The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mabie Todd & Co 'swan' Ink

mabie todd swan ink dried iron gall red bottle vintage australia blue black

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lunoxmos

Lunoxmos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 03:48

I recently went down to an antique shop and I happened to find some 'Swan' Ink bottles, made by Mabie Todd & Co in Sydney Australia. One bottle was labeled "PERMANENT BLUE BLACK" while the other was "VIVID RED". They appear to have what is most likely dried ink in them, though there is a chance that the permanent blue-black one contains iron oxide sediment at the bottom considering it is most likely an iron gall ink.
Is it possible that I could receive some information on them (there doesn't appear to be much about it online), as well as whether it is safe to reconstitute the ink inside of them?
Also. since there appears to be rust on the caps, how would I open the bottles without having to smash the glass or any other method that involve s the destruction of the bottle? (Or should they stay closed?)

IMG_2755.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2757.JPG

Edited by Lunoxmos, 29 June 2019 - 10:20.

Sponsored Content

#2 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 17:43

fpn_1562435014__img_5276.jpg

fpn_1562435033__img_5277.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#3 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 18:34

nothing ventured, nothing gained might be the answer.          Invert the bottles and squirt a tads worth of very light release oil (WD 40 or similar)between the caps and the glass and leave for a while whilst the magic works.                  Alternatively, using the hair dryer, heat the caps but don't cook them and this might help to get things moving.      Try one of those manual grips sold specifically for removing stubborn jar lids.

I wouldn't try resuscitating the contents  -  way too late by now  -  but as already mentioned, these are vintage curios and definitely worth keeping - but don't clean them out as the vestige of ink staining is their real history.  

On reflection  -  just leave them as they are. :)

Edited by PaulS, 06 July 2019 - 18:35.

#4 eachan

eachan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 22:09

Heat will loosen the caps but I'm with the rest: the contents of the bottle have gone well beyond recovery.

Regards,

Eachan

#5 Lunoxmos

Lunoxmos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:57

Thanks guys; on those notes I think I’ll leave the bottles as a display piece somewhere on my desk!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mabie todd, swan, ink, dried, iron gall, red, bottle, vintage, australia, blue black

Sponsored Content

|