New Batch Of Ink Fading Comparisons (Ongoing)

Intensity

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• Arkanabar

• bizhe

• oregano

• 6 months later...

New round of scans. Scan date: 5 July 2020.

Sheets exposed to diffuse outdoor light, taped to the wall opposite 2 large windows as described in the first post, are on the left side. Sheets stored in a closed notebook are on the right side. Dates of writing are noted in pencil.

In the order of oldest to most recent writing, top to bottom:

6DzCgMt.jpg

Sailor x Kobe #57 Hime Ajisai is steadily disappearing. Now over a year later it's looking like a pale shadow. Still very vibrant in closed notebook writing. Likewise for other inks shown to be fading: faring well in closed notebooks.

zMSvnOe.jpg

Error in the sheet below: that's Waterman Mysterious Blue, not Serenity Blue

YLGLCd7.jpg

veeq7Jj.jpg

Diamine Lilac Satin is a quick fader -- only 4 months in there's already dramatic fading.

Noodler's "Eternal" Red Fox is disappointingly showing fading too.

Sailor Ink Studio #123 changed color very quickly after being left out exposed, didn't even take a month. Be careful with your writing and artwork made with those watery polychromatic inks, both by Sailor Ink Studio and Troublemaker--some of the constituent dyes fade very quickly, changing the end color.

7SdSBSq.jpg

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this is absolutely incredible work! Thank you so much for taking the time to conduct this useful and helpful experiment. Great stuff.

@Intensity Your dedication and fastidiousness in conducting these tests and sharing the results are both admirable and astounding. Thank you!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 4 weeks later...

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 months later...

Latest round of scans.  Dates of writing indicated on the sheets.  Since it's been over a year and a half for some of the sheets, it's pretty apparent that some inks fade dramatically, while others fade slowly.  Some change their color very noticeably as one or more of the components fade.  Some fade slightly, change color (a component fades) and seemingly stabilize there for a while. 

The worst so far have been Sailor x Nagasawa Kobe #57 Hime Ajisai, Lennon Tool Bar Plastic Sky (pigment ink, so excellent water resistance, but fades so quickly), Diamine Lilac Satin (quick fader), and polychromatic inks (Troublemaker Kelp Tea, Troublemaker Petrichor, Troublemaker Milky Ocean, Sailor Ink Studio #123).  Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu and Yama-Budo have also faded to more pink versions.  I'm sad to see my favorite Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine fading away, though I hope the gray portion of it will remain stable.  Kind of like the vintage Permanent Blue Black faded to mostly gray.  Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz is not holding up too well either.

Lamy Turmaline also turned more gray and somehow got darker.  

Noodler's Red Fox, Dostoyevsky, Pasternak are also fairly quick faders :(   Lermontov is holding up okay so far, some loss of saturation and slight graying.

KWZ IG Green Gold and its almost look-alike GvFC Olive Green are fading super similarly too: very slowly and still to nearly identical hues.

I'm very pleased with Colorverse Brunch Date, despite it being light.  

KWZ and GvFC definitely fare better than most on average with low to no fading.  The J Herbin inks I've tested so far have been pretty good too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

(it should say "Waterman Mysterious Blue" below, not "Serenity")

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 1 month later...

Hm I'm not sure what you mean by good.  It's definitely fading.  Not as rapidly as some, but the lightening is there.  Much better than Aquamarine, however.  Unfortunate, because I love Aquamarine.  (I like Smoky Quartz too, but it's a bit too golden brown for me--I like slightly more red or orange- or gray-browns).  Should be perfectly okay for closed notebook writing either way.  The inks that are quick faders or color-shifters are the ones I'd really worry about.  Smoky Quartz can stand up to being exposed for a while.

Thanks for this.

KWZ IG torquoise was unexpected one for me considering its IG....well it has less IG particles so that might actually be of help here. Apart from that iros and sailors kinda do well in most cases, not all, is always surprise for me when non permanent ones are considered.

Thanks again for them.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this wonderful contribution to the fade experiments. I've added it to the list of such tests on FPN.  Please forgive my tardiness for not updating the list sooner.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said, thank you for sharing both a realistic indirect-light fade test and a wonderful and clear list of inks to try :D