Can Someone Please Buy This So I Can Stop Coveting It? Thanks!

Marlow

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marlow

• Charles Rice

• pajaro

• samasry

Just a tad expensive, don't you think?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Just a tad expensive, don't you think?

Erick

I think it's very expensive otherwise I would have made an offer already. It does appear to be the 1930's sleeve-filler version, however and is by a very large margin the prettiest Cross pen I have ever seen hence my coveting.

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I agree that it's a lovely pen, and if I were an even more avid Cross collector I'd be seriously tempted (even though it's not a Townsend ;) ). But as it stands I think that price is a bit too high. I would probably find a much cheaper one of their 150th Anniversary pens (which are usually much cheaper, current eBay evidence to the contrary) and settle for that.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

How does one arrive at a good appraisal for this pen set? It is offered at $1500, but why not $3000, or $750?

How does one arrive at a good appraisal for this pen set? It is offered at $1500, but why not $3000, or $750?

The seller has referred in his listing to 'pen experts' who have appraised the set at double what he's asking! I think the asking price is probably not too far off given the rarity and condition although I'm sure the Packard emblems actually detract from rather than enhance the value. He's inviting offers and the set has been relisted at least once so it's had quite a bit of exposure without anyone biting. It won't be me but I think someone could offer £800 and get it for £900-£950.

I think that whilst Cross pens are highly regarded by users they do not have the wider recognition and, hence appeal to the wider, spendy pen-enthusiast community, which would account for the lack of a buyer for such a rare set. I would have it on lovely art deco looks + the fact that it's a sleeve-filler but at £600 max. The resaleability factor is a major problem especially if he's already offering it at half the appraised value! When you think that you could buy a nice Eversharp full coronet set for around £6-700 (which has gone up steadily in value over the last ten years since I've been observing it), you can see why this Cross Art Deco set is a bit too niche in appeal.

Laura Ingalls Wilder

The seller has referred in his listing to 'pen experts' who have appraised the set at double what he's asking! I think the asking price is probably not too far off given the rarity and condition although I'm sure the Packard emblems actually detract from rather than enhance the value. He's inviting offers and the set has been relisted at least once so it's had quite a bit of exposure without anyone biting. It won't be me but I think someone could offer £800 and get it for £900-£950.

I think that whilst Cross pens are highly regarded by users they do not have the wider recognition and, hence appeal to the wider, spendy pen-enthusiast community, which would account for the lack of a buyer for such a rare set. I would have it on lovely art deco looks + the fact that it's a sleeve-filler but at £600 max. The resaleability factor is a major problem especially if he's already offering it at half the appraised value! When you think that you could buy a nice Eversharp full coronet set for around £6-700 (which has gone up steadily in value over the last ten years since I've been observing it), you can see why this Cross Art Deco set is a bit too niche in appeal.

Thank you for the clarification :thumbup:

Thank you for the clarification :thumbup:

No problem! Thank you for the 'Lessons in Love' reminder! ;)

Laura Ingalls Wilder

It's a fake anyway. :)

What makes you say that?

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Is the nib original? It's not marked ''Cross".

No idea. Perhaps early Cross pens, like several other brands, used warranted nibs?

Laura Ingalls Wilder

What makes you say that?

So you will stop coveting it of course.

So you will stop coveting it of course.

What a lovely thought! Thank you! :D I now consider it dead to me and shall no longer even acknowledge its existence.

Laura Ingalls Wilder

What a lovely thought! Thank you! :D I now consider it dead to me and shall no longer even acknowledge its existence.

I'm happy to be of service.

P.S. From now on, just consider anything on Ebay as either a fake, stolen, or run over by a frieght train.

,,, although I'm sure the Packard emblems actually detract from rather than enhance the value.

I think you are right about that, they are actually sort of ugly and give the pens a Harry Potter vibe that is not a good look. I'm telling you this for your own good.

I confess the look does absolutely nothing for me with those gaudy (and slightly tatty?) bands....

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I have to admit that I like the pen set but it is way out of my ball park.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I think you are right about that, they are actually sort of ugly and give the pens a Harry Potter vibe that is not a good look. I'm telling you this for your own good.

I am extremely grateful to realise that more than one member on here is looking out for my welfare! :happyberet:

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I have to admit that I like the pen set but it is way out of my ball park.

Truth.

On the four occasions that I have spent as much as half his asking price on a pen I had a very high confidence that they were immediately worth quite a bit more than I paid! £600 is the price point at which I start to recoil in horror at the anticipated buyer's remorse. This is also why I am never likely to own a 149 Silver Rings, a 139, a Hemingway or an early Parker Abalone taper cap eyedropper. (sigh)

Laura Ingalls Wilder