The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Problem With Aurora 88P

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LibertyPrime

LibertyPrime

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 21:05

Hi there! I am here again to ask for your help. A couple of days ago I received my first vintage pen, an Aurora 88P with a fine nib, which writes beautifully and is quite smooth. When I first opened the package and uncapped the pen, I noticed there were some drops (like moisture) towards the tip. I didn't think it was important and everything else seemed in order. I filled the pen and tested it, wrote without issues. A couple of hours later I uncapped it and there was this moisture again, some drops of ink around the tip (I don't know how to call the process, would it be "condensation"?). The same thing happened several times, every time I uncapped the pen, there were these little drops of ink. A couple of days ago I was writing and the pen literally spat ink on the paper. It happened repeatedly so I've started to put it aside. I noticed the ink came from behind the nib (there's a space there) which is constantly wet, very wet. Is the pen missing some parts or something might be broken? I'll post some pictures here. I apologize for my lack of technical language, I'm new to the hobby and english is not my first language. Thanks

LQw3Zt0.png

vI21ArV.png

vciDCU6.png

Sponsored Content

#2 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 22:34

Replace the seal. You have air leaking past the current one, slowly. Uncapping drags a few more ink drops.

There are instructions about the place here. Basically, unscrew the section, eject the piston (a little prising may be needed after it is unscrewed), replace the three central washers with an o-ring (ID 4.0 CS 2.25), add a tiny bit of pure silicone grease to the o-ring and to the piston spindle, reassemble and you are good to go for years.

I have omitted elaborations of cleaning while it is apart. A competent pen mechanic will do all the above for you in no time. The pen is well worth it. :thumbup:

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#3 LibertyPrime

LibertyPrime

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:53

Replace the seal. You have air leaking past the current one, slowly. Uncapping drags a few more ink drops.

There are instructions about the place here. Basically, unscrew the section, eject the piston (a little prising may be needed after it is unscrewed), replace the three central washers with an o-ring (ID 4.0 CS 2.25), add a tiny bit of pure silicone grease to the o-ring and to the piston spindle, reassemble and you are good to go for years.

I have omitted elaborations of cleaning while it is apart. A competent pen mechanic will do all the above for you in no time. The pen is well worth it. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot. I really like the pen, it's an excellent writer

#4 BamaPen

BamaPen

Learning from y'all

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2019 - 21:44

I realize that you may not want to do the repair yourself, but it may be interesting to you to see how one was repaired for me. The person who repaired my 88k took pictures at every step of the way and added written descriptions as well. You can see the entire process in a post on my site. Here's the link:

https://cigarboxpens.../my-aurora-88k/

#5 praxim

praxim

On twig

• 4,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2019 - 23:02

Those photographs give an excellent overview. However, it should not be necessary to open the piston at the back merely to replace the seal. I have also found that a single o-ring between the two outer old washers seals very well without too much friction.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#6 BamaPen

BamaPen

Learning from y'all

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:17

Those photographs give an excellent overview. However, it should not be necessary to open the piston at the back merely to replace the seal. I have also found that a single o-ring between the two outer old washers seals very well without too much friction.

I agree that the seal can be replaced without opening the back end, but in the case of my pen, there was an issue that required careful handling and he felt that removing the piston completely was the safer route. I only offered the OP the link so that he could see the insides in all their detail.

By the way, I think that the correct O-rings are available from David Nishimura online.

Edited by BamaPen, 27 June 2019 - 01:18.

#7 praxim

praxim

On twig

• 4,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:48

No contention from me. :) As I wrote, an excellent overview. Yes, the o-rings can be hard to find, and expensive if buying from overseas.

#8 LibertyPrime

LibertyPrime

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 23:15

Thanks to both of you. I'll try to find someone near to help me solve the problem, otherwise I may have to do it myself

Sponsored Content

|