• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• bbs

• Jamerelbe

• MuddyWaters

They're now available on ENSSO's website for 20% off (everything's 20% off)

I backed the kickstarter, ordered a brass model with a titanium nib. Plan on using it at work since it'll be antimicrobial.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

They're now available on ENSSO's website for 20% off (everything's 20% off)

I backed the kickstarter, ordered a brass model with a titanium nib. Plan on using it at work since it'll be antimicrobial.

I got the titanium on titanium configuration.

The sale price through their website is still higher than the kick-starter offer, and titanium nibs are sold out.

Ensso had a habit of offering their pens through formerly-massdrop at lower-than-kickstarter prices. I got my stonewashed Piuma Titanium WITH titanium nib for $99.99 back then.

Wonder if they'd still deal with drop.com.

Alas, they're not offered with EF nibs by which I can judge a pen manufacturer (and from whomever it chooses to source its nibs), either as an option as fitted, or available only-if-you-buy-a-second-nib-unit at additional expense, so no sale as far as I'm concerned.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I got the titanium on titanium configuration.

The sale price through their website is still higher than the kick-starter offer, and titanium nibs are sold out.

Ensso had a habit of offering their pens through formerly-massdrop at lower-than-kickstarter prices. I got my stonewashed Piuma Titanium WITH titanium nib for $99.99 back then.

Wonder if they'd still deal with drop.com.

I just ordered a solid copper tactile turn gist with steel EF from drop.com for only $100 (a screaming deal), so I presume they will. All drop.com seems to have done is just not go as nuts with trying to have a big page - which is good, their drops were usually not good values, with only the occasional pearl.

I got the brass with a titanium nib for $95 on kickstarter, so I'm very happy with that. Same price as the karas kustoms starliner XL apollo 11 with a titanium nib (which I am THOROUHGLY enjoying)

I've been on a metal pen kick lately.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Alas, they're not offered with EF nibs by which I can judge a pen manufacturer (and from whomever it chooses to source its nibs), either as an option as fitted, or available only-if-you-buy-a-second-nib-unit at additional expense, so no sale as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno why but it seems like the titanium EF is no more in general, as the only one I was able to find wound up being branded karas kustoms (holy (bleep) do I like the engraving on the KK titanium nibs though, that art deco is gorgeous in the way it makes the nib creep)

If a pen uses a standard #6 steel nib, I don't really care what I get, since I have started custom grinding my own nibs, most everything I get has a handmade flex or PO or stub these days.

FWIW, you're not getting anything special nib wise from ensso. They're stock bock nibs with little or no extra tuning. I do like my minimilista but that one is rather limited on nib swaps since it uses that weird ultra short #5 that the kaweco sport uses too.

Edited by Honeybadgers

• 3 weeks later...

I have been very pleasantly surprised with an Ensso Piuma which I picked up from Massdrop (just before its latest bizarre re-muddlement). The Piuma came with a first-rate #6 steel nib from Peter Bock which could be readily exchanged for any number of other Bock nibs (I've picked up a few from Beaufort). With steel nibs like these, I don't need gold.

I can't wait for the Italia to arrive. I'm a simple soul and the black aluminium is fine for me. The Piuma doesn't leave my desk and I have not suffered scuffs or scratches to the coating despite daily use for several weeks. I know this has been a concern for some.

Edited by Braxfield

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

I have been very pleasantly surprised with an Ensso Piuma which I picked up from Massdrop (just before its latest bizarre re-muddlement). The Piuma came with a first-rate #6 steel nib from Peter Bock which could be readily exchanged for any number of other Bock nibs (I've picked up a few from Beaufort). With steel nibs like these, I don't need gold.

I can't wait for the Italia to arrive. I'm a simple soul and the black aluminium is fine for me. The Piuma doesn't leave my desk and I have not suffered scuffs or scratches to the coating despite daily use for several weeks. I know this has been a concern for some.

Please post when you receive. My Faber Castell e-motion on Stealth black has my favourite material of any fountain pen but the #5 nib is too short. The Italia might be a good alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be happy to post something when the Italia arrives. Production has been pushed bock a month, apparently due to nibbage delay. I don't mind waiting. October, for some reason, tends to be pen-heavy.

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

They updated the kickstarter that bock is dragging arse on the nibs, so the shipment will be in november.

I wish titanium had the same antimicrobial performance as silver anc brass/copper/bronze. I'd love a lighter Ti pen for work, even though the patina on my copper tactile turn gist and brass delike alpha are coming along gorgeously.

• 2 months later...

Mine finally came.

I didn't realize it had the greek key from the cap band also in the section - looks really nice.

The section is very girthy, I didn't realize it was going to be so thick, but it feels good.

The cap posts better than any bare metal-metal pen I own. The Tactile turn Gist is only so-so, this posts pretty darn securely.

the F titanium nib is perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect. It's actually about an EF, but that's more what I wanted anyways (only F, M, B were offered) and the flow/tune is perfect. Supposedly, per their updates, the nibs were all inspected and tuned in every pen. Mine definitely feels that way.

It just came in a plastic shipping tube, which was a little disappointing, but not that big of a deal for me, though I hope they make a box for them in the future, as it'd be a good gift.

Only downside is that the cap crossthreads. Like a lot. Almost every single time. If I'm focused on it, I can reliably get it to cap properly, but if I'm not paying close attention to the orientation, forget about it. It's really frustrating. I just emailed Ensso and asked if maybe I just got a bum one (the threads are glassy smooth when it does engage, so the machining was otherwise very, very good. The section doesn't cross thread into the barrel and the rest of the machining is perfect) and we'll see. I'll report back on it.

Mine finally came.

I didn't realize it had the greek key from the cap band also in the section - looks really nice.

The section is very girthy, I didn't realize it was going to be so thick, but it feels good.

The cap posts better than any bare metal-metal pen I own. The Tactile turn Gist is only so-so, this posts pretty darn securely.

the F titanium nib is perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect. It's actually about an EF, but that's more what I wanted anyways (only F, M, B were offered) and the flow/tune is perfect. Supposedly, per their updates, the nibs were all inspected and tuned in every pen. Mine definitely feels that way.

It just came in a plastic shipping tube, which was a little disappointing, but not that big of a deal for me, though I hope they make a box for them in the future, as it'd be a good gift.

Only downside is that the cap crossthreads. Like a lot. Almost every single time. If I'm focused on it, I can reliably get it to cap properly, but if I'm not paying close attention to the orientation, forget about it. It's really frustrating. I just emailed Ensso and asked if maybe I just got a bum one (the threads are glassy smooth when it does engage, so the machining was otherwise very, very good. The section doesn't cross thread into the barrel and the rest of the machining is perfect) and we'll see. I'll report back on it.

Thanks @honeybadgers for the update (any pictures forthcoming?): I haven't even gotten a shipping notification yet...

Thanks @honeybadgers for the update (any pictures forthcoming?): I haven't even gotten a shipping notification yet...

Same here. Still waiting for a shipping notification.

According to Ensso's update feed, the last of the pens will ship next week.

Edited by Theroc

Same here. Still waiting for a shipping notification.

According to Ensso's update feed, the last of the pens will ship next week.

Which means that once you factor international shipping into the equation, I might not see mine till February :(.

Never mind, I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

Carlo said that this has been an issue common to metal-metal threads - I think mine is a bit worse than I'd expect from that. Nevertheless, he said give it one or two weeks of use and the issue usually resolves itself and then follow up- this is 95% the case for my tactile turn gist, which did cross thread more but now doesn't very often. I told him I would, since I really honestly hope that's the case, as apart from that one thing, I really love the fit, finish, feel in the hand, and the nib.

I work 13 of the next 14 days and cap/uncap my pen about 100 times a day, so it should see more than a thousand capping/uncapping cycles. I'll keep it updated.

Pictures are the same as they are on the website. Apart from the cross threading, I cant' find a single rough edge or badly machined surface.

The clip is a bit tight, but I think it's a little softer than the tactile turn. It should loosen up a hair with use, too. The shape is perfect for sliding over stuff. It's rather small and kinda flimsy looking in the pictures, but in person, feels sturdy as hell. It ain't breaking anytime soon.

I got mine, its very nice.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Carlo said that this has been an issue common to metal-metal threads - I think mine is a bit worse than I'd expect from that. Nevertheless, he said give it one or two weeks of use and the issue usually resolves itself and then follow up- this is 95% the case for my tactile turn gist, which did cross thread more but now doesn't very often. I told him I would, since I really honestly hope that's the case, as apart from that one thing, I really love the fit, finish, feel in the hand, and the nib.

I work 13 of the next 14 days and cap/uncap my pen about 100 times a day, so it should see more than a thousand capping/uncapping cycles. I'll keep it updated.

Pictures are the same as they are on the website. Apart from the cross threading, I cant' find a single rough edge or badly machined surface.

The clip is a bit tight, but I think it's a little softer than the tactile turn. It should loosen up a hair with use, too. The shape is perfect for sliding over stuff. It's rather small and kinda flimsy looking in the pictures, but in person, feels sturdy as hell. It ain't breaking anytime soon.

How does the shape compare to that of a Faber castell e-motion?

How does the shape compare to that of a Faber castell e-motion?

I don't have an e-motion.

Honestly, it feels a lot like a solid brass mont blanc 149.