Putting An Esterbrook Nib In A Standard Pen

mab52

Someone asked me about putting an Esterbrook nib 1550 or 9550 in a standard pen. Assuming it's a 5 or 6 size, is that extractable from the little assembly it comes in to be refit? I'm not worried about the assembly, I just don't want to mangle the nib.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mab52

• Bo Bo Olson

• Runnin_Ute

• Honeybadgers

1xxx & 2xxx are rolled steel.......actually smooth. The 9xxx and pretty 3xxx are 'iridium' tipped.

I once had a 8 or 10 Esties, a 1xxx, a few 2xxx and a couple 9xxx.....no 3xxx's, which were on my one time wish list.

I'd not put a 1xxx rolled steel nib on any pen, it was not as good as the later 2xxx rolled steel nib & cost the same, back then.

. I think from my reading back when pens were used all day long, a 1xxx was good for a year before it wore out, and a 2xxx a year and a half. An 'iridium' tipped nib should have then been good for 7 or so years....but that was 8 hour a day, 5 days a week writing. Should last a life time now.

A tipped nib might be worth the trouble.....but Bock, JoWo, are better, the Knox would be cheaper and might be as good......Having just done a tad of reading, Esterbrook nibs look to be better than Knox nibs.

Running Ute from an old post, """I have a 9550 and always thought that yes it was an EF posting nib. One for posting to account books and ledgers. (also called a bookkeeping/accounting nib).""" Was thinner than the 9555 Greg Shorthand nib in the other picture..

That 9550 will be a nail, and narrow................many of my Esterbrook nibs were regular flex and wider, in I didn't care for EF nor nails. They even had a rare semi-flex nib.

There are Japanese nibs as narrow and perhaps as stiff....in case one is looking just for a skinny nail nib.

Back in the day....well about a decade ago, Estie nibs didn't get a lot of love outside of there being so very many different flexes.

Did a quick gander, and find the Eastie nibs are liked more than when I had some Esties.

Someone mentioned that an Estie 9550 is as thin as Japanese.

Last time I looked which was long ago, an Estie nib unit was going for $15.

Why not buy an Estie for $30-35....also an older price. then one wouldn't have to drill a wooden knock out block.

Eastie is a light and nimble pen, and re-filling a sac pen is the fastest by far way to refill a pen.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

removing an estie nib from its housing is not worth the trouble.

Just buy a new #5 nib. Chinese EF moonman m2 nibs are really nice and really cheap.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thank you both. I do magic tricks with Jinhao nibs all the time and normally reach for JoWo if someone wants something nice. My grandfather was a dentist, but I never acquired his skills to do extractions. :)

I believe a Esterbrook nib is smaller than a #5 anyway.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I believe a Esterbrook nib is smaller than a #5 anyway.

Good to know. I was considering tinkering with one just for fun, but if it won't fit a standard pen size, it really is a lost cause. I have ground down some bases on nibs to fit them in .a smaller pen, but too small doesn't fly.

I don't know the size of the Esterbrook nib, but using a Chinese nib as in the Baoer 388 as a reference.

I can put the Chinese nib into a Parker Vacumatic, Duofold Junior and an Esterbrook nib assembly.

Removing the nib from the nib assembly is relatively easy.

Tool-1: hemostat, chopstick with rubber band, or long nose plier. This is to hold the nib assembly so you don't get burned by steam.

Tool-2: HOT water, just below boiling.

Hold the nib with the hemostat and dip the back of the nib assembly into the HOT water.

Hold it there for a couple of minutes. The HOT water will soften the plastic collar so it loosens its grip on the nib.

Hold the SIDE of the nib, wiggle the nib, and see if you can pull it out.

If the nib won't wiggle out, put it back into the hot water for another minute or two. Repeat as necessary.

Note: I do this AFTER I clean the nib assembly in my USC. The USC removes most of the dried ink that could be cementing the nip to the collar and feed.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com