Peter Pauper Press Universal Journal

I have been looking for a suitable book do start my commonplace book in, and after some searching and thinking I decided to choose the Peter Pauper Press Universe Journal. I was attracted not only by the cover, but also the mention of "archival paper" being used in it.

I received the book today, and seeing the general lack of information on Peter Pauper Press products in comparison to Rhodia, Clairfontaine, Tomoe River etc, I have decide to do a bit of an overview.

The cover itself is supposed to replicate the the binding of The Universe: or The Infinitely Great and the Infinitely Little, which was a layperson's encyclopaedia of the sciences by the Frenchman Félix-Archimède Pouchet, and was published in London in 1870. Compared to the picture from archive.org, it appears that the modern cover is relatively faithful to the original:

post-149387-0-31849800-1561549277_thumb.jpg

post-149387-0-27318400-1561550208_thumb.jpg

However, the size of the modern adaption is different, coming up to around 162x218mm, or 6 3/8 x 8 1/2 inches.

The paper itself is relatively smooth, and is 100gsm. If you want an idea of what it feels like, think Clairefontaine 90gsm ivory brushed vellum paper, but with a little bit more texture. In addition, the paper is supposedly acid-free and archival. I say "supposedly" because these words do not technically have concrete, standard definitions.

An interesting feature is the gold edges of the book:

post-149387-0-66026200-1561550547_thumb.jpg

In addition the lines in the journal are relatively faint, at least compared to the lines in a Rhodia Webbie. They're not solid, but instead are dotted. I like this feature as it provides a guideline without being too distracting.

post-149387-0-22224800-1561550687_thumb.jpg

The book claims to lie flat. Unless you are an extreme perfectionist, this statement is true. Yes, you will get some bulge, but that is to be expected. It lies flat enough for me.

post-149387-0-15685000-1561551357_thumb.jpg

I have not gotten around to writing in it yet, as I am currently waiting on some ink (Rohrer & Klingner Zeichentusche Sepia) which I aim to use exclusively in this book, so I will post a writing sample when I have to opportunity to do some writing in it.

Edited by Lunoxmos

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhguda

• Arcadian

• Lunoxmos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations on a fine new book! Enjoy.

I have used a number of Peter Pauper journals through the years, and in general I like them. The paper has always been very good with my pens, and I regret very much that they are not so easily obtainable here anymore. They were a relatively inexpensive, attractive option that I could go to a local book/office supply store and buy. Alas, no longer...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

That's gorgeous! I wish they made the book bound journals in pocket format - perhaps slightly larger than the regular pocket format, but smaller than the one you have. That, I think, would be the perfect notebook for me!

- P.