Sailor Urushi Pens

mke

@Honeybadgers

You might be disappointed.

When the water of the Urushi lacquer has evaporated so you can use it, the Urushi is darkbrown. This is called transparent Urushi. It will change the underlying color from "color" to "dirty color", I was told.

Usually, they mix therefore the transparent Urushi with pigment to obtain a colored Urushi-coated pen. How they do with wood? Probably, they simple accept the color change.

If you don't mind, photograph a colored pen before and after using transparent Urushi - and show me please. It would love to how much change it will be.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• Honeybadgers

• samasry

• zaddick

Both Chinese Lacquer and Urushi are made from exactly the same tree species. A tree growing in Japan is no different to the one in China. Urushi Lacquer can be of varied quality in both countries. Best Chinese Lacquer is the same as best Japanese Urushi Lacquer. Parker and S. T. Dupont have some marvellous Chinese Lacquer pens. Chinese Lacquer was as much of a fad in the 70s as Urushi is today.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Both Chinese Lacquer and Urushi are made from exactly the same tree species. A tree growing in Japan is no different to the one in China.

Sorry, but that's a bloody big leap of faith. The soil, weather and climate in different regions can result in significantly different qualities and/or characteristics in plants of the same species and products made from them.

Urushi Lacquer can be of varied quality in both countries.

Sure.

Best Chinese Lacquer is the same as best Japanese Urushi Lacquer.

Same how exactly, and how did you come to that conclusion anyway? By chemical analysis? Or reports of artisans who work with both types of lacquer, and therefore can comment on (any possible differences in) both the application process and the outcomes?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Sorry, but that's a bloody big leap of faith. The soil, weather and climate in different regions can result in significantly different qualities and/or characteristics in plants of the same species and products made from them.

Sure.

Same how exactly, and how did you come to that conclusion anyway? By chemical analysis? Or reports of artisans who work with both types of lacquer, and therefore can comment on (any possible differences in) both the application process and the outcomes?

Sure. Urushi is sap from Japanese Lacquer Tree. Chinese Lacquer is sap from Chinese Lacquer Tree. Big difference.

Although, it is also true that Urushi is sap from Toxicodendron vernicifluum. Chinese Lacquer is sap from Toxicodendron vernicifluum. Big difference?

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy