Looking For Help, Trying To Identify A Waterman's Pen Barrel

shalitha33

I ended up with this barrel which i'm assuming is a waterman 12p? It tapers to the opposite side compared to a normal waterman 12 and has the pattern moving the other direction. Opposite end of the barrel is threaded.

post-144072-0-36123800-1561550204_thumb.jpg

post-144072-0-33386800-1561550210_thumb.jpg

I don't have any other parts of this pen. there is a groove cut on the side of the barrel and nib and feed goes straight in to the barrel (there is no section). If it is a 12p barrel, is it possible to re-construct the missing bits on the pen? how does the piston / pump on these pens constructed ?

Any help trying to ID this is greatly appreciated :)

Edited by shalitha33

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shalitha33

• Marlow

• PaulS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like a pump-filler without the pump!

Edit: here's a link to an RHR one for sale - scroll down a bit and click for more pics

https://www.vintagepens.com/catill_Waterman_2.shtml

and here's a link to one that sold recently

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterman-N-Y-Pump-Filler-BHR-Fountain-Pen-1903-14C-FULL-Flex-Nib-ULTRA-Rare-/323815088357?hash=item4b64e220e5%3Ag%3A9T0AAOSwrW5cr2x-&nma=true&si=O6TA1mp0pErkmNg0Y6aQVIRJjLQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Marlow

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Sadly the bit that defines the model of the pen is missing :(. wouldn't be too difficult to get the end cap made using hard rubber, but the piston is another story :(. No clue how it actually works to start with.I am assuming the pump has some form of a valve to let air out on the down stroke.

Edited by shalitha33

I'm probably as ignorant as the op, but comments about a groove cut in the side of the barrel are baffling me at the moment. I know less than nothing about W. pump fillers, but can't at the moment see the connection between the groove and a pump filler. Does the groove penetrate the wall of the barrel entirely? - if so then wouldn't that make for this one being a non-starter as an e.d.

Could a completely new pump mechanism be made - in BHR ………. hmmm - it's possible but you must find a skilled lathe worker who can thread BHR at least - it's quite a complex piece of kit with a groove in the end of the blind cap. Originally, these things date to the very early part of the C20 - seems there was also a 15P - very rare pens I'd suggest - especially if complete.

I'm probably as ignorant as the op, but comments about a groove cut in the side of the barrel are baffling me at the moment. I know less than nothing about W. pump fillers, but can't at the moment see the connection between the groove and a pump filler. Does the groove penetrate the wall of the barrel entirely? - if so then wouldn't that make for this one being a non-starter as an e.d.

Could a completely new pump mechanism be made - in BHR ………. hmmm - it's possible but you must find a skilled lathe worker who can thread BHR at least - it's quite a complex piece of kit with a groove in the end of the blind cap. Originally, these things date to the very early part of the C20 - seems there was also a 15P - very rare pens I'd suggest - especially if complete.

Grove seems to be only on the surface. there is nothing (that i can see) inside the barrel. Groove is on the opposite side of the barrel to the imprint (in this one) and by looking at the deforming, on the barrel is pointing to the under side of the feed. I guess it could have just happend to point on this pen so it may have nothing to do with it. was thinking there may have been something on the original cap that connects with it. but then again its very unlikely.

In short, Sorry, i have no clue :(

there's a page in the Davis & Lehrer Waterman booklet showing a red-black mottled HR 12P and a gold filigree overlay HR 15P, plus some images of the pump/blind cap mechanism...…………… part of the explanatory caption reads: …. "Unscrew blind cap at the end of the barrel (slotted, so a coin could be used to help)) and pump up and down to fill the pen. Resulted in lots of inky fingers if the user stopped pumping too late"

Looks as though the blind cap is integral to the pump etc., though no idea how they connect or work. I don't get the impression that this is a job for the muppet brigade - looks to be a skilled piece of work required, and you'd need an example to work from, of course.

Grove seems to be only on the surface. there is nothing (that i can see) inside the barrel. Groove is on the opposite side of the barrel to the imprint (in this one) and by looking at the deforming, on the barrel is pointing to the under side of the feed. I guess it could have just happend to point on this pen so it may have nothing to do with it. was thinking there may have been something on the original cap that connects with it. but then again its very unlikely.

In short, Sorry, i have no clue :(

From the description in the 2nd link I sent you: "These unique barrels also have a groove cut into them where the cap fits onto the barrel. This prevents air pressure difference inside the cap which helps prevent leaks and also helps with ease of cap removal as they can be too tight otherwise."

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder