The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor Ink Studio Swatch Tests - Part 11 - Blacks, Olives And Magic

sailor ink studio nick stewart inky thoughts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NickiStew

NickiStew

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:19

nick-stewart-sailor41.jpg

This is the final part of my Sailor Ink Studio swatch tests. The swatch cards shown feature the blacks, olives and what can only be described as something magical and truly beautiful.

nick-stewart-sailor44.jpg

Sailor 027 - A true black with just a hint of grey feathering at the edges when blended with water. A hint of activity in the less concentrated area when bleach is added. A great solid black when used for writing.

Sailor 024 - A black with blue greys feathering at the edges when blended with water. A deep sheen in evidence. No reaction when bleach is added.

Sailor 023 - A black with purple greys feathering at the edges when blended with water. A very limited reaction when bleach is added.

nick-stewart-sailor42.jpg

Sailor 970 - A fabulous uneven olive green with plenty of bright yellow feathering out when water blended. A dull gold reaction to bleach.

Sailor 670 - An uneven yellow ochre with plenty of bright yellow feathering out when water blended. A dull gold reaction to bleach.

Sailor 370 - A khaki green with light yellow feathering out when water blended. A dull white gold reaction to bleach.

nick-stewart-sailor43.jpg

Sailor 373 - A brown with hints of purple that blends with water and bleeds out greys, purples, pinks and greens. A neon gold effect when subjected to bleach.

Sailor 123 - A blue purple that blends with water and bleeds out greys, purples, yellow and greens. A neon white effect when subjected to bleach.

Sailor 162 - A blue green that blends with water and bleeds out greys, purples, and greens. A neon white effect when subjected to bleach.

So what about that then? 100 Sailor Studio inks swatch tested and what an amazing range of chromatic behaviours to drool over. Simply stunning. I'm not not sure what else to say right now. Give me a couple of months to mull this experience over and I'll post my top 12 favourites. WOW!

Please Note: From now onwards, all of my fountain pen ink swatch test reviews will be posted within Inky Thoughts. Following an insightful discussion with the moderators, it was agreed that as my investigations are experimental and tend to highlight the chromatic behaviours of fountain pen inks for potential artistic endeavours, this really is the most appropriate section for them within the FPN forum to post and discuss. Thanks.

Edited by NickiStew, 15 July 2019 - 11:20.

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

Sponsored Content

#2 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:02

Just incredible. Thanks for sharing these experiments with us.

#3 Intensity

Intensity

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:17

"Magic" is right :)  Wonderful ink series.  Thank you for the sample photographs!

I thought I was going to love 273 and almost got it, but it turned out I much prefer 573.  It also splits into very different hues and has a visible dark outline in normal writing.

Edited by Intensity, 16 July 2019 - 02:18.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor ink studio, nick stewart, inky thoughts

Sponsored Content

|