First Estie Repair - Things A Bit Stuck

CraigBo

Hello!

I'm trying my hand at my first estie repair. The nib and section slid out perfectly smoothly, but I'm having issues removing the black part at the end of the barrel (apologies for not knowing the correct terminology). It just will not twist out. I have tried soaking it overnight, have tried running it under hot water for a few minutes, but it won't budge a micron.

Any thoughts on how best to remove this so I can see what is inside the barrel?

Oh I have read through:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/85670-heat-for-section-removalreinsertion-is-there-a-consensus/page-2

And others, but I'm just wondering what else I should be trying here. It feels maybe glued or shellacked or something.

Thank you! I can't seem to embed images so am attaching them to the end of this message. The first image is the bit I can't get off.

Thanks!

post-151619-0-52662100-1561626150_thumb.jpg

post-151619-0-52177200-1561626181_thumb.jpg

Edited by CraigBo

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigBo

• Ron Z

• Brian Anderson

• Gutbucketeer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dry heat only. Hot water is a no-no as it can damage the pen. Use a hair dryer or heat gun on low, making sure to be constantly rotating the section, with the threads the center point on the heat gun. Go a few seconds, then test. If it is so hot your fingers recoil after touching, then it is too hot. Don't be afraid to set it down and try again tomorrow. It has lasted 70 years, it will probably last another day. :)

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

FYI: you (OP) removed the nib/feed unit -- the black plastic you are having trouble with IS the "section".

And I'll be joining you someday -- I need to find my heat-shrink gun to get a section off of an SJ model that needs a new sac. My other heat gun is right out (it starts to strip paint at medium settings).

A soak in plain water often doesn't accomplish anything. A 3 minute cycle or two in an untrasonic with a little ammonia and Dawn dish detergent in the water, often helps to soften any dried ink that may be holding the nib unit in the section. After that, follow Brian's directions.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

One other thing, if you've removed the nib, and the section (the bit you hold on to when writing) is stuck, before you use section pliers to pull it out, put the nib unit back in. Do not try to use tools on an ''empty'' Esterbrook section. Don't ask me how I know this. :gaah: :crybaby:

One other thing, if you've removed the nib, and the section (the bit you hold on to when writing) is stuck, before you use section pliers to pull it out, put the nib unit back in. Do not try to use tools on an ''empty'' Esterbrook section. Don't ask me how I know this. :gaah: :crybaby:

Yup. :yikes: :wallbash:

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Ha. Thanks all! As it happens I do have an ultrasonic cleaner so will give that a try. My wife, bless her, doesnt really use her hairdryer so I will try to find out where she has put it. Ok. Ultrasonic and then hairdryer and I will report back in. Thanks very much everyone! If I come anywhere close to needing section pliers then i will put the nib back in. Roger that. Thanks heaps all!

Edited by CraigBo

Woohoo!

Well as it turns out the ultrasonic cleaner did the trick. After a few goes in that the section popped right out. Ive cleaned everything of some old ink and now it slides in and out snugly but easily. Thanks everyone! Its a lovely feeling to have troubleshooted my first Estie repair issue!

Heres hoping the next one will be so easy :)

post-151619-0-26222900-1561678306_thumb.jpeg

Congratulations You are on your way.

May I suggest if you have liked your experiences so far,why not treat your self a a H,ow to do it, book

there are several in the market place just now, e.g. Frank Dubiels Repair Books available most pen supply outlets as well as

Pen Repair by Jim Marshall & Lawrence Oldfield now in it's Fourth Printing

These is much to learn, some helpful tools and how to use them

Much help ishere on this board as you are finding out, but why nor get a good feel for how the Pro's do it.

Just may save you the price of the book on your Next Repair.

But remember if you break a pen it is usually a good parts pen.

Happy Restorations may be in your future

Tom

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

Yep. I cracked my section tonight because I forgot to put the nib back in. Looking for a new J section. ..... :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: