Hello From A Fellow Pen Enthusiast From Ohio, U.s.a!

sabre123

Hello, all!

Long time lurker, and just got my account approved today.

My wife and I go to a lot of estate sales, and I'm always on the lookout for collectible pens (fountain and ballpoint). I really enjoy the hunt and it always amazes me how these pens show up in the most random places. I haven't found anything too exotic...yet.

I typically come to this forum when I'm trying to determine the model of a particular pen, and can't say enough about the members who freely share their expertise. I'm very grateful for all information, past, present, and future.

Thanks for reading,

Mark

Edited by sabre123

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sabre123

• mitto

• inkstainedruth

• Jim25253

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Greetings! Welcome from Sunny St. Louis!

"There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know." - Harry S Truman

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome from a fellow Ohioan! Maybe I'll see you at an estate sale tomorrow :) .

Hello from the corn fields of SW Ohio. I've always been curious about estate sales. Is there a website you check to find them? Cheers!

Welcome from a fellow Ohioan! Maybe I'll see you at an estate sale tomorrow :) .

Sadly, I'll be working.

Hello Mark and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Greetings from Pittsburgh (home of those who bleed black and gold... B)). :W2FPN:

I've gotten a few really awesome pen finds at estate sales (a Parker 41 in a shoebox full of mostly ballpoints -- I could have paid five bucks for the entire box), Forest Green Parker 51, and (a few months ago) an Osmiroid India ink pen in the original case at a sale a few blocks from my house). Sadly I've also seen nothing, or overpriced junkers, or, at one last winter, a lovely looking sterling silver Parker 75 ciselé finish pen with a damaged nib for more than I could afford (and that was after standing in line for over an hour in the freezing cold -- the line stretched around the block and the estate sale company was only letting a few people into the house at a time; I never actually got into the house -- fortunately the pens were in a display case on a table outside the garage...).

I generally suggest that new people click on the "View New Content" button when they log in, to get a good overview of a range of topics. Don't do what I did when I started, which was to read the Parker Forum. All of it (back 7+ years ago it was 175 PAGES of threads.... It's much bigger now... :o). You can adjust how much to get at a time in the sidebar on the main page when you log in.

I also suggest that you have a look at the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews Forum (we live in the era of Ink -- I had no idea when I started using fountain pens that you could have more than blue, blue-black or black ink for color choices).

But of course we are also all shameless enablers, who will happily help you spend your discretionary funds on pens, inks, paper, repair tools, storage, pen shows, ephemera.... Speaking of pen shows, I don't know how close you are to the Columbus area, but one of the major US shows is in Dublin, just north of Columbus, generally around the first weekend in November. It's the "close" show for me (the first year I could only go on Friday due to a prior commitment, and actually day-tripped the 3+ hours each way). It's a great show, with many of the tables specializing in vintage pens, and I always have a wonderful time at it. (My first show was DCSS, at its old location, and that show was just huge -- I almost didn't know which way to look first).

So have fun, ask questions, and share your experiences with likeminded people. :D

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I generally suggest that new people click on the "View New Content" button when they log in, to get a good overview of a range of topics. Don't do what I did when I started, which was to read the Parker Forum. All of it (back 7+ years ago it was 175 PAGES of threads.... It's much bigger now... :o). You can adjust how much to get at a time in the sidebar on the main page when you log in.

I also suggest that you have a

I've been to a few sales like the one you've mentioned. I really don't like standing there watching everyone walking out with 'MY' treasures in their hands!

Thanks also for the tips. I really appreciate it.

Welcome!

Glad you are with us!

:W2FPN:

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 5 weeks later...