The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue Vs. Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao

blue private reserve asa-gao lake placid blue wing sung 6359 moonman 600s iroshizuku

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Antenociticus

Antenociticus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:09

I've been testing both ink samples and inexpensive Chinese pens. Yesterday I put some Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue into a Wing Sung 6359, and today I inked a Moonman 600S with some Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao.

I wasn't really thinking about them being similar colours. I've been working my way through the various Private Reserve blues, and today something reminded me that I'd been meaning to look at Asa-Gao.

I was amazed to find the product of these two pen-and-ink combos to be virtually identical. And so I did an off-the-cuff side-by-side comparison on a page in an A6 Leuchtturm 1917.

You can see some differences at the top of the page, but nothing that couldn't be explained by the Moonman laying down more ink. Both pens have F nibs, but they're different nibs from different makers.

The lines of text at the bottom were written alternately with one pen and the other. I find it hard to see any difference at all.

Nothing remotely scientific about this. Just a doodle for my own amusement, but I thought the result was interesting. The image is an iPhone snap under artificial light after some rudimentary photoshopping.

placvsasasmall.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 23:59

Interesting, with finer nibs Asa Gao can look lighter, which I prefer.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#3 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:43

Nice! Since I prefer (and love only) broad nibs, both will (and do) look darker than with a fine nib. In any case I still prefer asa gao because it looks less placid i.e. richer, stronger.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#4 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2019 - 00:18

I like them both, and have used both for ten years or so. Always thought that Lake Placid was lighter and brighter. Asa-gao is one of my two or three daily inks because it is just dark and purple enough.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blue, private reserve, asa-gao, lake placid blue, wing sung 6359, moonman 600s, iroshizuku

Sponsored Content

|