The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Your Most Trusted Brand Of Ink

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 13:03

Sailor Yama Dori & Shigure
Aurora Blue Black - Vintage and sac fillers

Sponsored Content

#42 loudotmac

loudotmac

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 21:18

It would have to be Diamine.

#43 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:21

Whatever's handy.  

#44 inkandseeds

inkandseeds

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:27

Noodlers.

#45 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,340 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:34

Montblanc.  All are well behaved, shades nicely, and colors have some nice pop to them, and the boot shaped bottles are brilliant, and cost per bottle is reasonable.  Midnight Blue, and Permanent Blue really sold me on this ink brand.  They really produce serious reliable inks for the office and business too.  

Edited by max dog, 15 July 2019 - 05:37.

#46 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,434 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:53

1.  Montblanc - although I haven't tried any of the new colors yet. 

2.  DeAtramentis 

3.  Pilot Iroshizuku

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#47 Kursaal

Kursaal

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:54

Diamine by a country mile.

#48 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• All Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 15:50

My small ink stash has more Noodler's than anything else, but the ink I invariably choose when I'm not sure about a pen is Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue. 

So yeah, Pelikan 4001.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

#49 thx1138

thx1138

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2019 - 16:03

Diamine closely followed by sailor/kobo.

#50 Gawain

Gawain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 16:24

Noodlers!

Where would we be without Noodler's Inks?

Where would we be without Nathan Tardif?

B O R I N G...............That's where we would be.

I don't draw inside the lines.

​I love variety, commitment, honesty, commitment, friendliness, commitment, compassion, and finally commitment.

I love the extremely full bottles!!!! 

I love the fact that NOBODY is going to stop Nathan from producing one of my favorite inks, Baystate Blue!

I love the fact that Noodler's inks have patriotic themes and Nathan is a historian who adds a historical theme to many of his products.

I love the fact that Noodler's has so many darn inks available, most with a history attached if you care to research the product.

I don't like sterile manufacturing.

I don't like coloring strictly within the lines.

I like what Nathan does.  

I don't know why so many people here have their hate on for Nathan.

He is one man who employs family to fill product orders.

Edited by Gawain, 17 July 2019 - 16:26.

Thoreau "for every thousand hacking at the branches of evil, there is one chopping at the root"

#51 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,881 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 16:54

Noodlers!

Where would we be without Noodler's Inks?
Where would we be without Nathan Tardif?
B O R I N G...............That's where we would be.

I don't draw inside the lines.
​I love variety, commitment, honesty, commitment, friendliness, commitment, compassion, and finally commitment.
I love the extremely full bottles!!!! 
I love the fact that NOBODY is going to stop Nathan from producing one of my favorite inks, Baystate Blue!
I love the fact that Noodler's inks have patriotic themes and Nathan is a historian who adds a historical theme to many of his products.
I love the fact that Noodler's has so many darn inks available, most with a history attached if you care to research the product.

I don't like sterile manufacturing.
I don't like coloring strictly within the lines.

I like what Nathan does.  
He is one man who employs family to fill product orders.

I, for one, must respectfully disagree. While Noodlers might have at one point invigorated the market with a large variety of saturated colors, it was a trend, one of many trends. I think his advertising is silly. He didnt do anything to help encourage the sheen/shimmer trends. He didnt get the memo on making inks like Sailor 123. Theres better packaged, more colorful, entirely unique stuff out there besides Noodlers. Besides, this thread is about trusting a brand, and between inconsistency in batches, seemingly stemming from constant changes in formulations, and the many varied reports on behavior including an ever more feather prone reputation, I could never add Noodlers to my list of trusted inks. No, in my opinion Noodlers has been boring for the past five years, and attacking politicians with labels they will never see doesnt make the ink itself more interesting. Whats worse is that Noodlers is probably my least trusted brand of ink. I have shrunk it to less than 5% of my collection and only use two of those on very rare occasions.
Gobblecup ~

#52 Gawain

Gawain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 17:32

I know Gobblecup.

That is why I wanted to present a different view.

A view from my perspective.

Is that OK?

I, for one, must respectfully disagree. While Noodlers might have at one point invigorated the market with a large variety of saturated colors, it was a trend, one of many trends. I think his advertising is silly. He didnt do anything to help encourage the sheen/shimmer trends. He didnt get the memo on making inks like Sailor 123. Theres better packaged, more colorful, entirely unique stuff out there besides Noodlers. Besides, this thread is about trusting a brand, and between inconsistency in batches, seemingly stemming from constant changes in formulations, and the many varied reports on behavior including an ever more feather prone reputation, I could never add Noodlers to my list of trusted inks. No, in my opinion Noodlers has been boring for the past five years, and attacking politicians with labels they will never see doesnt make the ink itself more interesting. Whats worse is that Noodlers is probably my least trusted brand of ink. I have shrunk it to less than 5% of my collection and only use two of those on very rare occasions.

Thoreau "for every thousand hacking at the branches of evil, there is one chopping at the root"

#53 Gawain

Gawain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 17:38

nevermind....... ; )

Edited by Gawain, 17 July 2019 - 17:41.

#54 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,381 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2019 - 18:35

No doubt you love the work and the products of Mr Osamu Ishimaru, then.

I like what Nathan does.

I don't hate Nathan, he's nobody of concern to me just like the folks who make Platinum, Diamine, Rohrer & Klingner inks but at least I can trust the other inks as products of which I'm a user. I don't trust Noodler's inks and I don't trust Noodler's as a brand. I've come to the point that I don't even trust what is marketed as being 'bulletproof' to withstand a two-hour soak in a bath of clean water, when Sailor souboku ink on the same portion of that sheet of paper didn't budge in the least.

Personally I don't care whether Nathan ought to take sole blame for the bad 'behaviour' and lack of consistency in some of his products. I prefer to see Noodler's as a company, not a person, and its poor performance is not something for which an individual should be hated, irrespective of whether the company flourishes or withers.
A discussion about objects, techniques and applications should not be a contest of personal values. Your values mean nothing to me and require naught from me, and I'll gladly assume my values equally mean nothing to you and do not impose on you in any way; my dissenting views do not oppress your personal views, when neither of us can claim to represent the majority position or consensus, or speak on behalf of the community of fountain pen hobbyists worldwide. Let's treat each other with due respect prescribed by some entity bigger than either of us without our input and just offer our sentimental opinions of no particular standing with anyone else, without trying to control the narrative, or demand moral support and/or solidarity from others as consumers and users.

#55 City74

City74

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2019 - 20:11

1) Montblanc
2) Pilot Iro

Last place) Noodlers

#56 Timotheus

Timotheus

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2019 - 20:25

Like everyone else, I use all kinds of inks, but if I had to choose just one brand, that would definitely be Diamine. Great range of colours, good quality, easy to find where I live, very affordable. It would never come to my mind to spend € 30 or more for 50 ml of ink in a fancy bottle.

Italix Parson's Essential  F  – Kaweco Dia2 EF  – Pilot Custom 74 SF – TWSBI Classic EF – Rotring Altro F

“As for the qualities of which you may know, ‘These qualities lead to dispassion, not to passion; to being unfettered, not to being fettered; to shedding, not to accumulating; to modesty, not to self-aggrandizement; to contentment, not to discontent; to seclusion, not to entanglement; to aroused persistence, not to laziness; to being unburdensome, not to being burdensome’: You may definitely hold, ‘This is the Dhamma, this is the Vinaya, this is the Teacher’s instruction.’”

#57 estux

estux

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2019 - 20:30

I have more diamine bottles than any other brand, by a huge difference, so I trust it a lot. But, if I have some persistent problems with a pen I always flush whatever ink it is loaded with and I put waterman black in it.

#58 KaB

KaB

Tsukiyonist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2019 - 20:37

Actually Diammine is the only brand that has ever disappointed me. With Grape beeing too dry.
Pelikan (youth sentiment and experience) and MB for me

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif  Current rotation: home: Lamy Al-star 1.5, GvFC Moss Green; Lamy Vista 1.1, Diamine Oxblood; Sheaffer Touchdown 0.6, Sailor Kin-Mokusei

Case: Visconti HS EF, Sailor Kin-Mokusei; Estie 2314M, R&K Alt-Goldgrün; Lamy Studio 1.1, Diamine Ochre 

#59 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,881 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 21:09

Gawain,

I certainly do not mean to be abrasive or anything, I respect that you enjoy and find excitement in Noodlers brand. I apologize if my response was upsetting or too directly contrary. I did have a period where I was a big user of Noodlers inks. I simply have moved on personally. Hence, I put forth my contrary view. But again, please do not take it as aggressive and hateful on my part.
Gobblecup ~

#60 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,742 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 00:09

Actually Diammine is the only brand that has ever disappointed me. With Grape beeing too dry.

Grape was the first, and therefore the only, Diamine ink I ever bought.  I have long been tempted by Damson, but with so many nice purples available from Sailor and Birmingham, I have never taken the plunge.

Sponsored Content

|