A Night In Jodhpur - A Teal Blue Sheen Exclusive

NickiStew

That picture of Jodhpur is striking! Although it also seems to have nothing whatsoever to do with the colour they chose the ink to be :lol:

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• mehandiratta

• Enkida

• NickiStew

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That picture of Jodhpur is striking! Although it also seems to have nothing whatsoever to do with the colour they chose the ink to be laugh.png

+1

Exotic-ish name, the fact it is referred to as 'Blue City' and a large concentration of elephants in India, are probably the only reasons.

Hopefully, I can procure a sample soon.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

That picture of Jodhpur is striking! Although it also seems to have nothing whatsoever to do with the colour they chose the ink to be :lol:

Two things come to mind:

This is true, but I have had an epiphany while seeing recent Sailor Ink Studio reviews. Ink names (like names of paints or any other colors) seem to be chosen to evoke memories or emotions. I used to think that was dumb, but after seeing reviews of Sailor's Ink Studio inks where the "name" is just a number I realized that I much prefer a name even if the name doesn't match the color. Herbin's "Emeraude de Chivor" doesn't need to look like any emerald that I have ever seen for me to remember the ink. But "Sailor 123"...I have seen reviews of that just this week and yet I have no recollection of what color it is (red? blue? I'd have to google it).

Also, I love looking at Nick Stewarts ink samples: they are gorgeous and always make me want to open my wallet. But they're also like a car commercial with professional driver on a closed track: they might make me drool over the car, but I know that my experience behind the wheel will not be that.

Curiously, the label he shows on the ink bottle is much closer to the pictures that mehandiratta posted. :)

Thank you for the insight, I stand corrected. smile.png

The walls are definitely whitewashed rather than painted.

I was aware of Jaipur being the 'Pink City'.

IMO, Jaipur is definitely more pink than Jodhpur is blue.

Yes whitewashed.... but you understood the context

Jaipur authority right now is more focused on heritage preservation and is more funded than Jodhpur Authorities.... Soon there will be some norms to old part of Jodhpur also...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

+1

Exotic-ish name, the fact it is referred to as 'Blue City' and a large concentration of elephants in India, are probably the only reasons.

Hopefully, I can procure a sample soon.

ha ha ha ha... Exotic-ish

ask me

vaibhav mehandiratta

thanks.... and i agree on naming part too

Great images of Jodhpur -thank-you

thanks

but i must confess all are from Internet

vaibhav mehandiratta

Two things come to mind:

This is true, but I have had an epiphany while seeing recent Sailor Ink Studio reviews. Ink names (like names of paints or any other colors) seem to be chosen to evoke memories or emotions. I used to think that was dumb, but after seeing reviews of Sailor's Ink Studio inks where the "name" is just a number I realized that I much prefer a name even if the name doesn't match the color. Herbin's "Emeraude de Chivor" doesn't need to look like any emerald that I have ever seen for me to remember the ink. But "Sailor 123"...I have seen reviews of that just this week and yet I have no recollection of what color it is (red? blue? I'd have to google it).

Also, I love looking at Nick Stewarts ink samples: they are gorgeous and always make me want to open my wallet. But they're also like a car commercial with professional driver on a closed track: they might make me drool over the car, but I know that my experience behind the wheel will not be that.

Curiously, the label he shows on the ink bottle is much closer to the pictures that mehandiratta posted. :)

I agree... that its easy to recall the ink... if it is given name rather than no.

vaibhav mehandiratta

So much truth right here! I am really torn on this ink. Nick Stewart makes me want to buy All The Things, but I am not Nick Stewart, haha.

Also, I have an 80mL bottle of Skull and Roses AND Aurora Borealis, so I'm not entirely certain such a purchase can be justified by anything other than fancy. But I also have a need to get a 30mL bottle of Diamine ink as a present, and a store credit at Papier und Stift, and that 30€ free shipping minimum... I don't fancy paying more for the shipping than the bottle of Diamine ink otherwise. I would be really, really interested to see someone comparing Skull & Roses and Night in Jodhpur.

Edit: Actually, and of Smoke on the Water, which I also have! Oh man I am talking myself right out of this ink, ugh. From the NStew swatches it looks like Smoke on the Water is the same colour, just with significantly more sheen.... urks.

Look at what you've done to me, Fountain Pen Network! *looks for space in ink drawer*

Edited by Enkida

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Jaipur authority right now is more focused on heritage preservation and is more funded than Jodhpur Authorities.... Soon there will be some norms to old part of Jodhpur also...

Jaipur being the state capital would be a higher priority but I am glad Jodhpur norms are in the pipeline. They are the two largest cities in the state.

Isn't Udaipur termed 'White City' because of the palace in the lake?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

ha ha ha ha... Exotic-ish

ask me

It would be exotic to a lot of people who have not read about India or visited it.

Hence, I said exotic-ish. biggrin.png

OTOH, it would be equally exotic if it was called 'A Night in Samarkand'.

Engineer :

I decided to pick up a bottle of this thread because I saw a German review of it. It does indeed seem to write closer to Skull and Roses (a blue) than Smoke on the Water (a teal), but what struck me about the images from the other review is that the shading appears to be pretty extreme in a more wet nib, going almost into a cerulean blue. Also, it doesn't seem to get quite as dark as Skull and Roses either, which definitely goes more towards navy territory.

For those interested in that German review (it's in German though) it's here; if you scroll down from the initial post, there are better quality scans further below. Also, if you can read a little German, the title is misleading, the ink is not actually "limited" it's simply an exclusive to Papier & Stift ink. It will only be limited if not enough people have an interest to sell out the first batch they produced, something which I highly doubt considering the interest it's raised on the English language forum here. :)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

My bottle arrived today! Of course I inked it up within minutes of opening the package because who can resist trying to figure out what colour this mystery ink is?

Well I figured it out, folks. It's a chameleon, that's why it's hard to pin down this ink colour. Absolutes:

- it's lighter and has more green in it that Skull and Roses

- it's not anywhere close to being the teal of Smoke on the Water

- it's significantly more green than Diamine Asa Blue on Oxford Optik

- it's significantly more navy than Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue on Tomoe River

In other words, this ink will lean teal or navy depending on the type of paper you write on - a chameleon. It has a pronounced red sheen on Tomoe River and a visible red sheen and shading on Oxford Optik.

It's nowhere near Monteverde Capri Blue, the only other ink in "the range" I have inked up at the moment.

And it still has nothing to do with the beautiful blue of the buildings in Jodhpur. :P

I'll try to take some pics of this later, but... potato camera!

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

File under "what colour is it anyway" : page with Blackstone Barrier Reef is Tomoe River, the other small sheet is Oxford Optik. Taken at high noonish on a very sunny day. Further observation: for all of the 20 minutes that I've had this in my pen so far it seems to be a very wet ink and might benefit more from a drier writer or a broader nib, at least in the shading department. Someone else can try to define this colour as blue or teal or cerulean or azure or navy or something. All I can say is that this is not my version of "light" sheen on either paper (not that I mind!), and that I am quite amazed that a heavy sheener like this can show so much shading still.

night-in-jodhpur1.jpg
night-in-jodhpur2.jpg
night-in-jodhpur3.jpg
night-in-jodhpur4.jpg

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

My bottle arrived today! Of course I inked it up within minutes of opening the package because who can resist trying to figure out what colour this mystery ink is?

Well I figured it out, folks. It's a chameleon, that's why it's hard to pin down this ink colour. Absolutes:

- it's lighter and has more green in it that Skull and Roses

- it's not anywhere close to being the teal of Smoke on the Water

- it's significantly more green than Diamine Asa Blue on Oxford Optik

- it's significantly more navy than Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue on Tomoe River

In other words, this ink will lean teal or navy depending on the type of paper you write on - a chameleon. It has a pronounced red sheen on Tomoe River and a visible red sheen and shading on Oxford Optik.

It's nowhere near Monteverde Capri Blue, the only other ink in "the range" I have inked up at the moment.

And it still has nothing to do with the beautiful blue of the buildings in Jodhpur. tongue.png

I'll try to take some pics of this later, but... potato camera!

Excellent review, a chameleon indeed albeit an interesting one. wink.png Glad you are enjoying it.

Engineer :

• 1 year later...

A Night in Jodhpur is very, very, very saturated.

Unlike other inks from Diamine this one feels quite oily and writes smooth even with extra fine nibs.
The color is as advertised: a deep blue with a twist. It looks common at first sight, but not quite :)

It shows very well on quality paper(e.g. Midori), where it has time to dry on top of the paper. Sharp and crisp lines with a discrete color shift, just enough to catch the eye, without beeing overwhelming.

On cheap paper is shows greenish and there is quite a bit feathering. On standard printer paper, 80g/m2 it gets absorbed a bit too much and it lacks the vibrant color change.

The only drawback I can see is the low resistance to water. If your hand is not perfectly dry, you will smudge your writing :(
I seldom smudged washable inks from Waterman, Parker or Pelikan, but with A Night in Jodhpur I have a smudge every other page and my fingers are green 🤪

Maybe I am biased from years of using document inks that are more stable than the paper they are written on...

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from the fact that Anja Gebler, of Papier und Stift, is absolutely genial, kind and sweet, and knows her inks, this ink is spectacular. The name reminds me of fabric combinations I saw in the open market in India, but more importantly, the color pops off the page, and the sheen is everywhere. Mountain of Ink did not classify it is a "monster sheener" but I do. The underlying color is bluer than EoC, which is good for me. I find that the greener teals lay unused. This is more like a dark Turquoise. Very well-behaved.

Since I probably will not be able to find the Pen Gallery exclusive, I'm quite happy to have this treasure in my rotation.

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...