A New Pfm

AD43

I recently got this (in fact it just arrived today by special delivery) a PFM 2 from Carneil Pens.

The photo quality is not great (mac webcam) so I may upload more and better quality pictures.

post-134478-0-27848700-1563444243_thumb.jpgpost-134478-0-32393500-1563444253_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• AD43

• eharriett

• BaronWulfraed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have two - a Mk. III and V, and the nibs on both have a very slight upward lean - yours doesn't appear to be any different, unless the pix are misleading, so all would seem to be o.k. Nice pen by the way.

Edited by PaulS

some pix that might be of vague interest re Sheaffer's take on up-turning their nib tips. As an ignoramous on most things Sheaffer, I've little or no knowledge of why this company have evolved their own nib profiles - other than the obvious thought that lifting the tip a shade helps with smoothness. Like most things, not a new idea - goes back to somewhere in the middle of the C19 and appears to have been an invention of Macniven & Cameron as a solution to the problem of steel dip nibs digging heavily into the paper when writing.

So a flexible and upturned nib point - but without tipping material - proved more usable than those without. This invention was intended apparently for dip nibs only, and in theory, at least, a well made 14 ct. nib, with good tipping material shouldn't need this tilted profile, but maybe it's proven to be so indelibly associated with Sheaffer that it's become 'their' selling feature. My indebtedness to Deborah Gibson of 'goodwriters pens' for allowing me to steal the above references to M. & C., without asking - thank you Deborah.

Attached are three pix showing ………….

Lady Sheaffer model 923 with 'Stylpoint' nib - I could be very wrong but these Lady pens seem to show this upturned feature more noticeably than other models - my opinion is that it's too extreme and detracts from the line of the pen - perhaps Sheaffer considered that ladies needed smoother tips. This degree of tilt is inclined to suggest someone has in fact bent the nib.

A Snorkel with large tubular white metal nib (some are bi-coloured), showing the tilt confined to the very tip of the nib. From a design point of view this looks better on the eye and is reminiscent of spoon tipped nibs.

the large 14 ct. inlaid V nibs from several model ranges - this one is on a Snorkel, but is found on Imperials. PFM and Touchdowns. A more gradual curve which is attractive, though whether it achieves a better result when hitting paper - than a standard profile tip - I've no idea since I can't write. Acres of tipping material, so you'd assume a smooth writing nib whatever angle it had.

P.S. apologies - as is often the case, gremlins have reversed the order of the pix.

post-125342-0-16666500-1563458740_thumb.jpg

post-125342-0-79915700-1563458754_thumb.jpg

post-125342-0-15542300-1563458769_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulS

Congrats on a great pen!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

In the case of the inlaid nibs (and, looking at a to-be-resacced snorkel desk pen, Triumph nibs), the subtle up-turn appears to be to make the very tip parallel to the pen -- as would be found with common/traditional "open" nibs.

The Intrigue, oddly, does not have the ski-jump curve. And is the only Sheaffer pen I'd be willing to use with carbon paper or duplicating check books. That nib goes beyond "nail" into "rail road spike" territory.

That Lady Sheaffer looks bent to me... I just looked at an old Lady Sheaffer Skripsert IX, and that "finger nail" nib looks quite straight.

I have only three Lady pens - couple of 620s (Imperial style and a single 923 - all with Stylpoint nibs) - plus another model with the flexible clip not a clue which model is was - and they all have what might be described as a 'creased' finger nail nib - i.e the nib appears to have a definite transverse fold line, a little forward of the breather hole.

Whether the example shown above is a tad more upturned than is normal, I'm not sure - think I'd need to see many more examples to be sure, but there's no doubt this Stylpoint nib has an odd appearance and can't bring myself to describe it as straight. :)

Am certain I had a Sheaffer with an eternal nib - now can't find it - but of the c. sixty Sheaffer pens, it was the only one that came with an eternal nib - not a clue now which model it was - definitely a modern job though ………. this is ref. comments about carbon paper or duplicating cheque ;) books - but most are nails anyway. Give me a flex job from the 30s any day.

Regret that I really don't do Sheaffer - in the U.K. we don't see the variety of models in the wild - and it's a brand that I can't get into - so must remain ignorant.

Geesh! How do you guys find these? Ive been trying to make a trade for a PFM without the metal cap or buy one for a reasonable price for about 6 months and every time I see one it sells!!

Gotta get up early in the morning I guess. Im a late riser 😁

PFM - esecially the Mk. V - are now more of a collectors pen, and since not made for long get snapped up quickly...…….. depends how badly you want one, but you may need to pay the asking price or go without. :) Perhaps set your alarm for five in the morning ;)

That Lady Sheaffer looks bent to me... I just looked at an old Lady Sheaffer Skripsert IX, and that "finger nail" nib looks quite straight.

+1

Specially since the feed no longer touches the bottom of the nib.

yes, always possible - though as mentioned my few examples of the Lady do have a crease to some degree across the midriff of the nib.

I wonder if their previous owners were a little heavy handed. :)

Geesh! How do you guys find these? Ive been trying to make a trade for a PFM without the metal cap or buy one for a reasonable price for about 6 months and every time I see one it sells!!

Gotta get up early in the morning I guess. Im a late riser

In the uk certain websites are offering five pfms at once!

And often two or more are Vs

In the uk certain websites are offering five pfms at once!

If you don’t want to share the sites publicly, could you PM that site to me?

• 2 weeks later...

I once read that the nibs were upturned to avoid piercing carbon paper, which was one of Triumph nib's specialties.