I Didn't Want To Join...i Shouldn't Have Joined...

feynman

I've read and learned so much here that I decided that I should probably sign up and participate from time to time.

I am learning quite a bit from these forums, but this education comes with a side of "...and now you want so many pens that you never even knew you wanted...and do check out the ink....and paper......and fill options....and just give in...we are here for you....join us."

I purged myself of online forums a few years ago for my mental and financial health. Yet...here I am.

Nice place you've got here.

I am going to see if I can be a member without becoming obsessed and needing to try all the pens (all the pens).

Wish me luck, and thanks for having me.

-mitch

Edited by feynman

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feynman

• 1nkulus

• mitto

• BlueJ

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Welcome. Just remember this can be like Hotel California :)

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

You have successfully entered a rabbit hole, who knows what it'll yield and where it'll lead.

Enjoy the fascinating journey and feel free to ask/share... thumbup.gif

W2FPN.gif

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Go to some pen shows or join a local pen club, then you can try a lot of pens without having to buy *every* *single* *one*!

Go to some pen shows or join a local pen club, then you can try a lot of pens without having to buy *every* *single* *one*!

+1. If you can plug in with a local group/club, you can try a lot of different pens without spending all of your money.

Best of luck and welcome!

"There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know." - Harry S Truman

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Network! Hopefully it will enhance your hobby, and not cause hand-wringing :) .

"I Didn't Want To Join...i Shouldn't Have Joined..." sounds like my experience with Facebook. I would never, ever have gotten a FB account, but for a family member who refused to communicate any other way, so I was dragged into it. Eventually I took the opportunity to jump through all of the protracted hoops of actually deleting that account.

I think FPN is a lot more innocuous. Just remember that you don't have to buy something just because someone else did, and is excited about it (because it's still new to them).

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Welcome!

It isn't just the pens you have to worry about. It is also all the inks and paper.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I think FPN is a lot more innocuous. Just remember that you don't have to buy something just because someone else did, and is excited about it (because it's still new to them).

It isn't just the pens you have to worry about. It is also all the inks and paper.

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

You've officially fallen down the rabbit hole - but it's a nice rabbit hole with lots of great people willing to help you and answer your questions.

Greetings from Pittsburgh! :W2FPN:

If you've been peeking around, you'll have come to the realization that we are all SHAMELESS enablers here! My personal rabbit hole was the one marked "Vintage Pens".... :blush:

And I agree with Tweel -- this place is a LOT more innocuous than FB. For one thing, we are mostly a friendly bunch going "OOH OOH! Look at what I just got in the mail!" Plus we have active moderators, who will quickly swoop in to squelch any impending flame wars -- taboo topics are politics, religion, and undo bashing of "the ink that shall not be named"....

So have fun, ask questions, and tell us what your particular pen and ink rabbit holes are.

Oh, and this site is HUGE. I generally suggest that new people click on the "View New Content" button when you log in (you can adjust how much/often you get new stuff in the main page sidebar) to see a range of topics in *manageable* chunks -- don't do what I did when I started here, which was to read the Parker Forum. All of it.... 7+ years ago it was 175 PAGES of threads (it's MUCH bigger now.... :huh:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hey Mitch, WELCOME to FPN. :W2FPN: :):)

Did you know that Richard Feynman was also a fountain pen user? Prof Roald Hoffman, also a FPN member( who also is a Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry) told me years ago.

Welcome to the group. Nobody will try and sell you on a pen, ink or paper here. Our discussions are mostly exchanging our own experiences. But, i have to warn you, we are a bunch of pen nuts.