The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Kmart Notebooks Fountain Pen Friendly?!

paper

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TingHZ

TingHZ

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:33

This is my first post so bear with me. The pics and my handwriting could be better  :blush:

I hear brands like Tomoe River and Rhodia being fountain pen friendly paper but they cost a bit too much for me.

I discovered that Kmart notebooks actually handle fountain pen inks pretty darn well.

IMAG0997.jpg

Good budget paper for flex pen calligraphy practice. I have attached some pics which could hopefully illustrate my point.

IMAG0993.jpg

Shading from a Pilot Fine nib.

IMAG0995.jpg

I used Robert Oster's Clearwater Rain which showed a hint of the elusive red sheen in this pic.

IMAG1004.jpg

IMAG1005.jpg

Alternative ink with Pilot Justus FM and Pelikan Adventurine.

IMAG1006.jpg

To prove my point, same ink on different paper. (top: random paper taken from uni printer, bottom: J Burrow's Premium Digital Paper)

By comparison, normal paper (and 'premium') paper just cant handle too much ink without feathering, whereas the Kmart paper just handles it like a champ. Not a single trace of feathering. 

I bought this notebook from Australian Kmart. Not sure if its the same for Kmart's in other countries. 

Edited by TingHZ, 01 July 2019 - 12:56.

Sponsored Content

#2 inkypete

inkypete

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 22:11

Nice review, thanks. I will check them out. Always good to find a budget priced notebook that surprises. What is the show through like? Are you able to post a pic of the other side of the page?

Posted Image

#3 TingHZ

TingHZ

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 13:00

Yep, there is some show through, especially for the thicker writings. The paper is relatively thin

IMAG1011-min.jpg

#4 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:10

Thanks for this, the Kmart paper performs much better than I expected.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paper

Sponsored Content

|