The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Lamy Crystal Ink - Obsidian, Hand-Written Review

lamy crystal obsidian

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2019 - 20:13

Here we go again!  My pen ran out of ink partially through the review and I only noticed when the pen stopped writing... whoops!  Hope it is helpful :-)

EDIT:  whoops... it takes 20 seconds to dry, not 25... brain fart there, pardon me

obsidian1.jpg
obsidian2.jpg
obsidian3.jpg
obsidian4.jpg
obsidian5.jpg
obsidian6.jpg
obsidian7.jpg
obsidian8.jpg
obsidian9.jpg
obsidian10.jpg
obsidian11.jpg

Edited by Enkida, 11 July 2019 - 20:14.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Sponsored Content

#2 Scriptorium Pens

Scriptorium Pens

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 20:56

Great review. Thanks!

I'm a big Anne McCaffrey fan, and thoroughly enjoyed her Crystal Singer series many years ago. 

Renée

Visit my site at

fpn_1381279657__scriptoriumpens-label4.p

Handcrafted Fountain & Dip Pens

For Behind the Scenes pictures and comments, check out Instagram & Twitter.

#3 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2019 - 21:49

Oh, me too!  I started with the Dragon singer book for young adults in grade school, then flew right through the Dragonriders of Pern series, then dove into her sci-fi stuff.  Big fan here too :-)  I think this ink reminds me of that book because of the "crystal" in the title and in my fuzzy memory, the black crystals being the most important ones to mine.   And also strangely addicting, which jives a lot with this ink, hehe.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#4 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2019 - 22:39

Thanks for such a great review. That's the type I like... all your numberings, phrasings (Q & A), writings, sketches... I think I like the ink, too, darn it! BTW I'm afraid I have to admit that I now like the fact that Lamy has gone to the trouble of printing the name of the ink on the box, although they still haven't managed to get it onto the new (T53) bottle.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#5 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2019 - 23:34

Perfectly acceptable black, reasonably well behaved, not a great value, only really of any value to those of us who wanted to collect the entire 10 color set.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 11 July 2019 - 23:35.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#6 LobsterRoll

LobsterRoll

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2019 - 00:32

This is such a wonderful review! I'm not that interested in the color, but I was wholly entertained by your drawings and layout and turns of phrase.

(I'm curious about what kind of training someone would undergo to become a special agent at the FPPA)

#7 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:09

Thanks all! I should make note of the price, I paid 9 for it (30mL) which comes out to 0,37/mL, so this is definitely not a budget friendly ink. As a general note I really dislike the gentrification of inks that is sweeping all the major brands with their high line releases in an attempt to make what is basically colored water appear couture. I do appreciate the additional colors we now have but in my opinion Diamine still has everyone beat for the simple fact of not losing sight of what theyre selling to us.

That being said, if price is not an issue to you and you dont have a million blacks in your collection already, I think this is a nice place to start. This is the lone bottle of black that I own that keeps me from running out and buying a bottle of J. Herbin Perle Noir, my favorite black ink which Ive only used in cartridges to date. :)

(As for the FPPA, Im sure that if you have the right stuff, someone in a black helicopter will drop by to secretly recruit you... ;-) )

Edited by Enkida, 12 July 2019 - 05:12.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#8 shanbo

shanbo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:45

This is such a wonderful review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Your diagrams are superb. The chicken for the feathers - WONDERFUL.

Appreciate the highlighter test. 

Super awesome. keep it up.

#9 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2019 - 19:14

The review was so good I read it through despite not being overly wowed by the inks' colour.

Thank you. Looking forward to your next one :)

#10 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 20:02

Exemplary review! Many thanks. 

#11 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2019 - 20:34

Always love your ink reviews! :)

#12 loudotmac

loudotmac

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 19:43

What a great review, I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it.

Looks to me like another black ink to add to my 'to try' list - I'm intrigued to see that sheen.

#13 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 7,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 20:05

If it would enable me to write and draw like Enkida, I would buy a bottle yesterday.

#14 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:34

Haha, thanks you guys. :-)   Foutnain pens enable everyone to do this.  Don't you just look at those nibs and hear them silently crying to you  "pick me up!  use me!  use me now!"  too?  :P

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#15 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 7,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:23

Haha, thanks you guys. :-)   Foutnain pens enable everyone to do this.  Don't you just look at those nibs and hear them silently crying to you  "pick me up!  use me!  use me now!"  too?  :P

Yup.

Have you compared Obsidian to reg'lar ol' Lamy Black? If so, what were your findings?

#16 elevennx

elevennx

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2019 - 23:50

Yup.

Have you compared Obsidian to reg'lar ol' Lamy Black? If so, what were your findings?

I’m wondering the same. I still have tons of Lamy Black to work through, so I’m curious how much difference there is.

But really fantastic review. Thank you!

#17 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 00:13

Yup.

I’m wondering the same. I still have tons of Lamy Black to work through, so I’m curious how much difference there is.

But really fantastic review. Thank you!

Lamy black is a warmer black, and as far as I know doesn't do the copper sheen thing the way this one does.  It's also an outstanding ink, one I'd probably get a bottle of if I didn't have... well, this, haha.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#18 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:25

I compared Lamy Black to Obsidian at the Lamy Store.  Lamy Black looks slightly warmer.  Obsidian is a darker black.

fpn_1548271501__lamy_crystal_1.jpg

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 16 July 2019 - 02:29.

#19 elevennx

elevennx

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 16:50

Lamy black is a warmer black, and as far as I know doesn't do the copper sheen thing the way this one does.  It's also an outstanding ink, one I'd probably get a bottle of if I didn't have... well, this, haha.

Good to know, thank you. I'm curious, but it's hard to justify another bottle of black ink when they seem this close.

I compared Lamy Black to Obsidian at the Lamy Store.  Lamy Black looks slightly warmer.  Obsidian is a darker black.

fpn_1548271501__lamy_crystal_1.jpg

Thanks for the first hand comparison. Very useful.

#20 MichaelF

MichaelF

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2019 - 20:14

Thanks for your review. The format actually made me want to read the whole thing. I am sort of a black in aficionado so I might grab a sample to see how it compares to some of the others in my collection.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy, crystal, obsidian

Sponsored Content

|