I'm gonna do you in

They come runnin' just as fast as they can

'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a Montblanc man

Some pure gold in this thread! Thank you for that.

I still can’t believe it, because this pen has some mythological unicorn dust status, but I own one—a mid-1980s 149 thanks to a gift from a good friend. It was not in great shape originally when my friend got it, and he had it serviced by Montblanc, thus replacing most of the pen in the process. The nib is original but also needed some experienced nibmeister’s help. The end result is now mine, and I was on the fence about it for a while.

Firstly: wow, it’s huge! The section is so thick! That’s both good and bad, and I’m still adjusting to the size in terms of writing comfort. I love the nib though—large and beautiful. It writes well and with a crisp cursive italic flair. I suppose the credit for that should go to the nibmeister, but not sure if it was a stub to begin with.

Secondly: it’s a big and bold Montblanc pen. I equally want to carry it everywhere for the huge-pen-that’s-fun-to-use factor, while also being apprehensive and somewhat embarrassed about being seen with something recognizably expensive like that in general public, since I’m not a business executive nor an attorney, nor a doctor,.. you get the idea. It might just stay a home desk pen for my personal writing pleasure. On the plus side, I don’t have to worry about it being lost or stolen, or damaged that way. I tend to carry pens that blend in with ballpoint look more, like Parker 51s, or cheap but good Kaweco budget model, and the like.

So I’m clearly not the right person to give advice on the objective value of a Montblanc 149. Subjectivity though, I like having one, and until I got it, curiosity about more modern Montblanc nibs was always on the back of my mind.

P.S.: my only other Montblanc is the opposite of 149 — a tiny tiny vintage 252 with a flexy and very small OB stub nib. Excellent pen, one of my favorites and discrete enough to not at all worry about it being noticed.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I don't own a MontBlanc, and I used to rag on the brand for its marketing (and I'm sure there are people who loathe the brand just because Rush Limbaugh used to enjoy waving one around on his TV show). Then I was reading one of the moderately heated discussions over the value of their pens, when a fan pointed out that detractors nearly always go on about the marketing, while fans equally go on about how they write.

From this, I gather that the writing experience is found by fans to be superior to others.

Will you so find it? I don't know. I didn't, when I wandered into a MontBlanc boutique and tried a 149 Meisterstuck in every nib they had (came out wearing several inks on my fingers). But you might. And were I to go back, I might now find it worth my while to pursue one (or far more likely, a 146, as its section diameter comes much closer to my personal preferences). But right now, I find my Pelikan M205 F aqua demo to be a plenty excellent pen, especially with Iro Ku-Jaku.

And the employee at the MB boutique where I tried several 149s saw a rather young guy in scruffy shorts, t-shirt, and somewhat weird bicycle shoes -- I probably had my bicycle helmet with me, too. And I was treated with perfect courtesy and deference. eta: of course, the store was empty at the time; make of that what you will.

Edited by Arkanabar

For me the value is in the pleasure I derive from writing with it. It transforms writing into a truly pleasurable experience. Furthermore, I have larger hands and appreciate the way this thing just fits snugly in my hand. The design is just perfect in my opinion. It's without doubt a luxury pen and I feel that when I am using it. It's not an every day carry for me. I wouldn't take it to work with me and flash it around the office but I do go home and use it and when I do it feels special.