The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Should I Be Cross...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lomax512

lomax512

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:21

Hello there

As a complete novice I have just bought a pen and now I don't know if I have been scammed, I don't think I have as the Pen was advertised as a Cross Century II but has BG on the clip, was this owned by Barry Gibb lol

Writes nicely for the little ink it has left and what do you think for £17....

And what refills would it take I need to start writing, preferably in black.

Thanks for any info :)

Attached Images

• 0001.jpg
  • 0002.jpg
  • 0003.jpg
  • 0004.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 13:21

looks to be a good pen - I've seen personalized attachments on some of these Cross f.ps. before  -  seems to be a not uncommon habit - and I'd suggest good value for the money paid.

It seems Cross still do their own cartridges  - little shortie jobs that have a staggered shoulder appearance which gives them the look of an extended telescope appearance - half a dozen in a small carton, and quite cheap. 

I'd suggest the short Waterman cartridges will also fit, and it could be that your barrel will take two of each of these brands - but you must remember to insert the lower cartridge 'thin end down', otherwise the lower one will jam.             

Sheaffer Skrip cartridges may not fit  -  too thick possibly, and don't know if a standard length Parker cartridge will fit.

#3 lomax512

lomax512

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 13:34

looks to be a good pen - I've seen personalized attachments on some of these Cross f.ps. before  -  seems to be a not uncommon habit - and I'd suggest good value for the money paid.

It seems Cross still do their own cartridges  - little shortie jobs that have a staggered shoulder appearance which gives them the look of an extended telescope appearance - half a dozen in a small carton, and quite cheap. 

I'd suggest the short Waterman cartridges will also fit, and it could be that your barrel will take two of each of these brands - but you must remember to insert the lower cartridge 'thin end down', otherwise the lower one will jam.             

Sheaffer Skrip cartridges may not fit  -  too thick possibly, and don't know if a standard length Parker cartridge will fit.

Hi

Thanks for all the info and yeah I do have the old cartridge that is stubby and looks like a scope, can the personalized clip thingy be removed at all? Not a great fan but I wonder if it's just held on with glue etc maybe epoxy resin. (yes it can a gentle twist with some pliers and off popped the GB thing)

Also how do I keep the nib moist etc if I run out of ink etc

Cheers

Edited by lomax512, 24 June 2019 - 13:37.

#4 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 14:25

Normal cartridge

https://www.cultpens...-ink-cartridges

Slim cartridge

https://www.cultpens...-ink-cartridges

Give it a good flush with water or soak it in nib cleaning solution if the ink has caked/dried, prior to first use.

Do the same when changing inks in the pen.

Keep the pen capped and use it often.

When you do run out of ink, replace the cartridge with the same colour.

If not intending to use it, flush it and leave it to air dry prior to storing it.

If you want to use different inks, get a converter.

https://www.cultpens...ew-in-converter

Diamine inks are a good start with a plethora of colours.

https://www.cultpens...ink-30ml-bottle

As you progress, there are plenty of ink brands to explore.

https://www.cultpens...ountain-pen-ink

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#5 lomax512

lomax512

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 21:24

Thank you so much for that information 1nkulus and everyone else, I will mention you all in my first novel 😉

#6 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 22:11

Waterman cartridges will not fit. 

Cross made a lot of corporate and promotional pens. They were handed out for employee of the month & so on.

Our local McDonalds stil hands out Cross biros to their Employee of the Month. So, the Bg is probably a corporate logo - British gas maybe?

For £17 you certainly were not scammed.  

Cross cartridges are rather expensive - so a convertor will save you lots of cash - and actually the Cross convertors work better than most brands. I've had fewer inkflow problems with them than other brands.

If there is a problem with it, it has a lifetime guarantee - so you can send it to Cross's UK representative and they'll try and fix it for free -you'll have to pay the postage, but that's it.

They are not the most exciting pens out there, but they are reliable writers, that will do the job they are intended with no fuss.  

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:14

I'm not familiar with that model, but I have a couple of Cross Solo pens and have found them to be smooth writers.  The first one (red with black trim and an F nib) I bought mostly because it came from the estate of a friend, and someone gave me a heads up about it.  That one was marked as made in Japan (I believe that the model was made by Pilot, from what I've read).  The nib is a nail, but a solid writer.  The other one I picked up last fall at the OPS, and is a bright blue, with black trim and a B nib (I kept walking past the seller's table -- about where the hallway turns the corner for those who have been to the show -- and then Sunday morning when I saw the seller only had the one left, I knew I'd be kicking myself if I didn't get it).  Turned out that it was even a better deal than I realized, because there was already a converter installed....  :D.

I also have a Cross Verve.  It's an odd pen, and I haven't figured out whether I like it or not (the design of the nib and feed makes it really easy to get ink all over your hands -- which maybe is why it was only on the marker for a couple of years).  OTOH, I found it in a thrift store for a buck  :rolleyes: so I can't really complain (I just need to learn to hold it further up the section from what I'm used to...).  And apparently it's worth a LOT more than I paid for it.  Go figure....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 21:25

Waterman cartridges will not fit. 

Cross made a lot of corporate and promotional pens. They were handed out for employee of the month & so on.

Our local McDonalds stil hands out Cross biros to their Employee of the Month. So, the Bg is probably a corporate logo - British gas maybe?

For £17 you certainly were not scammed.  

Cross cartridges are rather expensive - so a convertor will save you lots of cash - and actually the Cross convertors work better than most brands. I've had fewer inkflow problems with them than other brands.

If there is a problem with it, it has a lifetime guarantee - so you can send it to Cross's UK representative and they'll try and fix it for free -you'll have to pay the postage, but that's it.

They are not the most exciting pens out there, but they are reliable writers, that will do the job they are intended with no fuss.  

+1

Definitely a pen made fo r some company

very good deal - GBP 17 for a  "Cross Century II Medalist" with a Gold Plated Medium nib - thats the name of your beauty

converter and bottled ink adds pleasure to the fountain pen excperience  - cerftianly recommended.

the converter should be a screw on one (usually comes in yellow / orange colour)

green push in converter wont work on your pen

Edited by jslallar, 25 June 2019 - 21:28.

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

Sponsored Content

|