Choosing A First Parker Pen

Aekold

Hey folks,

I am choosing between a few Parker models and would like to hear your advice. Pics are attached.

So I enjoyed my Waterman Hemisphere Green Marble Lacquer for its weight and lacquer and looking for similar materials for the shaft. I loved Chinese Lacquer for its look on Parkers.

I am considering currently Parker Premier Chinese Lacquer, couple of Chinese Lacquer Sonnets, and a Terra Cotta (I know, it's not Chinese Lacquer, but the cap is amazing).

What can you tell me about those pens? Are their shafts all made of lacquered metal? Is Premier's cost justified? Premier is currently going for a little less than $600 at Montgomery's, while I can snatch lacquered Sonnets for $200 and Terra Cotta for $250.

Your thoughts will be very helpful!

post-152272-0-39321600-1563485684.jpeg

post-152272-0-51977700-1563485693_thumb.jpeg

post-152272-0-97910000-1563485704_thumb.jpg

post-152272-0-77335100-1563485718_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aekold

• pajaro

• Marlow

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Premier is absolutely a lovely, well-balanced pen, however for that price I would want at least three in different finishes.

Here's a mint, unused one that sold recently:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parker-fountain-pen-The-Premier-Collection-Laque-De-Chine-18K-nib-Never-used/233282264739?hash=item3650b4dea3:g:YckAAOSwFpddI4S0

I have no experience of Sonnets other that finding the lacquer to be extremely thinly applied so I don't rate the lacquered versions at all. A sterling silver cisele one is probably a nice pen.

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Prices seem a bit high. I paid $80 for a used Terra Cotta.

Montgomery is high priced. You can buy from the first advertiser you find, or have more patience. How big a rush are you in to buy these pens? The lacquer Sonnets from that earlier time are uncommon. Patience should bring more satisfactory results. If you are in a big rush, though, it will cost you.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

You're missing some great pens that way. Other than my Vectors (most of which were UK-made) I have a low opinion of the QC on modern Parkers. On the other hand, if you were willing to look at vintage pens, you could not do better than a Parker 51 Aerometric for writing experience. Or a restored Vacumatic for capacity (and in many cases, beauty), or a 45 for ease of disassembly by a non-professional. Or even a capillary model Parker 61 for just plain fun to fill and write with.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm not in a rush at all, but I don't think I wanna buy a used pen

When pens like the Chinese Lacque Sonnets have gone out of production, I suggest you can either pay a high price from the high priced sellers, or you can search over time for other NOS pens. At some time used samples will be easier to find, but if you want new, then a choice remains between immediate purchase or searching for a lower price for new. Simply that.

After buying many vintage pens, I saw nothing wrong in buying the dangled sample of Terra Cotta to see what it looked like. I think I am glad to have had it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

From my research and experience:

Vacumatics: Awesome design, small pens, not easy to swap inks or clean.

Old Duofolds: no experience but take them into account.

Parker 51: lots of people seem happy with them, I don't like hooded nibs simply on aesthetic grounds.

Parker 61: seems very similar to 51, that small adornment makes an aesthetic difference, perhaps not as reliable.

Parker 75: To me this represents the best of Parker and I eventually managed to get one; small but comfortable, the Ciselé looks like the best overall classic, mine's a Milleraies.

Sonnet: I have two, they evaporate like crazy, not sure if this is across the board but it's noticeable, drives those of us who want a specific ink colour and reliability crazy. Otherwise nice pens, not sure if they are really top end items in spite of more luxurious finishes; I find the 75 much superior.

Newer Parkers look really bland or plain ugly to me.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

................ so, you see what happens when you ask others for their opinion - to which they are more than entitled. :), and I'd agree that ignoring pre-owned is a way of not experiencing some of the best f.ps. ever made - but of course we all have our way of approaching a purchase.

My two cent's worth would suggest that you should buy what turns you on, not someone else, and providing you're buying quality then whatever it is should at least be fit for purpose, and it it's not then you go straight back and get a replacement. The other issue here is that most modern f.ps. of reasonable quality - given the same gauge nib - will produce a very similar result on paper - so big bucks aren't necessarily buying a better writing machine.

Attached is a picture of one of the 75 lacquers from somewhere around the early '80s that looks like it's done more than just good service - possibly tortoiseshell or red quartz - looks like someone's taken w. & d. to the body, so perhaps if you intend really heavy usage then avoid the lacquers.

But this one still writes as it was intended originally, though no longer the fairest of them all.

post-125342-0-69275500-1563637004_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulS

Thank you for your suggestions guys! I went for the Parker Premier Chinese Lacquer in a mint condition and was able to get it for $150 off eBay. Can't wait to try it out!

For an overwhelmingly good writing experience, either a Parker 51 Aerometric or an Aerometric UK Duofold. Both can be sporadically found completely restored on Peyton's Street Pens, accompanied with a warranty. I'm not a shill. I just like them. A lot. I saw a Parker 17 Super with a HUGE stub nib on their site once.

I generally tend to stay away from modern Parkers, as their nibs are small fry compared to the monsters you can find in the wild.

A Parker 75 Premier...that's a really good fountain pen. Probably better than a Sonnet, which was intended to replace the smaller and basic Parker 75. You got a squeeze filler, which is the best sort of Parker converter.

Parker currently offers a Premier, which is a different pen, first offered about ten years ago to fill the gap between the modern Duofold and the Sonnet. It is said to write well, although I hated the metal grip when I tried one.

As mentioned above, the Parker 51 is the all-time greatest fountain pen. Ken Parker wanted the P-75 to replace the 51 as Parker's top-line, or gift, pen. It is said to have been the only fountain to increase sales after the ballpoint took off.

For more info on the P-51, the P-75, see Tony Fischier's Parker Penography, at http://parkerpens.net/

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight