Our School Fountain Pens

7is

I was given my first fountain pen in a primary school in the mid 80s {communist Poland); one of the Hero 3xx and I guess most kids around had one those days. Then, another couple of Heros or Wing Sungs and ballpoints until Parker Vector and finally Rialto/88 in liceum.

Heros served well. However, the most vivid memories always include blue fingers. In comparison, the Parkers seemed like a dream, reliable and lasting forever; maybe apart from the cracked cap lips of Vectors.

What were your school fountain pens? If you don't mind. I'm just curious.

Edited by 7is

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BaronWulfraed

• SoulSamurai

• stenolearner

• austollie

Sheaffer "school" cartridge pen in 5th grade. My father's old Pilot (unknown model) in 7th (lost when it slipped out of my pocket in 9th) -- replaced with a Sheaffer 440 and a pair of Parker 45s (bottom end models). Sheaffer Targa in college.

Sheaffer "school" cartridge pen in 5th grade. My father's old Pilot (unknown model) in 7th (lost when it slipped out of my pocket in 9th) -- replaced with a Sheaffer 440 and a pair of Parker 45s (bottom end models). Sheaffer Targa in college.

Do you still use any Sheaffers?

I was given a Scripto in fifth grade. Lost over time, but I saw another on ebay and bought it. It has a gray rubber sac that looks original and works.

I have a few Sheaffer school pens with translucent barrels. I put converters in them.

I also have a couple of Sheaffer Dolphins like ones my friends in seventh and eighth grades had.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

A blue Pelikan Pelikano, which I still have in my drawer. We used to play darts with it, the nib is slightly bent (I wonder why B)) but it kept writing reliably no matter what. Later at grammar school I got a Lamy and I still don't know what model that was.

Parker 45 flighter with medium steel nib. Still have it but now it sports a butter-smooth 'D' nib. Still use it at least once a week several decades later.

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

No name Piston filler maybe made in germany, Sheaffer No nosense, Sheaffer School, Parker 25, etc. :thumbup:

A red Lamy ABC. Mine was red and not blue because I was a lefty. Not that teachers took that into consideration when judging my writing though.. Back then I cursed my fountain pen, always smearing and smudging my writing and getting bad grades because of it.

I sincerely hope for all lefty kids out there that now, with all the new technology for elementary schools, they have come up with something to properly learn left-handed kids how to write.

It was only my determination that caused me to learn underwriting so that I'm able to write neatly with a fountain pen nowadays.

I'm not sure, every fountain pen I had from 4th to 10th grade was stolen. We were not rich enough to engrave my name on them.

The first few were lever pens, then unfortunately I got terribly expensive cartridge pens....how expensive.....well on a $.10 to 0.25 a week allowance, no Coke, not big nickle Snickers and only nickle packs of baseball cards in the Summer....About the only comic book I bought was #1 Spiderman.....use to stand there and read them. I did buy one or two and 'b*thched' when the price jumped to $015. Candy was a rare treat.

Somewhere about the 8th-9th grade, I lucked into a pack of 10 ball point refills for a whole dime, and was good for a year or more.

I'm sure I had had some sort of Sheaffer cartridge pen, the Esterbrook was one of them ugly metal capped solid color ones after 1960. Wearever and Venus were also owned.

Hum, so I did have some ink pens, instead of cartridge pens.......even the Venus was stolen! :doh:

My start of the school year Jotter was always stolen also. :crybaby:And their cartridges were too expensive also.

As an Army brat, the cheap black Skillcraft, were free, and seldom stolen. The long Bic, was not stolen often, it could be stored in the round spring of a binder.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

My Dad, who loved any new technology, gave me a Parker 61 that I loathed, it was a nail! But I still have the old Osmiroid lever filler with an open steel nib, and Platignum, with a semi hooded nib somewhere. P.S. I left school in 1966.

I had a fountain pen only at elementary school, from the age of 6 years to 11, from 1971 to 1976.

I had a Pelikan Pelikano fine point, and blue and then one yellow.

Then FP comes back again at the time of university, and the hobby started from there, about 30 years ago.

Edited by fabri00

Sheaffer clear blue flat top/ flat bottom school pen. I lost it many years ago but was able to find another like it a few years back and use it ocassionally.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I was taught to write on my grandfather's grey Lamy, who then bought me a L2K. The pen was stolen a few years later.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Do you still use any Sheaffers?

I have 15 (not counting calligraphy sets, but including an Admiral snorkel that apparently has never been inked -- it still has the factory label tape around the section) though none are in the current rotation (which presently has four Rangas with two more expected next month). None purchased since 2005 -- and the current models do not interest me, looking more like overpriced "fad" products.

Edited by BaronWulfraed

A Parker 45, green with gold trim and gold (or maybe plated) F nib, now long gone. I think I also had a Shaeffer school pen briefly. I now own another 45, but with black barrel, and alternate it between a GP M nib and a nice 14K R (left foot OM). I only used my original 45 with cartridges, but now have a twist converter in the black 45.

Up to 7th grade, mine was a Parker 21, with Peacock blue ink permanently staining my fingers. I loved that pen. Later it was on to a Pelikan which had a flexible nib that I never understood how to use properly, and abused horribly.

Does anyone remember Peacock Blue ink in the 60’s? Not sure it was a Parker ink. Maybe Script?

I used fountain pens from the age of 11, at school in England in the late 1960s and early 1970s, but strangely I can't remember any of them very clearly. Platignum is the brand I recall, though I'm sure there were others too. There were cartridge pens and lever fillers. I remember some of the wealthier kids having Parkers.

I always had inky fingers and I hated the washed-out royal blue we were supposed to use for school. In my late teens I began to mix my own colours, and still have some sixth-form essays written in my own burgundy ink, made from blue and red Quink. I remember that better than the pen or pens I used it with.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

My mother gave me a Parker Vacumatic "51" in the early 1950's....which

I still have and use often..........

Fred

chow time........................................................Adios.........