Sailor Urushi Pens

mke

Sailor has some new pens - Urushi-coated. They jumped onto the departing train.

Sorry, the lighting situation was very bad in the shop and flash was not possible. I thought I would find pictures on the web - but I didn't.

The price for these 1911L-sized pens is a bit heavy - around $800 in Japan.

The form resembles the KoP ebonite.

These are no limited editions.

fpn_1563582252__sailor-new2-scaled.jpgfpn_1563582210__sailor-new1-scaled.jpg

Edited by mke

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• Honeybadgers

• samasry

• zaddick

What's going on with the urushi in that second one, michael? Is it a crackled kind of finish?

It looks really interesting.

$700.... not outrageous. Are they king of pen size?

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

1911L-sized pens - not KoP

US$800 - not $700

I think you refer to the second pen in the two-pen picture, don't you.

That is a special surface. I don't know how to call it. It is a bit similar to the stone-simulating lacquers called ishimeji

Angular%20Momentum%20_%20Manu%20Propria%

Edited by mke

For a regular L... I don't think that's a great deal. Wancher's urushi pens are the same size with a 14k or 18k JoWo at half the price, and you can have it with a clip if you want.

If it was KOP sized, we'd be talking! But yeah, that ishimeji finish is really lovely and definitely a step above a regular urushi finish.

I think sailor really over-values their pens, in my eyes.

*edit* I guess, compared to namiki, we're in relatively the same ballpark, and it's roughly the same price as something like the karasawa blue 3776, so I guess it's not overpriced. I just wish it was a larger size. The 1911L just feels kinda disappointing in my hand, it's about an inch too short unposted, and I would never dare post an urushi pen like that.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

It cost an extra $600 to add Urushi to the 1911L and it cost an extra $1200 to add Urushi to the KOP Ebonite.

This is just outrageous. This is preposterous !!! (ala Kramer's lawyer in Seinfeld)

Someone out there should be able to produce Ebonite + Urushi + MontBlanc size nib for under $1000

There is always something missing , Perhaps I should start my own company and corner this market :lticaptd:

But come on people, u r willing to pay 1000 smacker for a freakin pen and u cant even get the 3 basic ingredients? We should definitely go back to BIC then :notworthy1:

Edited by salmasry

Two possibilities:

1) Search for Wancher Dreampen?

2) You need to look into the aftermarket customization.

Problem is, you don't know what you get if you choose the low-budget way?

Cheap Urushi mixed with up to 90% other resins or good Urushi without or only few other resins, Chinese or Japanese Urushi, number of coatings, manufacturing quality?

The less you pay, the more you go towards the shortcuts.

For a big nib alone, e.g. Bock #8 18K, you pay around $250, Sailors big nibs are 21K and they are not available without a pen attached.

Aftermarket mod

A big pen with a big nib is $500-1000 new, cheaper if bought used ($300-500 depending on the model).

Now add $300-600 for an aftermarket modification by an Urushi craftsperson or up to $1000-3000 if you want Maki-e.

Edited by mke

Two possibilities:

Cheap Urushi mixed with up to 90% other resins or good Urushi without or only few other resins, Chinese or Japanese Urushi, number of coatings, manufacturing quality?

For a big nib alone, e.g. Bock #8 18K, you pay around $250, Sailors big nibs are 21K and they are not available without a pen attached.

Aftermarket mod

A big pen with a big nib is $500-1000 new, cheaper if bought used ($300-500 depending on the model).

Now add $300-600 for an aftermarket modification by an Urushi craftsperson or up to $1000-3000 if you want Maki-e.

I agree. For me the KOP ebonite is a great pen, and it is about $800, but then the Urushi version is $2000

I can justify the pen with decent nib and ebonite to be $800 (barely). I can not justify the extra $1200 for the Urushi, so I guess I know what I have to do , no Urushi for me .

The Sailors look OK, but I'll stick with Nakayas, which are available in a wider array of shapes and finishes at a lower price point.

Two possibilities:

Aftermarket mod

Wait, do the chinese make proper urushi from the urushi tree?

I did not know that. I thought the tree was exclusive to japan.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Grows in Japan, China and Korea ...... as far as I know.

Google tells me this is correct.

Edited by Uncial

• 3 weeks later...

Grows in Japan, China and Korea ...... as far as I know.

Google tells me this is correct.

Chinese lacquer and Urushi (Japanese) lacquer are essentially the same. The trees grown in Japan are a different sub species and produce a higher quality lacquer - they have a higher Urishiol concentration, or something.

And Chinese/Vietnamese Urushi is apparently differently made and apparently mixed with more synthetic resin.

After the lovely discussion on this thread, I went ahead and ordered KOP ebonite, no Urushi.

I got the pen about couple of weeks ago and it is heavenly.

The pen is just a stunner, in looks, in writing and in feel. I am not really sure how it will age, as it does not have the urushi protection, but I could imagine that even if the black Ebonite turns into a brownish color, I would still like this pen very much.

a la S R Brown, Hail to the king, Baby :lticaptd:

One of mine turned a lighter, grayish color not brown. Thar was after 5 years or so.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

This thread made me curious, so I ordered some legitimate urushi lacquer base and plan to try lacquering some wood first, and then a ruined junk chocolate crazed ebonite waterman 52 1/2 V and if that all works, lacquer a ranga.

(yes, I know this is going to take a LOT of time and might not even work, though I should be able to set up a crate with the proper humidity for curing)

Real urushi is relatively expensive, but not prohibitively. The tube I ordered should be enough for at least two or three pens in dozens of coats, and was only $40.

I wonder if I could order Ranga pens, lacquer them in urushi and resell them for $200-300 :P

One of mine turned a lighter, grayish color not brown. Thar was after 5 years or so.

I would be ok with that color as well, thank you for the heads up Zaddick

This thread made me curious, so I ordered some legitimate urushi lacquer base and plan to try lacquering some wood first, and then a ruined junk chocolate crazed ebonite waterman 52 1/2 V and if that all works, lacquer a ranga.

(yes, I know this is going to take a LOT of time and might not even work, though I should be able to set up a crate with the proper humidity for curing)

Real urushi is relatively expensive, but not prohibitively. The tube I ordered should be enough for at least two or three pens in dozens of coats, and was only $40.

I wonder if I could order Ranga pens, lacquer them in urushi and resell them for $200-300 :P

If you can turn that skill into an after market Urushi finish for pens such as KOP, then charging $200-300 would be very reasonable.

Yes, honestly you could. There are a few people out there doing that already. The quality us not great though, but if you can get a good deep shine then the money would be there.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Yes, honestly you could. There are a few people out there doing that already. The quality us not great though, but if you can get a good deep shine then the money would be there.

Who else is doing it? I haven't seen it.