What Is The Most Luxurious Writing Experience You Get From Which Edc Fountain Pen You Own?

Beginnersmind0

Im just thinking about what my next acquisition should be. What is your go to pen to feel that special something?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beginnersmind0

• Honeybadgers

• Calabria

• TheDutchGuy

Luxurious... my EDC pens are chosen by how they write ("Chase the nib!" as BoBo would say...). But there are more components to the whole writing experience and ones persons luxury is another persons something else.

That said, vintage Pelikans are the ones that speak to me and are also the ones that follow me through the hours of the day. Are they the "most luxurious" pens that I have tried? Hmmm... not really, they just have the best overall user experience and feel for everyday use and longer writing sessions.

Ok... other aspects? My "special occasion pen" is also a vintage Pelikan, a lovely and rare 101N Tortoise which doesn't differ from the other 100N writing experience wise but looks like a million bucks (it does cost about 3-4 times more than a regular 100N). It is meant to leave the house for special occasions only.

I do have more pricey pens in my sights that would fit the bill, just by the virtue of more rare materials, and more fanciful and expensive design/construction. Think of certain modern Pelikan or Montblanc special or limited editions which go to four figures by default. Would they write better than the way more modestly priced vintage Pelikans? Not necessarily or at all (those are pretty darn hard to beat after all).

My go to for that "very special" experience is a Nakaya...

48283216707_505108c888_c.jpg

However. it's not an EDC. For that, a good contender would be a Pilot Custom 823, with a broad nib.

37135706490_2c334665c5_c.jpg

:)

Luxurious EDC? Easy. One of my Parker 51s -- especially the Plum Demi Aero and the Midnight Blue Aero (both of which have M nibs). Yeah, yeah I know -- they're not flashy. But they're not meant to be flashy. They're meant to be superb writing instruments.

Close runners up would be some of the Pelikans: the 400 Brown Tortoise, the M405 Striated Blue, and the M120 Iconic Blue (the M405 Anthracite Stresemann is a bit too expensive to be an EDC pen -- especially after I almost lost it when I took it camping... :().

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Depends. I love my delike alpha, but I swapped in a 14k vintage eversharp manifold nib into it.

I also adore my mom's old waterman phileas, but I put an 18k nib into it as well.

I have a titanium M nib in a PenBBS 355 that writes like a soft bouncy cloud, but i had to tune it pretty extensively.

The lamy 2000 is a pretty special feeling pen out of the box. The nibs have a very distinct, lovely drag, the cap feeling is nice and crisp,

the 823 with an FA nib also feels really nice.

Another superb option is the cross townsend or parker sonnet. their 18k nibs are glorious, metal bodies and slip caps make them great everyday options.

When I'm at work, I have to have something very light that fits inside my shirt under my tie since I quit my medic job, and I've been using the platinum procyon, which has impressed me a LOT.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

EDC depends on the circumstances of your every day. Lawyers and other office.types can afford to have an expensive pen as a so-called everyday carry. Health workers, manual labourers, and so on, would probably do better to have a good cheap pen as their EDC. For me a Faber Castell Loom is maybe the most luxurious thing I'll take to work.

Edited by MuddyWaters

All round writing experience? PFM II with a Medium PdAg nib. The shape and weight of the pen, the girth at the point I hold it, the fact that there is no step or threads so I can grip where it is comfortable, all add up to a wonderful writing experience. The fact that the nib is incredibly smooth, and firm, means that I can comfortably write for hours.

Close runner up would be the MB 14 with the 18k Fine nib. That is almost too soft on the page. If the pen were a fraction heavier, it would nudge out the PFM.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

What a fun assortment of answers! It hadnt occurred to me that there would be so many different ideas about the meaning of luxurious. Lots of great food for thought!

Once upon a time, I worked in an office, herding files. My most luxurious pen at the time was also my first Pen of a Lifetime, my blue swirl Pelikan M200 (with the old derby cap; now a frankenpen). It always wrote better than the blue stripe M400 I bought a couple years later. It does not come to my current, nursing job. The most luxurious pen to come to work with me now is a jade acrylic Himalaya with a stub nib.

It is exceeded only by my aqua M205 demonstrator, but that pen is a desk denizen, and only leaves the house on special occasions.

My problems in answering your question are two-fold. Being retired, I have no such thing as an EDC; I simply work through my many pens in idiosyncratic ways described in other threads, and use what is to hand. The second problem is defining "luxurious" which can relate to different aspects of the pen including handling and appearance, and even within nibs one can have different luxuries of softness with flexibility in vintage pens, or modern nibs which are remarkably smooth, wholly unintrusive on the writing process.

If it is of any help (probably not), then today I will be taking to a contract signing a 70+ year old Onoto Magna as my principal pen with two Soenneckens of similar and greater age as reserves. The only other inked, a 1952 vintage Aurora 88, will stay at home. Luxury has been defined. :)

Edited by praxim

X

FWIW, if you are a healthcare worker or a germophobe, copper containing materials that are unlacquered (i.e. raw brass, copper, or bronze like the kaweco sport brass, delike alpha, montegrappa copper mule) are inherently antimicrobial, copper kills bacteria and viruses within minutes. So my delike alpha with the lacquer sanded off it is great for healthcare.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

My all-around favorite pen for look, feel, and nib performance is my Parker 51 plum Demi aero, and my best nib is on a Parker Victory, but I think of those two pens as difficult enough to replace that they seldom leave the house.

Among pens that I feel comfortable carrying out and about, my Parker 51 in burgundy is probably the most satisfying writer. I bought it specifically in order to have a pen similar to my plum but more common and hence easier to justify taking to the office.

I work from home so my EDCs are essentially everything in my desk... Many fine choices but most luxurious?.... My Nakaya.

My "at home" luxurious writing experience is my Montblanc Unicef 146 with OB nib.

My "EDC" luxurious writing experience would be either my Lamy 2000 with M nib or my Lamy Studio with 14K fine nib.

My "field" luxurious writing experience would be my Caran d'Ache 849 in hot pink (so if I drop it I will see it).

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Confining myself to sturdy EDC pens, then without a doubt, this one...

fpn_1563192879__e3392267-45a6-4fe6-8693-

I love the feel of the brass, and how it looks. I love the bounciness caused by the amazing softness of the Leonardo nib combined with the weight of this pen. I love how it feels on paper.

Pelikan M800 with a 0.9 mm Binder Italifine. Perfect heft, balance, and nib. Always loaded with Bad Belted Kingfisher, this pen never leaves the rotation.

1929 oversize Sheaffer's Black and Pearl Balance with a fine/medium nib. Another pen that never leaves the rotation. It feels perfect in my hand, like the Pelikan, with the added tactile benefit of vintage celluloid.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I think I can have a luxurious experience with an affordable pen, for instance I really like how Verde Muschiato comes out with a Lamy Vista, which happens to be smooth and comfortable; while I appreciate their nibs, my more expensive pens mostly bring nicer design and features like piston filling and / or less ink evaporation: Faber Castell Ambition in pearwood, Parker 75 milleraies, Waterman Le Man 100, Pelikan m205, m600...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

My fav pen that I currently own and carry is the Sailor Pro Gear Slim with Music nib. Its small, light, easily fits in a pocket, holds enough ink and the nib is excellent

Edited by City74

Any of my Pelikans would qualify, but the first pen that came to mind was my Pilot 823 with a broad nib.

I normally have an assortment of nibs, semi&maxi-semi-flex or nice springy regular flex.

I change pens, even with out running out of ink, per whim.

I confess to having a couple of pen cups and a pen cup for the empties.

Being retired I don't carry every day........but what ever pen that is not in the cup, sitting on the note book, is the pen that gets put in the shirt pocket.

Right now a 1951 black-gray& pearl Osmia-Faber-Castell 540, steel Supra nib; (maxi-semi-flex) Lamy Turquoise ink. A standard sized pen like an Esterbrook DJ, or a 400 or a P-75.

ndEYUCd.jpg

The next pen may well be this Maltese Cross marked Diplomat semi-flex A simple pressed plastic pen that had taken over much of the pen market after the P-51 showed the way.

Maltese Cross on the once gold plated nib also..........The Diplomat company may still be owned by the original family.....or was until the last couple of decades. The Maltese Cross was a trade mark before WW2, & with this early '60's pen. (could be late '50's in it has a blind cap.)

It will be the second time I've used it. R&K Salix has just been loaded.q6MUHjL.jpg

41rCAfd.jpg?1

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.