The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Moonman 80

moonman 80 parker 45

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:52

Does the long Moonman 80 take genuine Parker cartridges with a good, tight fit.

I have a pack of Parker Blue/Black cartridges to use up.

It is sad that while the pen is a clone of the Parker 45 it isn't an exact copy when it comes to the nib unit. It wouldn't screw all the way into my Parker 45. It's 'M' nib is broader than I like.

Sponsored Content

#2 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:20

I wager even among Parker 45 that might varies ... I had all and several of Hero 800, Moonman 80 / 80s , and Parker 45 , and did try it before; I can interchange their nibs all of them . and yes the Moonman 80 does teak Parker Cartridge ( I had only try it with an old empty one though ) ; why not try out that Moonman 80 Mini .. probably the best alternative variant and one which Parker never offer , essentially a pocket 45.

That stated ; I think there is enough of a variation , all of them , that one cannot with 100% certainty saying all of them will interhchange on parts , but the C/C part I am fairly optimistic that they do fit

Edited by Mech-for-i, 20 July 2019 - 07:18.

#3 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:54

The ebay sellers allege that the short 80 does not take a converter.

True, or not?

You can never be sure about the accuracy of the translation when technobabble is concerned.

The short Moonman must surely take a short cartridge. The syringe-type Parker converter is the same length as the long Parker cartridge.

The Quink mini cartridges do not come in Blue/Black.

Better to buy the long version & converter & use whatever ink brand/shade is your current favourite.

Edited by Dip n Scratch, 19 July 2019 - 13:10.

#4 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:06

I know the short one takes short parker cartridges, so I'd wager yes.

The short one DOES take a VERY specific converter made specially for it. It's like a buck fifty squeeze bulb converter, and it works just fine.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 20 July 2019 - 03:06.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#5 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:26

One of the things I dislike about a proprietary cartridge. The other ink makers, like <insert your favourite here> don't do their ink in them.

It's an unfortunate result of making a really close copy of a Parker pen that the user needs to have a converter or they have a really restricted choice of ink. If they don't get into refilling empty cartridges from a syringe.

Is the Moonman 80 a smooth writer? I know a genuine Parker 45 is.

I was tempted by the mini Moonman 80. But then I saw a review by TruthPil. I have a Delike Alpha & that is short enough & the mini 80 is shorter still.

I can understand that they might have intended it to fit inside a journal. I must use the Delike posted, so the mini 80 would be unusable un-posted. For me anyway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moonman 80, parker 45

Sponsored Content

|