No-Nonsence: Seeking Info

k3eax

Hi all, I was given a black and well used Sheafer No-Nonsence. I'm rather curious as to its original selllling price and during which years the pen was maketed.

I must say, the pen is a rather nice writer and it has become my everyday carry.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• Tweel

• Sailor Kenshin

• Barry Gabay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks to Mr. Jim Mamoulides' site PEN HERO.COM,

I was able to confirm my 50+ year old memory of first purchase & guessed $2.00.

According to the site (8-29-03, with later updates)

"Originally offered in hang card blister packs for $1.98 with 2 cartridges."

I also remember the cartridges were perhaps 49 cents for 5 & therefore the pen was relatively inexpensive compared to the cartridges required to maintain it. I remember them in most drugstores where we would find ourselves after school & easily purchase a new model when it was available or merely try a new color of ink.

Depends what vintage. Some sold for as little as two dollars; other, later editions, as much as ten.

Pics would help!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Many of these were sold as calligraphy sets with extra nibs of various widths and it's pretty easy to find other nibs. Sheaffer still markets a similar pen called something like "inkview" but I don't know if the nibs will fit the older pens.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Many of these were sold as calligraphy sets with extra nibs of various widths and it's pretty easy to find other nibs. Sheaffer still markets a similar pen called something like "inkview" but I don't know if the nibs will fit the older pens.

The section's quite different on the new onew, with a cushioned grip, so I don't know if you can do the old NN section swap.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I think the Viewpoint nib + feed is smaller in diameter than the original.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

The older calligraphy sets (in solid colors) were NoNonsense pens. I think the first "Viewpoint" versions may have been NoNonsense "demonstrator" (transparent colors) and were then replaced by some German made model with a completely different section design.

The Balance II and Connaisseur (and hence Levenger Seas) sections are compatible with NoNonsense.

quite a nice pen, I have a couple of the later transparent ones, the nibs are stiff but work very well.

(so many different colours were made that some people have huge collections!)

fpn_1561412322__p1160555-3_sheaffer_non-

PeytonStreetPens has Fine, Medium, & Broad nibs for $12,

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I paid $1.98 for a blue or tan one in bubble pack with 2 Skrip cartridges in 1974. I still have a couple of those original dark blue No Nonsense fountain pens. They were at the time, the world's most reliable student-grade fountain pen.

I paid $1.98 for a blue or tan one in bubble pack with 2 Skrip cartridges in 1974. I still have a couple of those original dark blue No Nonsense fountain pens. They were at the time, the world's most reliable student-grade fountain pen.

You too? I bought a tan one at Jamesway on my way to my freshman year of college in August 1974, and refilled the cartridge with a syringe for years. It didn't take any time at all to figure out that was cheaper than replacement cartridges. I still have the pen 45 years later, though I did replace the nib because it had a huge flat spot.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I bought one a long time ago for drawing. My wife has it now.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

After Ron's recent post, I hunted and discovered that I still have 3 of the original dark blue NN fountain pens and one of the tan ones. Those first-generation NN were truly great writers with their ebonite feeds, steel nibs, and screw-in plastic sections. The second-generation plastic feeds are just as reliable, and are the same feeds found in the later, high end Connaisseur, Grande Connaisseur, and Nostalgia fountain pens. The NN even accepted the squeeze Sheaffer converters in use at the time. Over the years, I have continued to use them on a regular basis, always keeping 1 or 2 filled in the pen cup on my desk. The View Point & Vintage versions have all of the features of the second generation. Photo which demonstrates that some of us just can't say, "No."

post-16233-0-10321100-1561732323_thumb.jpg

The jeweler who made our wedding rings* has one of those blue NNs. I think he said he bought it in the early 80s, as far as I can see it's the only pen he uses, and although it looks like it's been through a rock tumbler, it just keeps plugging along.

* How nerdy is this: I chose 14K yellow gold for our rings specifically as an homage to fountain pens! If I could have had them made from actual "Sheaffer gold" I would have loved it.

Edited by Tweel

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

* How nerdy is this: I chose 14K yellow gold for our rings specifically as an homage to fountain pens! If I could have had them made from actual "Sheaffer gold" I would have loved it.

I'm sure that if you had asked, a number of people could have supplied enough dead Sheaffer nibs at scrap value to do it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

:thumbup: That would have been a good idea.

-- John Purdue (1863)

....then have the Imperial fish net pattern engraved and blackened on the pens,.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

PeytonStreetPens has Fine, Medium, & Broad nibs for $12,

Thanks for the mention! Those are actually the italic nibs Sheaffer put in their calligraphy sets. But we do have NOS clear No Nonsense pens for $22 or $15 if you don't mind a few scratches picked up in storage.