Would There Be Interest For A "what's In The Mail?" Thread?

MuddyWaters

I feel like the available quantity of affordable and interesting Chinese fountain pens is increasing, to the point that it is not unfeasible to have a few chinese pens on the way. It would be nice to have a place to discuss what we have purchased and why. If there is any other thread, please link me and I will bump it. Or this thread could be renamed by moderators if they just want to use this one.

Currently, I am waiting for:

1) Moonman M600S. I can't wait to have a duofold centennial sized pen, with a non-german nib #6 in size.

2) Generic transparent triangular pen: for all the time that I wanted to have an omas 360 copy to try the ergonomics of it (only $5)

3) Wing Sung 618 - this was a bit of a throw back to last year when WS was the best company, and I had purchased 698 and 601. I realize that having a big ink capacity is really useful for work, so I am hoping this pen is less back heavy than the 601 and has threads less sharp than the 698.

Considering:

1) Hero 100 - I read an interesting post that stated that the 618 was still back-heavy, and that the poster still preferred his Hero 616. I agree that the Hero 616 is a comfortable pen (so is the 565), so the 100 may be a nice upgrade, but I am not sure.

2) Vaccum pens (WS/penbbs) - I will actually wait until seeing reviews. A lot of vaccuum pens have thin sections and are back-heavy, plus the prices are not as low as I expected them to be.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuddyWaters

• Mech-for-i

• Stefan-Ionut-Marius

• Ardakilic

I'm currently waiting for:

1) Wing Sung 698 - I owned a clone one, and liked it a lot, but never liked the Lamy style grip on clones, so decided to buy one. Also love the Pilot style nibs.

2) Jinhao 51a - I've only heard good stuff about this pen. Bought two, one with green clear plastic, other matte black plastic. If I liked the feel of the pen, I'm planning to buy wooden ones.

3) Baoer 508 - The current reviews and the Aliexpress sale made me want to try this pen. Got the wine red one.

I hope you like the 698, it is a very solid pen and really versatile with the possibility of putting in a pilot nib.

The jinhao 51 has a decent nib but imo its fatal flaw for me was the balance (the wood body is much lighter than the nib and section and thus the pen is not well balanced in the hand, for me at least)

This is a thread that is reborn most every year and i think it is what you are looking for:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/342395-what-pen-are-you-waiting-for-2019/

Thanks for the link. That's actually what I remembered and got the inspiration from. However I was wondering if we could have a Chinese section specific one, so that we don't have to hear about Pelikans and MBs :P

Thanks for the link. That's actually what I remembered and got the inspiration from. However I was wondering if we could have a Chinese section specific one, so that we don't have to hear about Pelikans and MBs :P

I say go for it and create one. I bet people will be happy to respond. I just politely suggest making sure it is region or country specific in the thread name as some people will otherwise just post about German pens. :^)

My favorites are when people go tot he Pelikan forum and into the "latest additions to the flock" and write about their new Cross pens or Stipula or what have you. Makes me laugh every time.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I'm currently waiting on two pens:

1. The new Wing Sung vac filler (3013) from Bobby. In clear EF. I just couldn't wait. I've really enjoyed the recent Wing Sung pens that have come out and I'm hoping this one will be just as good. And for just $8, it doesn't break the bank.
  2. Wing Sung 233 - I have another one of these and they're my EDC. I really like the Sheaffer nib for writing and they look classy. But they're inexpensive and I don't worry about abusing them.
Edited by NighthawkSix

I have added two pens to the list:

-Delike New Moon 3 - metal construction, very cheap. I realize this is a small pen now and maybe that is not a hopeful prospect but what the hell

-Wing Sung 613 - I did not know about this pen until today. Made by same company as 601 but c/c fill. I am not a fan of c/c but it will definitely be less back-heavy than 601. This pen can be compared with 618 as well.

I have 4 WS 613. They really are not in the same league as the WS601 or 618, and have a unique (and not great) c/c. I use them, but was not devastated when I thought I had lost one. Would have been if it had been a 601.

Regards,

Richard.

I have 4 WS 613. They really are not in the same league as the WS601 or 618, and have a unique (and not great) c/c. I use them, but was not devastated when I thought I had lost one. Would have been if it had been a 601.

Regards,

Richard.

Indeed, it is mostly to try it out and see if it is a little better than the hero 616. For me the 601 is too back heavy to be comfortable so I am trying different options. Looking forward to report back.

I'm currently waiting for :

1) JinHao 995 Swan in Black , hooded nib version ( It's a nice pen and i want to compare it with the Pilot Plumix i got recently 2 in black with medium nib's one of the plumix it's a normal size and the other it's smaller like a pocket pen ) ,

2) Wing Sung 500 (NOS) full stainless steel version ,

3) Hero 616 Jumbo from the 90's (steel cap) ( 1991) ,

4) Hero 616 Jumbo from the 90's (golden steel cap) ( 1997) ,

5) Hero 110 (12K gold Nib ) (2002) .

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Just ordered a Wing Sung 3013 - the new low-cost vacuum filler.

I already have a PenBBS 456 and the new PenBBS 268 (which I REALLY like) so it’s not like I need another vacuum filler. But for around £6 I couldn’t resist.

It will be interesting to compare the three.

Also in the mail :

1) Jinhao 51 A Acrylic (Autum) ,

2) Wing Sung 601 (2019) double jewel version with ink window (Dark Blue ) ,

3) Wing Sung 601 (2019) double jewel solid version (Dark Blue ) ,

4) Wing Sung 3013 Vacuum filer ( Purple ) ,

5) Hero 616 Plus (2019) (The Wandering Earth ) ,

6) PenBBS 456 - 16 SF ( Transparent Clear ) .

Ionut - Marius

What's the hero 616 "plus" special for?

I see you like your 601s :P what will you do with all of them?

And what's the difference between hero 110 and 100?

Generally is there a difference between the hero 100s of different decades?

What's the hero 616 "plus" special for?

I see you like your 601s :P what will you do with all of them?

And what's the difference between hero 110 and 100?

Generally is there a difference between the hero 100s of different decades?

Well Hero 616 Plus was made in 2018 it's the new version of Hero 616 it's no longer have the old aerometric filling system the Hero 616 + has a modern C/C sistem it's also made of ABS Plastic instead of ordinary plastic like the older versions of Hero 616 , they also modified the feed inside te hood .

I don't know :) but i have all the versions made until now including also the initially made WS 601 with vacuumatic filling system based on rubber diaphragm :) .

Well Hero 110 it's like a Hero 616 with a gold nib (12 K ) and double jewels (on the cap and on the barrel )and the hero 100 it's looks more like a Parker 61 without the arrow on the hood :) also the Hero 100 has a 14 K gold nib .

The only difference between the hero 100s of different decades it's in the materials used on different times and there are some difference in term of build quality over the years .

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius

Ionut - Marius

• 2 weeks later...

The wing sung 618 is an impressive pen. The balance in the hand is better than that of the 601. The nib that came with mine writes well and smooth. The piston is smooth.

The only qualm I have and is personal, simply the pen is a little thin for my hand. Otherwise it is an awesome bargain pen.

This is influencing the growth of one of my suspicions: vacuum and vacuuumatic filler pens coming out are just banking on fashion and trends. There is really no advantage that is provided over a piston, especially when one considers ease of cleaning the barrel. So enjoy your back-heavy vac 700r's, 601s, 3013s.. I will stick with 3008, and consider getting a 580 :P

Edit: the clear triangular pen offered by Bobby is quite good as well. The pen is thick and bulky, which adds to comfort but also reduces maneuverability. Another qualm is that the converter seems to be special for it, and is quite small. Unfortunately the pen is not eye dropper-able due to holes in the end of the barrel. The nib has a pilot varsity style and writes not amazing but without too much problem.

Edit2: I also think the 698 is a great pen but I find the threads too sharp. If it were not for that, I would probably a good mobbed version. The 618s threads seem a bit better and the pen can be held in ways to avoid rubbing.

Edited by MuddyWaters

This is influencing the growth of one of my suspicions: vacuum and vacuuumatic filler pens coming out are just banking on fashion and trends. There is really no advantage that is provided over a piston, especially when one considers ease of cleaning the barrel. So enjoy your back-heavy vac 700r's, 601s, 3013s.. I will stick with 3008, and consider getting a 580

Infact since the original Pelikan that had always been the case ; I use my 601 without capping so I really do not find it back heavy ; in term of cleaning there is no denying piston like the PenBBS 309 or WS 698 really made a case for user friendly design. I wonder when will someone come up with a piston variant of the Hero 616 plus ( which use sealed in single piece feed / ink buffer ) .. that would made cleaning even easier. Really I think Hero should consider putting the Vac Piston Pump or the piston onto the Hero 616 plus ( with proper modification ) but retain the original profile. Personally I prefer the 601 over the 618 simply because the smooth profile it presented to me when holding the pen, I still had 4 of the original diaphragm version of the 601 and I dare even not to ink them up now .. :) .. lol ...

Engineering wise they all had some point of weakness but can be deal with

about to arrive is my order of 4 Moonman 80S , 2 of which I would be gifting to a friend's kids and 2 of them will get into my reserve bin

Just ordered a PenBBS 494 - A clone of Pilot 78g with piston filler.

Current waiting lise:

• PenBBS 494
  • Baoer 508
  • Jinhao 51a