The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lovely Broad 51 Vac Nib!

vacumatic parker 51 broad nib stub nib

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 18:20

Hi folks,

I had my eye on a 51 on Ebay that only had four fairly uninformative photographs and fairly minimal description (made in Canada, Parker 51), but the nib looked potentially interesting (though  a little out of focus) It could have been blurriness - or a very broad nib. I made an offer of £20, and figured at worst I would have a parts pen. 

Turned out to be a 1947 vac-fill 51 in reasonable condition, with a seriously broad stub nib. I've only dipped it so far, but it writes really nicely. I'm waiting for a diaphragm & shellac in the post (my last bottle of shellac dried out), and I've been soaking the nib in clean water for the last couple of days. I can't wait to get it up and running!

48316417931_f620f6a4ea_z.jpg51 Vac, broad stub nib by Robin Inkysloth, on Flickr

48316535572_1a793b606d_z.jpg51 Vac, broad stub nib by Robin Inkysloth, on Flickr

Edited by Inkysloth, 18 July 2019 - 18:27.

Instagram @inkysloth 
My website http://inkysloth.moonfruit.com/

Sponsored Content

#2 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 18:44

That looks to be a very nice nib, and a very good price of £20, even needing a new diaphragm. I have just bought a similar 51 Vac for the same price but with an ordinary broad nib.

Nice find

79 minus your age plus 40 eaquals the year you were born.

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,843 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2019 - 19:09

Wow.  You definitely scored on that one.  You may be in the running for "Sumgai of the Week" with that pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2019 - 19:21

congratulations - how did the rest of us miss that. ;)

#5 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,902 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2019 - 21:06

Great find! Broad and stub nibs on P-51’s are rare as hen’s teeth. Enjoy it.

#6 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 21:36

Congratulations!

#7 Paul80

Paul80

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2019 - 21:51

I suspect I was watching that one as well, I did wonder why it finished early when the bids were still quite low, obviously your offer of £20 was enough to tempt the seller to end early. I bet with better pictures and patience the seller would have got more than £60 if it ran to it's conclusion.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vacumatic, parker 51, broad nib, stub nib

Sponsored Content

|