Waterman W2 Were The Section And Barrel Are The Same Piece.

Dakan

Hi Folks

I have a Waterman W2 were the barrel and section are one piece. As the pen was not too expensive I was going to have a go at restoring it myself. So my question is, how do you replace the sac if there is no section to twist off?

post-151514-0-60195900-1561902319_thumb.jpg

post-151514-0-63571600-1561902231_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Shane

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• Dakan

• crescentfiller

• Marlow

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you tried applying some heat (hair dryer or heat-gun of some kind) before attempting to remove the section?

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

can assure you the section and barrel consist of two separate parts - as suggested, try the hair dryer, plus some patience. :)

Am interested in how you removed the feed etc. - assume it was a reasonably loose fit.

P.S. assuming you do need to resort to section pliers and hair dryer - do make sure you replace the feed before gripping tightly - sections have been know to fold when lacking inner support.

Edited by PaulS

Thanks folks, I'll give the hairdryer a go and see how that goes. Yes the feed came out fairly easily. I think the ink sac inside has perished as the level won't lift fully either.

if ever you suspect the barrel still contains a sac, or remnants, never lift the lever - it's been the cause of many a bent or broken lever.

Got it!

I dipped it in some hot water and after a while it came off. Looks like the sac has perished. I have a dull dental scarper thing so I'll see if it can coax it out. Then get a replacement sac and I have a little restoration project for myself.

post-151514-0-98437100-1562014421_thumb.jpg

post-151514-0-11584800-1562014437_thumb.jpg

post-151514-0-37475600-1562014452_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dakan

tut tut - you didn't follow the instructions :) .............. the W series are celluloid pens, and may not appreciate hot water, so always best to use the hair dryer. Try to beg, steal or borrow one, it might just save a disaster next time, and if you dig around inside the barrel be careful not to mangle the pressure bar. Long, thin nosed pliers are more than useful - or very slim tweezers.

Thanks Antique. I'll remember that for next time.

Got everything out with tweezers and small screwdrivers.

The two pen shops here in Dublin don't stock replacement ink sacs. So I might just bite the bullet and let the repair guy in the Pen Corner do it for me. Might see if I can buy some replacement sacs from him and buy a cheap unrestored pen from Ebay and put what I've learned into practice.

post-151514-0-68970900-1562701067_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dakan

You've done all the work now! You can get sacs on ebay quite easily (and cheaply) and that'll save you quite a bit. Plus, you'll have the satisfaction of having done the job yourself.

Not just a sac. It's probably a #16 but measure the outside diameter of the nipple to be sure. Measure in 64th of an inch (who needs metric), however many 64ths there are, that's your sac size. Have you also got some shellac (NOT nail polish) and some talc, (NOT talcum powder)?

Before you got much further, look at Richard Binder's site (Richardspens.com), go to his ''reference pages'' and then scroll to ''repairers corner''. The first article is about re-sacing. Best of luck.

know I'm getting old, but am sure I don't yet really qualify as 'antique' - or perhaps I do :D

I know we keep throwing advice at you, but if you can bear it here is just a little more ………………… you'll find a torch very useful - the sort that can project a slim beam down into the barrel - or one with an adjustable beam that can be narrowed to see the very bottom of the barrel.

It's surprising the many occasions when an old sac breaks within a barrel, how some fragments stubbornly remain, despite thinking we've removed them all.

As if disintegrating dry sacs aren't bad enough, the sacs that really bug are the sticky ones where the rubber has degraded allowing some parts of the sac to stick like glue to the barrel wall.

Search for job lots of old f.ps. or those needing repair etc., and confine your search to b.f. and l.f. jobs. - stay well away from Vacs. and more complex constructions like P51, for the time being.