The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Safari Pen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 seanruss

seanruss

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:21

Hi all, 

I have a beautiful black Esterbrook Safari pen I thought I'd try for something different.  Has anyone tried one of these?  This one came with an old Esterbrook empty cartridge.  I cleaned out the cartridge thoroughly and rinsed out the section and nib very well.  The issue I'm having is that it flows terrible.  I can write a sentence then tap-tap-tap to start it again.  Write another sentence or two then tap-tap-tap to get it going again.  Even after several pages it doesn't improve any.  Any ideas on what else to do?  

Thanks

Sponsored Content

#2 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 19:00

sounds like old, dried gunk getting in the way. Soak the nib unit in water with a little bit of ammonia and very mild dish soap. Run it in this solution in a ultrasonic cleaner, if you have one, or just let it soak for a day or two. 

See if that helps. You can also search for the 1,001 ways to clean dried ink out of your fountain pen. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#3 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2019 - 20:36

Good advice  above

I

n addition  try to get hold of a rubber squeeze bulb to help pressure clean  the  nib and feed

needless to say a space nib unit will help you determine if your nib is fully opened.

AT this point doe not take the nib, section and feed aparts  as you will be challanged to get them together again

Good Luck

TJ

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

Sponsored Content

|