The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Personal Point Refusing To Come Out Of Section

wahl eversharp gold seal personal point problem removing stuck frozen removing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.X

Dr.X

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:16

Hello friends.

I have a Gold Seal flat top that is refusing to let go of its personal point. I would like to replace the personal point, and have removed the section from the barrel without difficulty.

But the personal point refuses to budge. I have:

-ultrasonically cleaned the section in Koh-I-Noor pen cleaner (several times)

-kept it immersed in clean water for days

-used dry heat

-tried hot water immersion (160 F)

-tried leeching in Pen Potion #7 on several occasions, from the top and the bottom

-immersed the entire section and part of the nib in Potion #7 for 48 hrs.

No love so far.

Do y'all have any suggestions?

NickIMG_2783.JPG IMG_2785.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 Dr.X

Dr.X

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 21:43

Bump

#3 Dr.X

Dr.X

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 13:11

No suggestions?

I read in one post by Wahlnut that there are specialized pliers that hold the nib and feed so the feed does not break in the torquing/unscrewing. I have no such pliers, but it implies that more force than finger force is normally needed. 

I'm thinking of knocking out the nib and feed (carefully), though I am loath to do so because I know the feed becomes a lot more unstable and eacy to damage without the nib/feed in place, plus I have a whole intact personal point unit ready to drop into place.

Edited by Dr.X, 28 June 2019 - 20:33.

#4 Dr.X

Dr.X

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 20:34

No suggestions???

#5 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:27

I just checked my personal-point pens and they unscrew easily. I doubt if there were pliers for regular consumers; they may have been for repair shops when a customer ran into your problem. It seems to me that you've done everything you could but knocking out the nib and feed seems a little drastic. Maybe the pen is ready for a trip to the shop. 

#6 Dr.X

Dr.X

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 22:20

Thank you. I did a lot more than that and still could not get it to unscrew. The best I could get was a few mm turn. 

So I knocked out the nib and feed and easily replaced it with the ones from my other personal point. Good thing, too, since the feed in my replacement PP was shorter. Worked out perfectly!

Blue Wahl 2.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wahl eversharp, gold seal, personal point, problem removing, stuck, frozen, removing

Sponsored Content

|