The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

We Did An Evil Thing

pens enabler

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 cattar

cattar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:30

With an unlimited budget I think I would just invest in some Preppies with converters to have to hand out.  That was my first pen and it worked well.  I just don't think the converter should cost more than the pen. 

Consider preppy with cartridge. That's what I do.

By the time they need new ink, they're usually ready to try & buy more fountain pens.

Edited by cattar, 04 July 2019 - 05:31.

Sponsored Content

#42 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:02

Platinum carts can be refilled with disposable bulb pipettes, no syringes needed.

#43 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:37

Platinum carts can be refilled with disposable bulb pipettes, no syringes needed.

I put converters in Preppies but gotta suck ink from bottle using the removed convertor only, not good to suck thru the section.

#44 Mercian

Mercian

Egregiously prolix

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2019 - 15:49

I'm down to couple shots of an old bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin (in Islay scotch needs practice and is nothing for 'noobies'),

For a subtle-yet-rewardingly-complex Islay, I recommend Caol Ila.

It’s still ‘not for noobs’, but is less overpowering/taste-bud-bludgeoning than your Lagavulin.

Or if your tastes run more to the peatier, smokier iterations (what one might call ‘Weapons-Grade’ Islays), then Laphroaig is another ‘heavy-hitter’.

One might think of Lagavulin & Laphroaig as the whisky equivalents of ESSRI, in which case Caol Ila might be the R&K Salix of whisky  :)

mini-postcard-exc.png

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

#45 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,116 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 23:20

This is why I kept Pilot Varsity pens in various colors on my classroom desk.  All I asked was that they take good care of them.

Don't forget, with a towel and a pair of pliers, you can refill varsitys.
The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.

#46 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2019 - 23:57

Don't forget, with a towel and a pair of pliers, you can refill varsitys.

It's easier to pop off the rear finial and drill thru the bulkhead midway inside the barrel.

Drill a small hole and refill original ink chamber with needle & syringe then bung the hole with a suitable screw. Or drill a much larger hole and use both original & extra chamber to hold twice as much ink. Rear finial seems pretty ink-tight by itself & I've even fitted a thin o-ring for extra measure... that v-pen only lives on my desk though.

#47 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 18:59

I must say for the record: a vodka martini is not a martini. Nor are those recent abominations with “ini” appended to their names.
One must maintain one’s standards.

#48 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,665 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 19:56

Yeah, my brother's housemate tried to offer us an "apple-tini" one time.  Didn't understand why we were declining....  We kept pointing out that we had to DRIVE afterwards.  And that 2 PM was way too early for any sort of booze, and that I don't like REGULAR martinis....  I did have a glass of red wine with dinner, but seriously.  We had to drive from eastern NJ to at LEAST the Delaware Water Gap that night, and hopefully past the Poconos.  And we didn't know the roads to get up to I-80 from there that well, especially at night.  

But then, my brother's housemate is a total poser....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#49 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2019 - 20:36

When the party’s at my house I can open that 2005 Barolo and drink as much as I want.
Too bad about the glassware.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pens, enabler

Sponsored Content

|