I Didn't Want To Join...i Shouldn't Have Joined...

feynman

Welcome to the forum.

No purchase necessary.

I agree that many forums (photography is one) put forward the idea that the next lens and the next body will make you a better photographer - but then you look at Henri Cartier Bresson - and what did he have? No digital, no colour, no AF - but a skill for composing photographs - and composure is nothing to do with the latest kit, but with how you frame your picture with the kit you've got.

A new pen will not make you write like Shakespeare - he didn't have a pen. It might inspire you to sit at the desk a little longer and punch out the tortured prose through which you will one day write like Shakespeare.

If you want to try other pens - try looking to see if there is a pen club/meet up close by. If not, you can set one up and come here and tell us about it. You get to share pens and experiences with other people - without buying any new one. It works a treat!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feynman

• 1nkulus

• Tweel

• DrDebG

Welcome.

You don't have to buy anything here.

However, there are a zillion other places to find, . . .

. . . . .

the perfect "Vintage Pen". . . perhaps one made in 1941 . . .

. . . .

and once having it and writing with it. . .you can't help but wonder. . .

. . .

where has it been. . . did someone use to to write to a loved one during the war . . .

. . .

yes. . . . a vintage pen. . . just the right one. . . . just the right one. . .

Welcome to Enablers R Us. If FPN isn't the friendliest forum on the web it certainly ranks near the top. This is a community of pushers fountain pen/ink/paper/repair tool people who love to share their expertise and their passion for all things pen. When I joined FPN I owned four fountain pens, three colors of ink, my repair expertise consisted of being able to swap Esterbrook nibs, and I knew two other people who regularly used fountain pens including me. Today, lots of pens, enough ink to float a battleship, able to do sophisticated repairs and nib adjustments, and LOTS of friends who use fountain pens. It's a steep rabbit hole but it has been a lot of fun falling into it. Enjoy your time here.

Of course, MY perfect vintage pen was made in 1929. Or was it 1920? Except for the English one which was made in 1941. Then there was the one that belonged to Elmer Walzer...

See what this place did to me?

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I know exactly what you mean @feynman. I made the mistake of looking at a desk pen thread. Next thing I am searching eBay. I do like the set I bought. It has a calendar to change every day.

That’s not the only item of course, or ink.

But FPN is also a community, and a very good one.

Posted Image

Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman.

You don't actually have to spend a ton of money on pens, ink, and paper. That's a personal preference.

Most of what I write upon are 1) Dollar store hard books, 2) copy paper timesheets, and 3) Mead spiral notebooks. Needless to say, I haven't found that I need a handmade linen notebook made in the Himalayas. (Although I got one from e-bay dirt cheap just to see what it was. I'm NOT impressed. ) I also have a stack of old blank books bought from Borders before they went out of business, which I use for on-site job notes. One of them is VERY yellowing. (The yellowing one is a B&N $5 special).

My ink? I don't know that I have a single bottle that I paid more than $9 for.

I'd say it's my Scots blood, but if that was the case, I'd have _one_ pen, and TWO bottles of ink.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the variety.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome!!!

From the great Midwest!

:D :D :D :W2FPN:

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 3 weeks later...