Grandfather Of The Pilot E95S - 1968 Pilot Elite

VintageCollector

Almost of Pilots pocket fountain pens, from the Volex to the crosshatched Elite to the modern E95S, can perhaps be traced back to the 1968 Pilot Elite, Pilots first rendition of the long-short pocket pen format. These came with a fingernail-style 18 karat gold nib and take the same converters that the modern E95S can. How I wish you can buy fountain pens new like these today for still 2000 yen...

post-147324-0-34525900-1561916846_thumb.jpeg

Edited by VintageCollector

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stan

• awa54

• GreenMountain

• christof

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love that white one. I bought an E95 last month, and am quite happy with it.

If I could ask, what does "fingernail" nib mean? I don't know that phrasing.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

It only means that the nib looks very much like a long, pointy fingernail.

For a while that thought gave me shivers as I could not "un-see" it :yikes: , but now it does not bother me anymore and I am in love with my black E95s again. :P

Edited by JulieParadise

My current carry-around that has replaced the Rotring 600 now that I've taken the time to smooth the nib (EF).

post-70628-0-69999500-1561929175_thumb.jpg

Am I right in thinking that this model is early 70's?

Edited by Marlow

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Yes, the old Elites are marvelous pens. It appears that there was a whole fad of pocket pens for a while in Japan and there were many imitators by other pen companies. The idea of a pocket pen in its Japanese version is a wonderful concept and so practical.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

• 4 months later...

I just bought my first Pilot Elite 95. Its been true love. It my EDC now. As I learn more about these pens, the more I love it. I do wish that they had more beautiful options like some of these vintage models. Now Im on the hunt for more. 😻

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently developed an interest in theese pens and got a few:

48886828361_72c1669fbb_o.jpgPilot Pocket Pens by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

One could try to collect pictures of the different models here. What do you think?

Unfortunately, the pocket pens don't get much attention in the book of A. Lambrou, "fountain pens of Japan" and there isn't much information on the internet.

C.

Edited by christof

Elites are wonderful pens.

They are practical, reliable, and somehow, don't have any weak spots.

It's quite hard to believe that, because virtually every other pen in existence has some sort of spot where a crack can develop, (I.E. crappy plastic, cap lip, pressure from J Bar inside a barrel, a nib collar that can crack from torque, etc.)

For that, I have nothing but good things to say about a pen design that, dare I say, is more reliable than a Parker 51!

One could try to collect pictures of the different models here. What do you think?

Unfortunately, the pocket pens don't get much attention in the book of A. Lambrou, "fountain pens of Japan" and there isn't much information on the internet.

C.

They do not get much attention because, basically, they were inexpensive pens. FPOJ is focused more on higher-end and rarer models.

A number of years ago I communicated with a collector in Nagano who said she had over 400 different makes and models of short pens. Hard to believe. Probably had different nib types and sizes. Besides the Big Three some smaller companies made them too. Morison, for on, comes to mind.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

• 3 months later...

Stan, I wish you had persuaded the Nagano collector to photograph her collection. I sure would like to see it!

I have too many of these pens, only Pilot and Platinum, and my aim is not to exceed 1/10th the number belonging to the Queen of short pens.

Here are a few vintage pens I'm currently using. It's hard to see but the second from the right has a nasty ring of strange metal that I can't swap for a plain one given that it is wider than the usual ring. This one is my favorite based on function, but it has to stay home based on looks.

Left to right
Platinum 14K (Tied for 4th)

Pilot Elite 14K (Tied for 4th)

Platinum 18K (3rd best)
Pilot Elite 18K (best writer)
Platinum 18K (2nd best)

What's the conclusion? 18K is better than 14K based on this limited selection. I have a new 95s 14K that is also very smooth.

short 5 comp.JPG

short 5 - 1-min - comp.JPG

My current carry-around that has replaced the Rotring 600...

Am I right in thinking that this model is early 70's?

There's a date stamp on the nib, first one or two digits are month, last two year of production.

David-

So many restoration projects...

Stan, I wish you had persuaded the Nagano collector to photograph her collection. I sure would like to see it!

At the time my interests were buying and selling. She did not have anything she wished to part with.

Pilot may have made the most varieties. The Elite series and Volex models make a great collection.

Platinum pens with MUSIC nibs are definitely worth pursuing. They came with both 14K and 18K nibs. The 14K have more flex and can write very wet lines. To my surprise there were some 18K models that exhibited the same flex. Cannot use converters, only cartridges.

Sailor made several very collectible short pens. I'd look for their hieroglyphic models (pricey) and pens with metal barrels. The down side is they too need the impossible to find Sailor squeeze filler that has not been made for many years. Current cartridges will fit.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

They have three times. They also say music on the nib.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

C.

Are those sterling silver? Or are they the blueish tone I'm seeing on my screen? Because I could see myself getting the one in the middle....

I really need to stop reading threads like this one. :headsmack: Because too many threads like this one become "Danger! Danger Will Robinson!" to my wallet....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Only the middle one is silver. The other are stainless steel. the on eon the right is not an Elite. It is a Myu.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Are those sterling silver? Or are they the blueish tone I'm seeing on my screen? Because I could see myself getting the one in the middle....

I really need to stop reading threads like this one. :headsmack: Because too many threads like this one become "Danger! Danger Will Robinson!" to my wallet....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I have the Sterling grid Elite (cap only for mine) inbound from Japan, it ought to arrive Tuesday. I also have the stainless grid design in all metal and cap-only variants and I think my 1970s Myu actually came from Stan :D

Heed the danger signs, these are *fantastic* pens if you like firm fine points (most common, though other nibs pop up occasionally for premium prices).

However, I suggest that you confront that danger and find yourself a sterling Elite... clean cap-only pens seem to be running from $100-$175 on Ebay these days, with the all sterling variant drawing another $50 or more, depending on condition.

Please excuse the terrible phone camera teaser images ;)

0222201418sm.jpg

0222201418asm.jpg

Edited by awa54

David-

So many restoration projects...

Most will have firm FINE nibs. Other nib sizes (XF, M, and B) are harder to find but they exist. I do not recall seeing a music nib on any. Some of the Elites use the same large thumbnail nib found on the Custom. that might be a bonus. The rarest nib made for Myu was a Soft Fine or Soft Medium. recall seeing one or two in twenty years.

Elites and Myu are still available on yahoo Japan. Prices might be better than eBay. You can also find a larger variety of short pens too.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Only the middle one is silver. The other are stainless steel. the on eon the right is not an Elite. It is a Myu.

This is correct. I made some better pictures of the pens. the blueish tone seems to be an error of the automatic white balance of my camera.

48887007677_8aea113c74_o.jpgPilot Pocket Pens_2 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

48886828706_05cfd60b1e_o.jpgPilot Pocket Pens by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

the pen with the integrated nib is an M90. the MYU is a little bit different:

43838673284_fe2196a44b_o.jpgPilot M90 2008 vs Pilot Myu 701 1971 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

C.

Edited by christof