Sheaffer Triumph Nib Unit Thread Size?

Silk_the_Absent1

I'm thinking of turning a modern acrylic pen to use an older Sheaffer Triumph Vac-fill nib unit in. I know it's a multi-start thread, but I don't know the thread size. In the picture, it's the one with the red collar. The one with the clear collar is a single start thread, though I don't know the thread of that one, either.

I want to use the medium (bordering on broad) nib, but I am thinking it may be easier to remove both of them (I'm guessing gentle heat, and I *think* they are threaded), and swap them, and get a single threaded tap, if anyone knows the threading.

Thank you in advance!

-Adam

post-122576-0-25780900-1561696354_thumb.jpg

Edited by Silk_the_Absent1

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• es9

• Hanoi

• Silk_the_Absent1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did some measurements for a 4 start Sheaffer nib unit for a project.

The major diameter is approx 7.6mm, the threads have 4 starts, each start is 10tpi, overall pitch 40 tpi. Taps seem unavailable you will have to cut in manually.

You can make some trial pieces first before using the final material.

HTH

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of turning a modern acrylic pen to use an older Sheaffer Triumph Vac-fill nib unit in. I know it's a multi-start thread, but I don't know the thread size. In the picture, it's the one with the red collar. The one with the clear collar is a single start thread, though I don't know the thread of that one, either.

I want to use the medium (bordering on broad) nib, but I am thinking it may be easier to remove both of them (I'm guessing gentle heat, and I *think* they are threaded), and swap them, and get a single threaded tap, if anyone knows the threading.

Thank you in advance!

-Adam

You need to be very careful before trying to remove either of the nibs from the collar. Some, not all, and I don't know which, of the Triumph nibs are threaded onto their collar, while others have been shrunken at their back end (I don't know the technical term) so that it forms an inward flange and grips the plastic. The ones that unscrew can be screwed back on, but the other type is not threaded and thus can't be screwed onto the threaded type collar. The one with the red collar in your picture appears to be the non-threaded type. Examine the back edge of the nib.

I hope this makes sense.

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

There are two different threads on the nib collar. The black one in your picture is single lead, the red one, from the early Triumph pens (the ones with the short black section) are quad lead. They are not interchangeable. I haven't measured the thread. But you can work it out with a pair of calipers and a thread gauge.

I don't try to remove the nibs themselves any more. As noted, some thread on, the rest are pressed onto a tapered mount, and then the back edge of the nib rolled over to hold them in place. Actually, Sheaffer used 3 or 4 different methods of mounting the nibs and nib collars. If the back edge appears to be rolled over at all, you don't want to mess with it. (says he who has spend ridiculous amounts of time trying to salvage nibs and remount them)

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• 2 years later...

Re-upping this. Does anyone know the thread size of the non-quad lead one? When I measure, I get 5/16-36. Does that sound right? 

I plan to try to make a chaser. 

• 5 months later...

is there anyone out there who managed to make turned versions from ebonite or celluloid that take Sheaffer triumph nibs? I would like to buy such pens if available.