The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook Eyedropper Question

eyedropper

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NobleDel

NobleDel

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 15:34

Hello,

Can anyone provide information about this pen?

I recently won an auction for this Esterbrook BCHR eyedropper pen.  Per Paul Hoban's book, Esterbrook sold two eyedropper models around 1915 and 1920. One marked Relief 314, and one marked Made in U.S.A. The pen I won is marked Made in U.S.A. The nib is marked 14 ct. which may indicate it was made for the European market. This could explain the fact that the seller of this pen was in the UK.  Any more info about this pen such as dates of production, manufacturer if not actually Esterbrook, etc., would be appreciated. 

Thank you very much.

Attached Images

• Esterbrook eyedropper 1.png
  • Esterbrook eyedropper 4.jpg
  • Esterbrook eyedropper 5.jpg
  • Esterbrook eyedropper 7.jpg
  • Esterbrook eyedropper 2.jpg
  • Esterbrook eyedropper 3.jpg

Edited by NobleDel, 04 July 2019 - 22:39.

Sponsored Content

#2 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2019 - 13:48

There were many more than two models of eye dropper made. This one was made by Aikin Lambert as evidenced by the feed and overall styling. Wirt was also a player in the US as well and those are easily identified by the ventless nib and vented feed.
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#3 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2019 - 16:34

That feed looks just like the one on my Relief 2L, which was supposedly made by Conway Stewart, although the text on the nib is oriented differently.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#4 NobleDel

NobleDel

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 21:32

There were many more than two models of eye dropper made. This one was made by Aikin Lambert as evidenced by the feed and overall styling. Wirt was also a player in the US as well and those are easily identified by the ventless nib and vented feed.

Thanks very much for the info Brian.

#5 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• 2,880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2019 - 19:14

It's a beauty. Thanks for sharing. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#6 NobleDel

NobleDel

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2019 - 23:38

It's a beauty. Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks very much.  These photos were from the auction listing.  I bought the pen as a gift.  I will post my own photos once I give it.  

#7 Mannyonpil

Mannyonpil

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:07

Is the nib original to the pen? It looks quite similar to the nib from one of the later models of the English Relief pens, if I am not mistaken. It is, of course, highly likely that I am mistaken, confused, or otherwise astray.

#8 NobleDel

NobleDel

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2019 - 21:47

Is the nib original to the pen? It looks quite similar to the nib from one of the later models of the English Relief pens, if I am not mistaken. It is, of course, highly likely that I am mistaken, confused, or otherwise astray.

I don't know for a fact, but I assume so.  

Here's a copy of the original auction listing that I won:

This Esterbrook Eye-dropper, in black chased hard rubber, probably dates from the early/mid 1920s. It is in good working condition. It has been cleaned and tested but not otherwise restored. The pattern is worn and the colour the dark olive that this material ages to. The colour is even.  

• This pen has a smooth medium 14ct gold Esterbrook Relief USA nib. The nib/feed setting is as found and as it performs well has not been adjusted. Small degree of flex to nib.
  • The bandless cap is in good condition, having a good fit with the barrel. 
  • The feed, section, and barrel areas above. The barrel carries strong imprints. There is a small (2mm) surface crack to the bottom rim and a similar but finer circular one to part of  circumference of the the barrel end. These could be easily closed. The barrel does not leak.
  • The closed length of the pen is 134mm.

Edited by NobleDel, 30 July 2019 - 21:48.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyedropper

Sponsored Content

|