Benu!

Pinmin

Here's what's new from Benu!

Benu designs its own writing instruments and desk accessories, handcrafted in their production facilities. The Company's fountain pens stand out from others--Benu's vibrant color combinations are unique and immediately noticeable. In reviewing Benu's fountain pen collections, they have a dazzling pearlescent effect. A key reason for my interest in Benu fountain pens is their proven quality control/quality assurance program--rigorous testing of each and every pen before shipping. Here are some of the specifications for the latest addition to my daily writers...Benu Model 'Supreme', shown in the photo. I chose the Blue Opal finish, medium nib. The body is created from high quality acrylic resin. The ring and clip are stainless steel. The secure cap is a screw-on type and can be posted. The threading operates flawlessly. The 6 mm, stainless steel nib is the dependable Schmidt, available in fine, medium, and broad. The filling system offers a choice of standard, international cartridges or converter. The weight is ideal and the grip is comfortable. The pen is quite desirable--remarkable quality, performance and price>usd130. My wife, "Let's see your new treasure." Reaction: "Oh, now that's really classy and creative!" Benu Pens are available from acclaimed Retailer/Dealer,penchalet.com

post-15277-0-84188500-1563545325_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• essayfaire

• enuhski

• Honeybadgers

• EmJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This comes across as oddly sponsored.

I don't think it's sponsored, as BENU and Penchalet are both quite reputable.

But if it were any unknown brand or seller, I'd call it sponsored.

I'm glad benu is starting to do some pens with clips, their acrylics are second to none.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hi Honeybadgers!

Although I have collected and used fountain pens 31 years, have never sold one pen, and, have not owned a Benu fountain pen until now, and thus wanted to share the new acquisition. I do business with a number of pen merchants, and because Ron at penchalet.com has treated so well, myself and the friends whom I've referred to him, I did a double kudos to the manufacturer and the Retailer. I agree with your comment--they both have impeccable reputations. Thanks.

Copy that, your writing style just seemed to have that slightly stilted feel of a sponsored article.

But I believe you :)

I love my briolette. The B nib is nice and hoooooooooooooooly (bleep) is the acrylic gorgeous.

I wasn't aware they had a clip model, if I can find it in the same sort of acrylics as the briolette I'll jump on one, so thanks for sharing!

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed the Benu pens and find them intriguing. How do the nibs write? If you like the Benu nibs, what other nibs are you partial to?

If they write well I would certainly pick one up - they look beautiful and I agree the Pen Chalet has exceptional service.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

I have noticed the Benu pens and find them intriguing. How do the nibs write? If you like the Benu nibs, what other nibs are you partial to?

If they write well I would certainly pick one up - they look beautiful and I agree the Pen Chalet has exceptional service.

Hi essayfaire,

Years ago, steel nibs were like nails...scratchy and less-than-enjoyable. But JoWo, Bock, and Schmidt have improved steel nibs so much that sometimes I cannot tell them apart from carat gold nibs. Schmidt does not make their own nibs. They commission at different times, either JoWo or Bock, to produce nibs imprinted with the Schmidt name, and, made to their specifications. I have Schmidt nibs on older pens. They, and the newer Benu, perform very well. For the price, Benu's Schmidt is highly desirable. At the Benu finishes--wow..dazzling! Separately, happy to see your nice comment about Ron (Pen Chalet Owner). He truly is exceptional.

Hi essayfaire,

Years ago, steel nibs were like nails...scratchy and less-than-enjoyable.

I agree! I now have some pens that are steel but write well. I have found that I'm not as fond of TWSBI or Lamy as are some others but that I like many of the nibs on very inexpensive Japanese and Chinese pens.

So perhaps I should have asked, what other pen brands use nibs similar to those in the Benus? Pretty is as pretty does!

Festina lente

They're standard Schmidt nibs. They write smoothly and pretty wet. At least, the broad in my briolette is quite wet and smooth, but a hair overpolished so it is picky about inks or it can hard start (I just haven't gotten around to polishing it off)

They write just fine, but not like anything you haven't seen already. What really sets them apart is the high quality of the fit and finish and the ABSURD beauty of the acrylics that nothing else I've ever seen can even come close to.

looks like advertising to me

Not the first thread also that OP has posted.

But on the topic, I found the Tattoo very interesting.

They're standard Schmidt nibs. They write smoothly and pretty wet. At least, the broad in my briolette is quite wet and smooth, but a hair overpolished so it is picky about inks or it can hard start (I just haven't gotten around to polishing it off)

They write just fine, but not like anything you haven't seen already. What really sets them apart is the high quality of the fit and finish and the ABSURD beauty of the acrylics that nothing else I've ever seen can even come close to.

Thanks for the clarification - I like smooth nibs that are easy to start. The exquisite patterning is what caught my eye, but now that I've seen what the 2019 Pilot VP looks like I think I will try to get my hands on one of those instead as I know I like how they write. I'm not sure if I would like the hexagonal shape of the Benu though I know it is supposedly ergonomic.

Festina lente

The depth of color in the benu is just absurd. They genuinely look 3d (because they are)

Retro5

I agree! I now have some pens that are steel but write well. I have found that I'm not as fond of TWSBI or Lamy as are some others but that I like many of the nibs on very inexpensive Japanese and Chinese pens.

So perhaps I should have asked, what other pen brands use nibs similar to those in the Benus? Pretty is as pretty does!

Retro51

Acme

Others I do not recall right now

Not the first thread also that OP has posted.

But on the topic, I found the Tattoo very interesting.

I find these pens strange, I mean, the proportions, such big pens with a small N°5 Schmidt nib unit are looking like in need of bigger gear. Other makers will go for such pen proportions with a N°6, I think (I might be wrong) Schmidt has no N°6. I'm almost sure Jowo makes these nibs, as the feed system is the same, I mean, its very similar, when Bock has different sizes and feed design for a N°5.

• 6 months later...

I just looked up this Benu forum. I have a Benu Essence model with a fine and a broad nib. The broad nib hard starts and some inks don’t work well in it. I thought it might need to be polished, but I see via this forum that it might have arrived over polished. I’ve got to get a decent loupe...for now I’ll change inks and try again. Thanks for the info Honeybadgers.

“I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn.” - Dorothy Parker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently bought a Benu Scepter III from the aforementioned pen dealer. The different model numbers are for different color schemes. I first saw it in a Facebook posting and wondered "what is that?" I had to look it up. There's no question that the acrylic is somewhat flamboyant and its shape and color are definitely unique. It has a Schmidt #5 nib and although the nib looks small in comparison to the sizable pen, it writes well after taking some time to initially wet the feed. The Scepter obviously can't post, but that's OK. It has no clip, and with its spiral facets, it won't roll off the desk. Despite the wide barrel (5/8" at the joint), the long, narrow section gives you an adequate place to grip without feeling like your fingers are impinged by the edge of the barrel. With the 3/4" diameter of the ends, it takes a pen case with wide slots to accommodate it. It may not appeal to everyone's taste, but I'm enjoying this unique pen.

49986434776_d55550d148_w.jpg

Edited by wikeh2004

Reads like an influencer....not a review...no need to have the promotion for the vendor...even including the website URL...

• 7 months later...

I've spent the last couple of minutes just checking out Benu pens on Goulet and the official site. I'm almost convinced I will get one at some point but I'm not sure which one to get. Which is the most comfortable in the hand? Pens not having a clip bothers me for some reason though I hardly ever use them. Is the Euphoria the most conventional looking one out of all the Benu pens out there? Also, would it be better to order from their website directly or should I just order from Goulet?

Thanks! 

The Supreme is a tapered cylinder design with clip. The other model with a clip is the Tessera. (Based on Pen Chalet listing).

The Briolette, Minima, and Scepter are the ones without clips, and the Scepter definitely is nothing "conventional" (the Briolette is a faceted "cigar"/"torpedo" shape).