What Is The Most Luxurious Writing Experience You Get From Which Edc Fountain Pen You Own?

Beginnersmind0

from MalcolmH: " For that, a good contender would be a Pilot Custom 823, with a broad nib."

+1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beginnersmind0

• Honeybadgers

• Calabria

• TheDutchGuy

Parker 45 flighter with a D-nib (medium italic). Butter-smooth writing experience.

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I think I can have a luxurious experience with an affordable pen, for instance I really like how Verde Muschiato comes out with a Lamy Vista, which happens to be smooth and comfortable; while I appreciate their nibs, my more expensive pens mostly bring nicer design and features like piston filling and / or less ink evaporation: Faber Castell Ambition in pearwood, Parker 75 milleraies, Waterman Le Man 100, Pelikan m205, m600...

I thought about whether to mention my Man 100 Opera, which is a wonderfully smooth extra fine, but it is my fanciest pen, and while I use it every day at a certain time of year, I don't really carry it.

Your question is intrinsically difficult or even impossible to answer, at least for me. And even if I could answer it, it probably wouldn't help too much because my favourite pens are all vintage and not necessarily easy to find.

The biggest problem is what you consider luxurious. Price, material, design, rarity, function, writing experience? Which mixture of the different properties? Second, what do you consider an EDC and who is willing to risk how much to use a valuable or unusual pen as EDC? And also, luxury doesn't equal convenience necessarily. Would you like an inconvenient luxury pen for an EDC? Last but not least, how would I decide for "most" luxurious pen out of a vast collection of very luxurious pens?

Most of my OMAS pens pretty much fulfill most of the criteria of being luxurious that come to my mind. But I prefer to use many of them only at home, like the limited editions. I have no need to use them as EDC because I have so many less expensive excellent pens. One pen I use as EDC and which means a lot to me is a super rare Osmia 222 in "caramel cracked ice" celluloid from the 1930s. I didn't pay a penny for it because my b&m stationary store owner gave it to me for free and rejected to take any money for it. So, does that make it not luxurious? It was in rather poor shape when I got it and he was really happy (and flabbergasted) to see that I went through all the effort to restore that pen to perfect working and cosmetic condition. It cost me 2 € and a few hours of work. Is it still a luxurious pen if you restore it yourself like I did? The rest of my above mentioned criteria are all fulfilled after the restoration and I do use it as EDC. Can you buy it? No way, it's basically impossible to find. Is it my most luxurious EDC? I can't tell because it depends entirely on the weighting of the criteria and you must not have as many pens as I have.

The best modern nib I have experienced is still an out-of-the-box buttery smooth Omas 18k Broad. It’s soft and springy and feels luxurious on Tomoe River 50gsm paper.

Either a 49 year Parker 51 midnight blue medium or a 70 year old Parker 51 plum medium. Invincible.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I am being swayed towards Pelikan. I had a 400 back in the day that was a dream till I dropped it. Strangely, the nib appeared undamaged and still had good flow, but instantly became workhardened (?)! I sold it long ago, maybe I should replace it?

My best advice I learned, if you get a Pelikan, having it ground to stub or cursive italic increases it's luxuriousness x10 ! :P

OK, having any nib ground just makes things right.

Support your crafty nib artisans :thumbup:

Medium nib on a Pilot Custom 823. Beautiful nib, nice size, smooth as buttah. The pen is solid, well-balanced, and holds plenty of ink. Writing with it feels like settling into your favorite comfy chair after being on your feed for hours. Luxurious....

Edited by MightyEighth

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

I just got a vintage 400 for about $110 that only needed cleaning and grease, and the semiflex BB stub is effing magical. Instantly the best stub in my collection. smooth yet crisp, wet but not too wet, soft and relatively forgiving of angle, I feel a little bad for loading it with an iron gall ink due to the intense barrel clarity, but diamine registrars was all it needed to be a perfect everyday pen for any paper. And the cap band is starting to brass, so it's hardly a museum piece.

If you want to go luxury with a big fat wet nib but expect to be writing on every kind of paper, you have to go either iron gall or sailor sei/sou boku. Diamine registrars opens you up to any nib ever made on copy paper.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

All round writing experience? PFM II with a Medium PdAg nib. The shape and weight of the pen, the girth at the point I hold it, the fact that there is no step or threads so I can grip where it is comfortable, all add up to a wonderful writing experience. The fact that the nib is incredibly smooth, and firm, means that I can comfortably write for hours.

Close runner up would be the MB 14 with the 18k Fine nib. That is almost too soft on the page. If the pen were a fraction heavier, it would nudge out the PFM.

I have some questions - is that a Pilot Falcon Metal II? What do the nib letters stand for?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Confining myself to sturdy EDC pens, then without a doubt, this one...

fpn_1563192879__e3392267-45a6-4fe6-8693-

I love the feel of the brass, and how it looks. I love the bounciness caused by the amazing softness of the Leonardo nib combined with the weight of this pen. I love how it feels on paper.

More questions - where do you get the nib from? How does it fit in the Kaweco? What kind of ink system do you use?

I've been eyeing the Kaweco brass options but am hesitating because of the nibs and the standard international cartridge system.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I am being swayed towards Pelikan. I had a 400 back in the day that was a dream till I dropped it. Strangely, the nib appeared undamaged and still had good flow, but instantly became workhardened (?)! I sold it long ago, maybe I should replace it?

Pelikans and especially the vintage 400/400NNs are some of the best writers you can find. Are they luxurious? I don't know because they are not rare at all nor expensive. I have more that a dozen of standard models from a 1937 Model 100 through a relatively new M800. My idea of luxurious would would be fulfilled by a Toledo probably.

I just got a vintage 400 for about $110 that only needed cleaning and grease, and the semiflex BB stub is effing magical. Instantly the best stub in my collection. smooth yet crisp, wet but not too wet, soft and relatively forgiving of angle, I feel a little bad for loading it with an iron gall ink due to the intense barrel clarity, but diamine registrars was all it needed to be a perfect everyday pen for any paper. And the cap band is starting to brass, so it's hardly a museum piece.

If you want to go luxury with a big fat wet nib but expect to be writing on every kind of paper, you have to go either iron gall or sailor sei/sou boku. Diamine registrars opens you up to any nib ever made on copy paper.

Yes, that's exactly why I like the vintage ones so much. They come extremely close to my notion of a perfect nib, especially the broader ones. I absolutely LOVE my Pelikan OBB nibs!

I have some questions - is that a Pilot Falcon Metal II? What do the nib letters stand for?

Not silverlifter but PFM is Sheaffer's Pen For Men - one of the finest pens ever made and an excellent choice though a bit too valuable for me to use as an EDC!

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Not silverlifter but PFM is Sheaffer's Pen For Men - one of the finest pens ever made and an excellent choice though a bit too valuable for me to use as an EDC!

Indeed, the magnificent Pen For Men. The PdAg means the nib is Palladium Silver (there were five models, some with PdAg nibs, others with gold. All inlaid and all superb).

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

When I want a luxurious writing experience, the PFM is my go-to pen as well, for all the reasons mentioned above. I love the way it feels in my hand.

If you want to go luxury with a big fat wet nib but expect to be writing on every kind of paper, you have to go either iron gall or sailor sei/sou boku.

Or Sailor Kiwaguro.

More questions - where do you get the nib from? How does it fit in the Kaweco? What kind of ink system do you use?

I've been eyeing the Kaweco brass options but am hesitating because of the nibs and the standard international cartridge system.

Some shops, like Fontoplumo in Holland, sell spare Leonardo nibs. Fitting it in the Kaweco is easy: unscrew the stock nib collar from the section, gently pull the nib and feed out of the collar (when in doubt, don’t), clean everything, gently slide the Leonardo nib and the feed back into the collar (details matter - both need to be positioned perfectly to avoid trapped air bubbles etc) and screw the collar back into the section. The Kaweco is a CC pen and I used a fullsize Kaweco converter in it.

A price range would be good to know also. My suggestion is in my avatar: Visconti Homo Sapiens.

Posted Image

Thanks TheDutchGuy! Interesting idea!

– Lin Yu-T'ang