The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

So I Bought A Twsbi Go...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:24

I wonder I feel that they changed the section's plastic or is it still the same HDPE stuff they used with the previous models? potentially the barrel will crack much like their previous models assuming I feel they used HDPE for it but not on the section hmm... anyone got ideas?

Sponsored Content

#2 pararis

pararis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 15:38

Mine is now in a landfill, where it belongs.

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,937 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 16:55

Well, I've had a 580-AL for a couple of years now -- no issues about the plastic so far (my understanding is that problem was fixed several years ago).  And just bought a second pen recently, the purple 580-ALR.  Of course there's still the issue of the piston not extending all the way to the back of the feed....  Which I think is a design flaw on the 580-ALs.  

The TWSBI Go pens don't particularly interest me.  I'd definitely consider buying an Eco or an Eco-T, though, if I could find a color I like.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 Twister292

Twister292

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2019 - 13:56

Well, I've had a 580-AL for a couple of years now -- no issues about the plastic so far (my understanding is that problem was fixed several years ago).  And just bought a second pen recently, the purple 580-ALR.  Of course there's still the issue of the piston not extending all the way to the back of the feed....  Which I think is a design flaw on the 580-ALs.  

The TWSBI Go pens don't particularly interest me.  I'd definitely consider buying an Eco or an Eco-T, though, if I could find a color I like.

The piston doesn't go all the way down to the feed on the Eco either; the plastic ridges inside the barrel apparently help with driving ink down the barrel when it's running low...

#5 Brianm_14

Brianm_14

Write like no one is watching

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 19:58

My Go should be a Went. I simply cannot recreate my state of mind, the one I was in when I bought it.

As I think I said in slightly different (and inferior words) elsewhere in these pages, the Go is the answer to a question that should have never been asked. Where is a "love-it-or-double-your-money-back" offer when we need one? The best I can figure it, is that they named it the "Go" in the sense of, "Where's your bathroom, I've got to really GO" because it is such a piece of cr*p.

I am keeping it as a cruel but pointed reminder of my credulity.
Brian

#6 kcnib

kcnib

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 19:01

I’ve used mine almost weekly for about a year. Obviously, I like it. I use it for sketching concept plans and find it dependable and not one to attract attention although I found it looks and feels better than what I imagined from the pictures. 

#7 Steveg58

Steveg58

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:44

Nothing wrong with my GO. I even bought a second one with a broad nib to fill with Baystate Blue. I don't particularly like my 580 for reasons that are not design or manufacturing faults. My Vac 700R is just fine and it regularly ends up in my EDC case.

The GO is not a pretty pen but works well and behaves well. I'f you don't like your GO then gift it to me  :D.

#8 Steveg58

Steveg58

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:08

@Algester, I'm not sure what the section is made of. It isn't the same hard plastic as the body or my Vac700R or my 780. It is a kind of translucent colour that makes me think of clear silicone rubber but it is much harder. There have been no signs of it wanting to crack. I have not been able to find anything that discusses what the material is.

#9 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:40

so the mystery continues... ABS or something Nylon base is something I was hopeful for

Edited by Algester, 04 December 2019 - 06:41.

#10 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:10

Not fixed. Both my 580's are junk. Barrel on one, section on the other. Only one still working is the Eco.
The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.

#11 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:22

Well it's a novelty pen, isn't it? 

It's a question of expectations, is it not? Anyone think it would write as well as a Platinum 3776?

I bought one while shopping for something else (ink, if I remember correctly) and there it was on the shop counter.  The section is a little ugly because of the soft plastic it's made of.  I've used it only a few times and it worked well (I got the stub, and it's OK). My 10 year old finds it very cool, so I'll probably let her have it the next time I ink it up.  My main concern is the cap - if the thing is to crack, that's where I expect it to fail. 

I still have my 530 and amazingly, it's still crack free.

Sponsored Content

|