The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

1Oz-2Oz Leak Proof Ink Storage Bottles : Share Your Experience

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 salmasry

salmasry

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 23:20

Hi all

I am looking for some good  bottles for ink storage that is  leak proof and could hold up to 1 or 2 Oz.

I have some of the  Pilot 350 mL  bottles and I would like to use smaller vials or bottles  for  pen  filling  ink that  originates from the larger pilot bottles.

I do understand that you can re-use empty ink bottles. With my use rate, it will take long time before I get to empty any of my current ink bottles.

If you have some good experience with some good leak proof  bottles, please do share.

Thanks

Sponsored Content

#2 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 00:56

These things are darn near indestructible. 

https://www.containe...00243&q=nalgene

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#3 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:16

Yes, this.  Your quest was one of the fastest on record!  :)

I keep all my ink in Nalgene bottles (couple hundred of them by now, yikes!)  Can't imagine ever storing, shipping or otherwise transporting ink any other way.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#4 salmasry

salmasry

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:51

Thank you very much for the quick and great pointer. I was not thinking in that direction at all.  That the benefit of having this great forum. :)

#5 salmasry

salmasry

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:53

Yes, this.  Your quest was one of the fastest on record!  :)

I keep all my ink in Nalgene bottles (couple hundred of them by now, yikes!)  Can't imagine ever storing, shipping or otherwise transporting ink any other way.

Best Regards, greg

I agree , Dave's response was extremely fast and helpful.  I have been wasting amazing amount of time on amazon,  looking at  mason jars that look leaky and  problematic.  I did not even realize this option was available. Thank you guys,  :D

#6 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 03:37

Only one answer - Nalgene bottles, as others have said.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#7 salmasry

salmasry

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:42

Only one answer - Nalgene bottles, as others have said.  

Thank you for the confirmation. I did not know this was such common knowledge.  I should have asked a lot earlier , but then I just joined few  weeks ago :)

#8 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• 1,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 19:39

Thank you for the confirmation. I did not know this was such common knowledge.  I should have asked a lot earlier , but then I just joined few  weeks ago :)

In that case, a belated welcome to Enablers R Us.

Dave Campbell

#9 salmasry

salmasry

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 20:27

In that case, a belated welcome to Enablers R Us.

Thank you   :thumbup:

#10 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 20:57

I think you can get Nalgene bottles online.  I'll admit that I probably paid a bit more, but I got most of mine at REI in the camping/backpacking section.  I use one of the larger 4 oz. bottles for distilled water when I'm traveling, in case I have issues with a pen getting cloggy (I'll just pour out what I need into a paper cup).

Mind you, unless it's upright in a basket, I will put bottles inside  ziplock bags, just to be on the safe side, the way I do for sample vials (which make excellent short-term inkwells, BTW -- I have a lot of samples and if I like an ink I will save the original sample vial and refill it from the bottle -- and that way they're already labeled  :thumbup:).  I also have bought some clean empty vials for inks that I didn't have a sample of; I find, though, that return address labels (the peel off-stick on kind) don't stick too well, so I have to then put scotch tape around the edges of the label).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

Edited by inkstainedruth, 02 July 2019 - 20:57.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#11 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,087 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 22:04

I can tell that I'm getting old. I used some prescription bottles. Airtight, leakproof and already in my desk.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#12 salmasry

salmasry

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 23:58

I think you can get Nalgene bottles online.  I'll admit that I probably paid a bit more, but I got most of mine at REI in the camping/backpacking section.  I use one of the larger 4 oz. bottles for distilled water when I'm traveling, in case I have issues with a pen getting cloggy (I'll just pour out what I need into a paper cup).

Mind you, unless it's upright in a basket, I will put bottles inside  ziplock bags, just to be on the safe side, the way I do for sample vials (which make excellent short-term inkwells, BTW -- I have a lot of samples and if I like an ink I will save the original sample vial and refill it from the bottle -- and that way they're already labeled  :thumbup:).  I also have bought some clean empty vials for inks that I didn't have a sample of; I find, though, that return address labels (the peel off-stick on kind) don't stick too well, so I have to then put scotch tape around the edges of the label).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

Thank you for the good advice.  I have purchased some of the Nalgene from the  container store link that was posted earlier, it will take couple  of weeks to arrive.

I just realized from your reply that the sample vial option would have been great actually. In  my case I did not have any, however I found goulet and others selling empty sample vials. Perhaps, I might try some of these as well.

#13 salmasry

salmasry

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 00:03

I can tell that I'm getting old. I used some prescription bottles. Airtight, leakproof and already in my desk.

As long as you are young at heart, that is what matters  :D

I have few  of CVS bottles, with  several holes in the cap, so I naturally assumed they are not leak proof.  I just did a quick test and they seem to leak a bit.

There must other versions that have better sealed caps, unfortunately, I do not have any of these.

Thanks for the idea

#14 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• 1,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:11

As long as you are young at heart, that is what matters  :D

I have few  of CVS bottles, with  several holes in the cap, so I naturally assumed they are not leak proof.  I just did a quick test and they seem to leak a bit.

There must other versions that have better sealed caps, unfortunately, I do not have any of these.

Thanks for the idea

Some prescription meds come in bottles with two way caps.  Attached one way you get the lovely childproof feature which is also arthritic hand proof.  Rotated the other way it is a conventional screw on cap that is usually watertight.  I use those for things like pen cleaning solutions, especially when a really stubborn nib/feed/section assembly needs rapido-eze in an ultrasonic.  I emphasize usually and I am not sure I would use them to carry ink in my luggage but test the ones you have.  You may be lucky.  Nalgene bottles, when properly closed, NEVER leak.

Dave Campbell

#15 salmasry

salmasry

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 20:52

Some prescription meds come in bottles with two way caps.  Attached one way you get the lovely childproof feature which is also arthritic hand proof.  Rotated the other way it is a conventional screw on cap that is usually watertight.  I use those for things like pen cleaning solutions, especially when a really stubborn nib/feed/section assembly needs rapido-eze in an ultrasonic.  I emphasize usually and I am not sure I would use them to carry ink in my luggage but test the ones you have.  You may be lucky.  Nalgene bottles, when properly closed, NEVER leak.

Thank you for the  kind advice. The only medication bottles  that I have are this kind with holes on the cap:

https://i0.wp.com/my...lease-image.png

I have tested it and it does not seem to be leak proof. It holds water better than I expected, but I would not trust it with ink.

I have the  1oz/2oz nalgene bottles en route,  so hopefully these would do the trick.

I may also get me some of these  5ml-7ml  sample bottles, however, for now at least, I do not have a  use for these  :D

Happy 4th y'all

Edited by salmasry, 03 July 2019 - 20:52.

#16 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibulous

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 21:00

Uh. Nalgene! :rolleyes:

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#17 salmasry

salmasry

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:16

Uh. Nalgene! :rolleyes:

I would be interested to hear  your take on them Nalgene bottles, or if you prefer other options  :)

Sponsored Content

|