Penbbs 494 - A 78G Style Piston Filler Exclusive To Shanghai Jingdian

JollyCynic

A new PenBBS has been released, but it's not available through official PenBBS direct outlets. It was manufactured exclusively for Shanghai Jingdian (who I think make Moonman pens, themselves). The 494 is a Pilot 78G clone inspired pen, much like the PenBBS 322 Mian Mian/Marshmallow pen. The difference is that the 494 is a piston filler instead of c/c, uses a clear feed, and it appears to use a true Pilot-style nib, whereas the 322 used a standard (but very thin) size 5 nib. There may also be a stylistic slant at the end of the section. Both are injection moulded demonstrators, but where the 322 has a traditional EF nib and a mini-fude EF nib, the 494 has traditional F and EF nibs.

I've already seen them on eBay for $9 shipped, which is less than I remember seeing the 322 for.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JollyCynic

• penzel_washinkton

• LazyPen

• Ardakilic

Thanks. Have a link?

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

The FPN rules are contradictory as to whether or not non-paying members are allowed to post links. So I don't post links to anything other than FPN itself.

If you search the US eBay for PenBBS 494, though, you'll probably find it. (Other countries may need to switch from their local country to the .com version.)

Edited by JollyCynic

Very interesting possibility for a knock around work pen that needs a lot of ink capacity. However, it is not on beini's Etsy site, so is it fake penbbs?

I have the 322 and I am glad they have changed the nib on this one. The 322's nib had too little tipping and is just unusable on work paper, even after widening the tines (since it did come overly dry and writing poorly).

... However, it is not on beini's Etsy site, so is it fake penbbs? ...

No, it's just an exclusive for Shanghai Jingdian. Beini showed it off on her Instagram account, but didn't mention that it was a piston filler.

She dropped by the PenBBS FB group and said that the switch to the Pilot-style nib was because the 322 nib with the heart-shaped breather was too expensive for this very budget-minded pen.

But my question is ... If Shanghai Jingdian already makes Moonman pens ... Why didn't they just make a Moonman 78G piston-filler?

Edited by JollyCynic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I was just gonna post this. I can find this pen on Aliexpress $3.4, shipped. Indeed, it looks like Wing Sung 3011. It comes with F and EF nib. Ordered 2 with F nib. Let's see how it'll be.

It looks similar to a Wing Sung 3011

Some sellers on ebay posting those with WS3013 pictures. In reality the pen looks like this:

2019-Penbbs-494-Transparent-Piston-Fount

No Parker clip - way to go!

Edited by Laefar

• 5 weeks later...

Any one has received this pen ? Not a single review until now .

there's a review of it literally on this page.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

Just received mine. One of the smoothest Pilot style nib I've ever used. Build quality is also great.

Came with a giftable pack, loving it so far!

• 2 months later...

No, that's not a PenBBS/MianMian. I've seen that pen sold as just about any Chinese make/model pen you could name. It's difficult to know the right one as you can't get it directly from PenBBS official channels. The photo in the eighth post in this thread is the correct one. There are no colour variants of this pen, thus far.

No, that's not a PenBBS/MianMian. I've seen that pen sold as just about any Chinese make/model pen you could name. It's difficult to know the right one as you can't get it directly from PenBBS official channels. The photo in the eighth post in this thread is the correct one. There are no colour variants of this pen, thus far.

Even if the shown photos aren't of the penbbs 494 the seller has guaranteed me that the pen shipped is just genuine penbbs 494.

But you won't be sure until you physically get the pen.

Usually the best practice is to stay away from seller with those tendencies. Logically, why would they put a picture of a pen that is not the same as the one they are selling?

I hope you do get the real PenBBS 494 but I would suggest avoiding cases like this in the future.

Using PayPal I could even request a refund and/or give negative feedback to seller.

Considering the cost of only 1.70... does not it worth the risk ?